Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some debugging on this.

After rebooting it again connects just fine on my Wifi and everything is working normally. So I believe there is some sort of bug in Tesla's VPN implementation, possibly specific to NATs that pops up sometimes. I sent a bug report to Tesla Service. So I'm pretty confident at this point in time that my use of VisibleTesla had nothing to do with this (or if it did it was just a trigger for a bug and not deliberate throttling on the part of Tesla).

See my somewhat related post here. This happened to me just today. (Well, yesterday now.)

Did your Tesla iPhone App refuse to connect this morning? - Page 3

I hadn't had the problem in quite a while, using the android app. I used to have the issue much more frequently. Today I experienced it with the android app, as did my wife with the iPhone app. The car was parked at home, so I believe it may have been an issue where it thought it had a wifi connection, but the connection had somehow been lost, but no 3G connection was established. I rebooted the car, a 3G connection was established, and all was well.

The symptoms and cure are identical.

See my somewhat related post here. This happened to me just today. (Well, yesterday now.)

Did your Tesla iPhone App refuse to connect this morning? - Page 3

The symptoms and cure are identical.

i too have seen this previously, when we were originally giving Joe feedback and Joe mentioned that the traffic for VT was now reduced significantly. Perhaps TM is throttling upload, though not sure why as VT uploads less than running phone apps. I found this worst when running a vt and iPhone app simultaneously.

btw: remember that disclaimer on startup re. You may lose connectivity. ;-)

Last edited:
i too have seen this previously, when we were originally giving Joe feedback and Joe mentioned that the traffic for VT was now reduced significantly. Perhaps TM is throttling upload, though not sure why as VT uploads less than running phone apps. I found this worst when running a vt and iPhone app simultaneously.

btw: remember that disclaimer on startup re. You may lose connectivity. ;-)

From reading breser's post, and from reading others' posts elsewhere, it sounds like this has nothing whatsoever to do with throttling. If it were a throttling issue, a simple reboot would not resolve the issue. I think breser is exactly correct: as I understand it, and in layman's terms, there is some sort of intermittent bug that prevents the connection to the servers when connected through wifi. Based on reports in other threads, I'd say this has absolutely nothing to do with VT.

From reading breser's post, and from reading others' posts elsewhere, it sounds like this has nothing whatsoever to do with throttling. If it were a throttling issue, a simple reboot would not resolve the issue. I think breser is exactly correct: as I understand it, and in layman's terms, there is some sort of intermittent bug that prevents the connection to the servers when connected through wifi. Based on reports in other threads, I'd say this has absolutely nothing to do with VT.

I'm pretty sure that Tesla is aware of this bug too. I sent them a bug report about this and detailed all the things I did to diagnose this and explained that ultimately it was resolved by the touch screen reboot. Tesla responded with a very canned response telling me to reboot the touch screen and a picture showing how to do it.

The important bit of there email is this sentence

Please perform a touch screen reboot to reinitialize the network settings (picture instruction is shown below) and then try to reconnect with myTesla mobile application.

Based on this and the behavior I saw I'm pretty sure that the problem is that the routing table was busted for the wifi network interface and so traffic was probably not being sent properly. I've seen this with computers from time to time. So it's not terribly surprising to me.

I'm positive this has nothing to do with throttling because VisibleTesla and the apps will immediately start working if you disable the wifi. And then immediately stop working when you enable it again. On top of that I've observed that no traffic to/from Tesla was actually occurring in this state. If there was throttling I'd expect the car to still be able to connect to Tesla and communicate with them. They have complete control over what the car does and I don't see any reason for them to mess with that behavior. But the car was unable to talk to Tesla. If nothing else this same issue presents a problem for Tesla in being able to reach the car for their own diagnostic reasons.

If you're curious about how the network communications work and want some details then keep reading...

For the most part all communications with the car have to be initiated by the car. The reason for this is that the car may be behind a network that has a NAT or firewall that prevents connections from being made to it. This is a pretty standard behavior these days for a network to disallow connections that aren't specifically configured to be allowed to go to various devices. But outbound connections are typically not limited.

So whenever the car is on and running it connects to Tesla and has a VPN to them. Over this VPN then Tesla can initiate connections to the car. Basically the inbound communications are tunneled over an originally outbound communication channel. If the car can't open that communication channel then Tesla can't reach the car.

