Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll just confirm that this new build works for me with the P85D. It says "Unknown" for the battery size, and doesn't recognize the new 2.2.200 as v6.1 (expected) and my rims show as 21 grey instead of 21 silvers.

However, this is the first non-Tesla app that actually has worked correctly first try since I received my P85D. Kudos.

I'll just confirm that this new build works for me with the P85D. It says "Unknown" for the battery size, and doesn't recognize the new 2.2.200 as v6.1 (expected) and my rims show as 21 grey instead of 21 silvers.

It didn't recognize my P85D wheels either. I have Cyclones, but it recognized them as standard wheels. But you can override the wheel selection, and other options too. Just go to Prefs/Overrides, and make whatever selections you like. 21" silver is an option there.

However, this is the first non-Tesla app that actually has worked correctly first try since I received my P85D. Kudos.

If you quit the app and restart, it should detect 2.2.200 as 6.1. Let me know if it doesn't.

For those who care, here's what's going on:

• Your car reports the firmware version number (i.e. 2.2.200), not the software version number (i.e. 6.1)
  • VisibleTesla comes bundled with a file that has a list of firmware version numbers and their corresponding software version numbers
  • VisibleTesla looks up your firmware version in that file to determine the software version
  • If the firmware version isn't found in that file, VisibleTesla downloads a new version of the file from the web. That file may have more recent information in it. If it does, the correct software version will be displayed. If not, it will display the firmware version in place of the software version.
  • VisibleTesla will only download that file one time per application launch. If I haven't updated it yet, you'll need to relaunch to force it to check again.

Joe

- - - Reply to: Andyw2100 - - -

It didn't recognize my P85D wheels either. I have Cyclones, but it recognized them as standard wheels. But you can override the wheel selection, and other options too. Just go to Prefs/Overrides, and make whatever selections you like. 21" silver is an option there.

It would help me out if you could send me some information to help me fix this. If you're willing, go to the Overview Tab and press the Details button. Copy the text from the window that pops up and send it to me at joe AT visibletesla DOT com.

Feel free to edit out your VIN and the UID's at the very end. Be sure to include the line that begins with "Low level information"

Thanks,
Joe

Joe - just to validate - if we lost access to the old servers with the API and VisibleTesla before, does this version get around that - or are we still locked out. Both the API and VT worked for my S85 and then P85. But stopped working with my P85D. I just now grabbed the Mac version and tried it out and it's not taking my username and password. Didn't know if this version "worked around" those credential/server issues or if this update is really just some nice improvements for users who's accounts *still* had access to the API.

Thanks!

Joe - just to validate - if we lost access to the old servers with the API and VisibleTesla before, does this version get around that - or are we still locked out. Both the API and VT worked for my S85 and then P85. But stopped working with my P85D. I just now grabbed the Mac version and tried it out and it's not taking my username and password. Didn't know if this version "worked around" those credential/server issues or if this update is really just some nice improvements for users who's accounts *still* had access to the API.

Thanks!

Version 0.50.06 works with the new APIs and should allow you to log in. What error are you getting when you try to log in? Can you log in from your phone?

It would help me out if you could send me some information to help me fix this. If you're willing, go to the Overview Tab and press the Details button. Copy the text from the window that pops up and send it to me at joe AT visibletesla DOT com.

Feel free to edit out your VIN and the UID's at the very end. Be sure to include the line that begins with "Low level information"

Thanks,
Joe

Email with the details has been sent. Very glad to hear that you're still working on fixing things. For some reason I mistakenly thought that you were finished updating VT for the time-being.

I'll actually describe something else going on that may be of interest to you. Or perhaps there's a simple explanation that I'm missing, since I am new to VT.

I've been playing around a bit with the geofencing notifications. I'm noticing that the notifications are usually being sent 10-15 minutes after the condition is being met. At first I thought it could just be delays in the emailing system, so I customized the messages with the {{TIME}} function, so the messages now arrive with the timestamp of when they were generated. And they are being generated late some of the time, but not all of the time.

