Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The instructions said you should download jfxtras-labs-2.2-r6-YYYMMDD.HHMMSS-XXX-sources.jar, but the correct file is jfxtras-labs-2.2-r6-YYYMMDD.HHMMSS-XXX.jar (the one without "sources"). jfxtras-labs-2.2-r6-20150310.090059-448.jar worked for me once I spotted this.

And thanks Breser for getting me started on this. Your post #1709 was very useful to me.

I went back and looked and I used:
jfxtras-labs-2.2-r6-20150303.090104-441-sources.jar

So the sources files do work. Of course the file I used is no longer there.

Glad I was able to help.

Once I get home, I'll download a different jfxtras file. I think I tried that already, but I ended up renaming the file to match the properties file name, which might have been a mistake, or I downloaded one of the files that doesn't work.

Breser--I'll use the one you referenced.

Getting closer. I'm past the jfxtras error. Now I'm getting a series of error such similar to:

[javac] Compiling 75 source files to /Users/user/Development/Tesla/VisibleTesla/build/classes
[javac] /Users/user/Development/Tesla/VisibleTesla/src/org/noroomattheinn/visibletesla/LoginController.java:15: error: cannot find symbol
[javac] import javafx.scene.control.Dialogs;
[javac] ^
[javac] symbol: class Dialogs
[javac] location: package javafx.scene.control

I feel like I'm so close, and yet so far.

Getting closer. I'm past the jfxtras error. Now I'm getting a series of error such similar to:

[javac] Compiling 75 source files to /Users/user/Development/Tesla/VisibleTesla/build/classes
[javac] /Users/user/Development/Tesla/VisibleTesla/src/org/noroomattheinn/visibletesla/LoginController.java:15: error: cannot find symbol
[javac] import javafx.scene.control.Dialogs;
[javac] ^
[javac] symbol: class Dialogs
[javac] location: package javafx.scene.control

That vaguely looks like the one that I got and had to try to download a different version from the site for the javafx labs stuff. But I'm not sure because I didn't keep notes.

How'd you get past the jfxtras error? I haven't found a source that worked. Where did you find one?

And, if you _do_ get this all to work, it'd be great if you would describe how, or put your build scripts somewhere.

Thanks.

Folks,

I've got enough stats from beta users that I feel comfortable providing one last release that works with Tesla's new servers/APIs.

I hope to have it out today or late tonight. I'll post here when it's available. It will show a new disclaimer that says that it may cause problems with your mobile phone app. You'll have to acknowledge that and accept responsibility before using the app.

Joe

I've placed a stable version of the jfxtras jar file here:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7045813/VisibleTesla/jars/jfxtras-labs-2.2.jar

That did the trick. It now builds fine with the newer/newest version of the various ThirdParty bits. Thanks, Joe.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, I have for the last few weeks seen considerable stability in the Tesla servers when used with VT. Not sure why. Could be that I'm one of the few folks left on FW 1.67.43. But I'm not complaining. :smile:

Well in my experience the phone app is flakely regardless of using VisibleTesla. It's always telling me I don't have an internet connection when I do. I did see it tell me once that I had no cars registered while running Visible Tesla on my trip out to Coeur d'Alene. Otherwise it's just been the usual flakiness.

New Release: 0.50.06 - EXPERIMENTAL

VisibleTesla version 0.50.06 is a major overhaul of VisibleTesla. It is likely to be the last (or close to the last version) released due to changes on Tesla's part to throttle activity using their unpublished REST APIs. If your old version of VisibleTesla is still working for you, I recommend sticking with it for as long as possible. For many new owners, this is not an option.

There are many changes and new features in version 0.50.06, but the delay in releasing a new version has been based on the negative impact it can have on the operation of your official mobile phone app. If you use this version you will be presented with a disclaimer noting that you accept all responsibility for any negative consequences of running the application.

I've decided to provide the release based on statistics provided by a few alpha testers which showed that the throttling is manageable. The application tries very hard to live within the constraints that Tesla requires in terms of usage patterns. Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't publish what these constraints are, so I've been working it out through trial and error. If a lot more people start taxing their servers with VisibleTesla, they may change their posture.

NOTE: If you are an existing user of VisibleTesla, you will be prompted when the application launches for the first time telling you that your data files will be converted. Your old data files won't be touched, but I always suggest backing them up anyway. You can find them using the "Show App Files" button in Advanced Preferences.

There are three downloadable packages: one for Mac, one for Windows, and one for Linux (that one will work anywhere but requires more expertise to use).
  • Mac version
  • Windows Version
    • If you download using Chrome on Windows you may get a warning saying that this is not a well known download and that you should be careful. I've run the application through VirusTotal. It is clean. You can do the same as well if you'd like.
    • Please use the Make_Windows_Shortcut script when you install VisibleTesla for the first time on Windows. This is not new and is technically not required. However, using this approach insulates you from changes to Java that Windows might make on its own.
  • Linux Version (Generic)
I have performed most of my testing on the Mac. I've done a little testing on Windows. I've run it a total of 3-5 times on Linux just to make sure it fires up. Please consider this version highly experimental.