I understand that some notifications and actions can take place with a delay, if the car has been sleeping. But I don't think this could be an issue related to the car sleeping because some of the time when the notifications have been sent with a delay, the car has been awake for quite some time. As an example, this morning my wife preheated the car, using the iPhone app for about 15-20 minutes, before leaving for work. Yet the geofenced notification came with a time-stamp 15 or 20 minutes after she had actually left for work.

This isn't a big deal. I just thought I'd let you know about it to see if you or someone else might be able to enlighten me as to what might be going on.

Interestingly, other notifications not involving a geofenced area seem to be coming when they should be. I set an unplugged notification for 9:55 PM, and left the car unplugged, to test it. I received that notification right at 9:55 PM.

Thanks!

Edit: I went and re-read the part of the manual that deals with sleep mode. I'm now wondering if the following could be coming into play:

• Even while the app is sleeping, it checks the car periodically to see if it is awake. This check will not wake up a sleeping car. If it is awake, VisibleTesla will collect some data but then remember not to bother the car again for 30 minutes. That's enough time for it to go to sleep if it wants. If, after collecting this data, the app notices that not only is the car awake, but it is moving or charging, it won't wait another 30 minutes to check back in. It will continue to speak to the car regularly until motion or charging stop.

Edit Number 2: The more I think about this, the more I think my issue was tied to the bullet point above. I have now scheduled VT to enter and exit sleep mode, such that it should be in "always awake" mode whenever the car can't be sleeping anyway. Assuming I have done this correctly, I'm guessing this will resolve the issue I was seeing.

Is it safe to assume that the scheduler commands of "Sleep" and "Awake" override the menu option inactivity mode commands when they trigger? So I should leave the menu option inactivity mode set to "Allow Sleeping" and my scheduled "Awake" command will then override the menu option inactivity mode setting when it triggers, and then the "Sleep" command will put VT back into sleep mode when it triggers?

Thanks!

Edit Number 3: If the answer to my question, "Is it safe to assume..." above is "yes", then am I also correct that the scheduler times won't operate unless that time is reached? In other words, my setting all this up today, and quitting and restarting the app, did not actually take the app out of sleep mode, because I have it set to switch to awake mode at 4:55 AM, and I set all this up well after that, so the app never saw 4:55 AM, so never switched modes. In other words, the app does not check what mode it is supposed to be in, based on the time, when it starts. Is this right?

If all of my assumptions above are correct, then VT is probably functioning for me as it should be, though I'm not certain of that yet, as I missed geofenced notifications and trip-recording this afternoon too. I think these were missed because of the 30 minute issue with VT not checking the car, in case the car wanted to go to sleep. However, if my having scheduled the awake time, and restarted VT should have put VT into awake mode, then something else is going on.

Last edited:
Version 0.50.06 works with the new APIs and should allow you to log in. What error are you getting when you try to log in? Can you log in from your phone?

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 10.49.34 AM.png

Same username/password works fine on my iPhone. I am copying and pasting my password in - maybe there's something in there it doesn't like. I'll try manually typing it in...

** update **

Just logged out of My Tesla - logged in, said my account was locked even though my iPhone app was still working. Seems as though I get locked out frequently even though everything was still working. I reset it and it's now working fine. Thanks!!

Last edited:
I can't login and seeing the same message although I'm on an old version and Check for updates does nothing :(

I could be wrong, but I think version 0.50.06 is a completely new and rewritten version that probably won't automatically download as an update to a previous version. You might want to try installing the new version from scratch, from the download link provided in this thread a couple of pages back.

VT 0.50.06 is, in general, working fine with my 85D delivered a few weeks ago.

However, I have been unable to get the VT REST Services to work. I have enabled it but whenever I attempt to access it I get a "this webpage is not available" on a browser or "(7) Failed to connect ... Connection refused" when using CURL.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Hi all. Just took delivery of 85D and of course thrilled. Had downloaded this app 6 mos ago and was playing around with it but now cannot login. Seems VT 0.50.06 is the current version. Mine was 28 I think.
Problem is that it does not recognize me and cannot login. Have searched web and this thread. Cannot see how to reset PW. Tried to find VT 0.50.06 but cannot find a site to download it.
Would like to begin using this excellent app now that I actually have the car but can see how to proceed.
I know this is a most basic question... but can anyone suggest how to either reset PW or get newest version?
Thanks in advance.

Replying to my own post... did a bit more due diligence (thought I had done a moderate amount but fell 5 min short).
Found the post 3 pages back about getting the new app.
Disclaimer is too frightening for me (Tesla may restrict acess to iphone app, etc). I am not a techie or programmer so I'm going to hold off.
Will watch with interest until there is more experience/app is "safer" for non tech people to use.
Very impressive effort on Joel's part.

Just upgraded to the new Version of VT on windows and it seems to work flawless. We had not been able to log since switching to the P85D. This is just super terrific. The disclaimers are there. Not concerned. Joe & other team members: Big Thank You Again.

Edit: I went and re-read the part of the manual that deals with sleep mode. I'm now wondering if the following could be coming into play:

• Even while the app is sleeping, it checks the car periodically to see if it is awake. This check will not wake up a sleeping car. If it is awake, VisibleTesla will collect some data but then remember not to bother the car again for 30 minutes. That's enough time for it to go to sleep if it wants. If, after collecting this data, the app notices that not only is the car awake, but it is moving or charging, it won't wait another 30 minutes to check back in. It will continue to speak to the car regularly until motion or charging stop.

Edit Number 2: The more I think about this, the more I think my issue was tied to the bullet point above. I have now scheduled VT to enter and exit sleep mode, such that it should be in "always awake" mode whenever the car can't be sleeping anyway. Assuming I have done this correctly, I'm guessing this will resolve the issue I was seeing.

Is it safe to assume that the scheduler commands of "Sleep" and "Awake" override the menu option inactivity mode commands when they trigger? So I should leave the menu option inactivity mode set to "Allow Sleeping" and my scheduled "Awake" command will then override the menu option inactivity mode setting when it triggers, and then the "Sleep" command will put VT back into sleep mode when it triggers?

Thanks!

Edit Number 3: If the answer to my question, "Is it safe to assume..." above is "yes", then am I also correct that the scheduler times won't operate unless that time is reached? In other words, my setting all this up today, and quitting and restarting the app, did not actually take the app out of sleep mode, because I have it set to switch to awake mode at 4:55 AM, and I set all this up well after that, so the app never saw 4:55 AM, so never switched modes. In other words, the app does not check what mode it is supposed to be in, based on the time, when it starts. Is this right?

If all of my assumptions above are correct, then VT is probably functioning for me as it should be, though I'm not certain of that yet, as I missed geofenced notifications and trip-recording this afternoon too. I think these were missed because of the 30 minute issue with VT not checking the car, in case the car wanted to go to sleep. However, if my having scheduled the awake time, and restarted VT should have put VT into awake mode, then something else is going on.

So I think I've been answering some of my own questions.

I'm still not 100% certain that the geofencing is working as I expect it to, but I think there's a good chance that it is.

I have discovered that the scheduler aspect of things works as I guessed it did above, with the addition, that I should have realized, that the "mode" which is set by the menu option is just overridden / changed by the scheduler.

I believe that because I have now scheduled VT to keep the car awake when I know the car is going to be awake anyway, all should function properly. I'll confirm that in a few days.

I think the geofencing is working fine it's just the servers are finicky. If I look at my trips I'll often large swaths where signal coverage is good but location wasn't recorded...

That may be as well. But I am pretty sure part of my issue was that because of the way I had VT set, it would not check my car for 30 minutes at a stretch, so would miss a lot. As I said, I think I have resolved that now, and just haven't had the chance to test it much yet.

Thanks for the additional info.

Quick question... To get scheduling to work with different daily rates, does VT need to be open 24/7 on my desktop or perhaps does it need to be opened at least once daily to set the latest charge limit for that night?

I'd like to set a 60% charge limit during the week starting at around 5am and 90% on weekends starting at 7am to minimize overall time spent at high SOC while simultaneously taking advantage of PG&E differences in weekday/weekend electrical rates (EVA time-of-day rate plan).

VT needs to be running at the time you want a scheduled event to occur. There isn't a way for VT to tell the car to schedule an event, so it needs to be running to execute the specified command itself. Even the in-car charge scheduler can not be set through the API.