The documentation is not completely up to date with all of the changes, but I wanted to get the release out. I will update the online docs over time. Using the Help->Documentation menu item will take you to the online docs, so you'll see changes as they are made.

Please consider enabling the anonymous statistics gathering. See the release notes for details.

Finally, I am not confident that I've captured all of the changes in the release notes below. I think the majority of changes are listed there. If you are upgrading from a version below 0.30.00 (e.g. 0.28.01), you'll need to look through a batch of release notes, not just the latest changes that I've listed below. Use Help->What's New to see the full release notes.

All source code is current on github.

Good Luck!

VisibleTesla 0.50.06 [03-15-2015]

DISCLAIMER: Using VisibleTesla may cause Tesla Motors to limit or completely cease your remote access capability. If they do this, you will not be able to use your mobile phone application, or it's use may be impaired. The author of VisibleTesla cannot do anything to rectify this situation if it occurs. You are solely responsible for any adverse effects that stem from the use of VisibleTesla. Use it at your own risk.

• User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Addition: There are more options for exporting data. You may export only charge related data, only location data, or both. You may also export Charge cycle information and Rest cycle information.
      • Refinement: Enhancements to the exported data to make it easier to manipulate.
      • Refinement: When in sleep mode you may now interact with certain tabs without waking up your car: Login, Graphs, Trips, Scheduler, Notify, Prefs. If you interact with the Overview, HVAC, Location, or Charge Tabs, it will take you out of sleep mode as before.
    • Login
    • Overview
      • Refinement: [User Request] The button which displays the VIN or software version now cycles through three distinct values: VIN, "user level" version (e.g. 6.1), and firmware version (e.g. 2.2.92). If VisibleTesla doesn't know the relationship between a particular firmware version and a "user level" version, it will display the firmware version for both. Tesla only reports the firmware version, so VisibleTesla must do it's own conversion to firmware version.
      • Addition: The production year of the vehicle is now shown in the details dialog. The production year isn't provided by Tesla, but one of the option codes appears to correspond to the production year, so VisibleTesla is using that.
    • HVAC
    • Graphs
      • Refinement: A few minor changes to make the speed line in the Graph look a little better in the face of missing data at the beginning or end of a trip. This is purely cosmetic - no new data is being collected.
    • Trips
      • Addition: There is now an End Trip button which will explicitly end a trip that the app thinks is in progress. Normally the app will not decide a trip has been completed until there has been no movement for over 15 minutes. Thus if you arrive at home after a trip and immediately check the Trips Tab, you won't see it. Pressing the End Trip button will cause the Trip to display now, rather than 15 minutes from now.
    • Scheduler
    • Notify
      • Addition: [User Request] Now can send events when a specified odometer reading has been reached
      • Addition: [User Request] Now can send a notification if you forget your doors unlocked
      • Addition: [User Request] Now can execute an arbitrary local command in response to any notification. Run a curl script or any other program when an event occurs
      • Refinement: [User Request] Now lets you explicitly select one or more charge states for notification
      • Refinement: [User Request] Now allows you to specify up to 4 Enter and 4 Exit geofencing areas
    • Prefs
      • Refinement: Moved to a tabbed based interface for the preferences. Reorganized some of the layout as a result.
      • Refinement: The Advanced Prefs is further broken down into sections.
      • Refinement: Override settings have their own tab.
      • Refinement: New options related to anonymous data submissions.
      • Refinement: You may now limit the time period for which vampire loss data is collected. The most common use case is collect data overnight only.
  • Under-the-covers
    • Massive under-the-cover changes to almost every corner of the app.
    • New data storage subsystem that is incompatible with the old system. A one-time upgrade is performed the first time this version is run. The old data files are left in place, but they may be archived and deleted to reclaim space if desired.
    • Significant code refactoring to remove dependencies and make the code easier to work on and maintain.

Last edited:
VisibleTesla version 0.50.06 is a major overhaul of VisibleTesla. It is likely to be the last (or close to the last version) released due to changes on Tesla's part to throttle activity using their unpublished REST APIs. If your old version of VisibleTesla is still working for you, I recommend sticking with it for as long as possible. For many new owners, this is not an option.

As someone who was looking forward to using VT since before I actually ordered my P85D, and then was unable to actually use it because of the server change issues, I want to offer a very large and public THANK YOU! I have been following this thread regularly, and anxiously waiting for this day! This is far more exciting to me than Elon's tweet!

Thanks so, so much!