I'm not entirely clear how the car is woken when it's asleep. I haven't looked into how that works too much but my guess would be every so often the car wakes up, connects into Tesla and sends a message basically asking "Should I wake up?" Tesla then says yes and then the car wakes up and brings up the VPN to allow the app and everything works from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Another bit of proof it's not related to VisibleTesla. Everything was working fine last night with the Android App when I went to bed. Got up this morning and it's back to doing it again. Realized that VisibleTesla wasn't running since yesterday sometime because my desktop had crashed. I know it was crashed when I came home but I didn't think about it. So between me restarting the touch screen and it breaking again this morning, VisibleTesla wasn't being used at all. Restarting the touch screen resolved the problem again. Tesla has some sort of bug.

I'm pretty sure that Tesla is aware of this bug too. I sent them a bug report about this and detailed all the things I did to diagnose this and explained that ultimately it was resolved by the touch screen reboot. Tesla responded with a very canned response telling me to reboot the touch screen and a picture showing how to do it.

The important bit of there email is this sentence

Based on this and the behavior I saw I'm pretty sure that the problem is that the routing table was busted for the wifi network interface and so traffic was probably not being sent properly. I've seen this with computers from time to time. So it's not terribly surprising to me.

I'm positive this has nothing to do with throttling because VisibleTesla and the apps will immediately start working if you disable the wifi. And then immediately stop working when you enable it again. On top of that I've observed that no traffic to/from Tesla was actually occurring in this state. If there was throttling I'd expect the car to still be able to connect to Tesla and communicate with them. They have complete control over what the car does and I don't see any reason for them to mess with that behavior. But the car was unable to talk to Tesla. If nothing else this same issue presents a problem for Tesla in being able to reach the car for their own diagnostic reasons.

If you're curious about how the network communications work and want some details then keep reading...

For the most part all communications with the car have to be initiated by the car. The reason for this is that the car may be behind a network that has a NAT or firewall that prevents connections from being made to it. This is a pretty standard behavior these days for a network to disallow connections that aren't specifically configured to be allowed to go to various devices. But outbound connections are typically not limited.

So whenever the car is on and running it connects to Tesla and has a VPN to them. Over this VPN then Tesla can initiate connections to the car. Basically the inbound communications are tunneled over an originally outbound communication channel. If the car can't open that communication channel then Tesla can't reach the car.

I'm not entirely clear how the car is woken when it's asleep. I haven't looked into how that works too much but my guess would be every so often the car wakes up, connects into Tesla and sends a message basically asking "Should I wake up?" Tesla then says yes and then the car wakes up and brings up the VPN to allow the app and everything works from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Another bit of proof it's not related to VisibleTesla. Everything was working fine last night with the Android App when I went to bed. Got up this morning and it's back to doing it again. Realized that VisibleTesla wasn't running since yesterday sometime because my desktop had crashed. I know it was crashed when I came home but I didn't think about it. So between me restarting the touch screen and it breaking again this morning, VisibleTesla wasn't being used at all. Restarting the touch screen resolved the problem again. Tesla has some sort of bug.

Thanks. Sounds definitely more like this. I stand corrected, looks like it's NOT throttling per se.

how are you doing your network analysis Breser?

Has anyone run Visible Tesla on a Kindle Fire?

Honestly not sure why you'd want to do that. I'd assume that if you extracted the APK you could get Tesla's Android App running on a Kindle Fire (don't think it has access to Google's Play Store). Sure there's some functionality that VisibleTesla has but I'm assuming you mostly want it on a Fire for remote controls.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Sounds definitely more like this. I stand corrected, looks like it's NOT throttling per se.

how are you doing your network analysis Breser?

My firewall is a Linux box. So I'm just running tcpdump on it and filtering based on IP. I haven't done too much digging into the traffic to/from Tesla but from what I understood it's just an encrypted VPN so not much point in bothering.

My firewall is a Linux box. So I'm just running tcpdump on it and filtering based on IP. I haven't done too much digging into the traffic to/from Tesla but from what I understood it's just an encrypted VPN so not much point in bothering.

Thanks, was thinking of putting dd-wrt on my linksys router, though unsure of additional value for this.

Your comment on VPN is interesting. Anyone know what flavor / key type is being used?

From what other people have said in the past I believe it's OpenVPN that they're using. But I haven't personally poked at the VPN network traffic to figure out what it is. I'm not overly interested in poking at it as long as it works.

Thanks. I'm less interested in any kind of reverse-engineering, more that I'd like to know which modules are updated. This will give significant hints at which systems are being modified. I'd much prefer a change list, though that appears to be a pipe dream...

Honestly not sure why you'd want to do that. I'd assume that if you extracted the APK you could get Tesla's Android App running on a Kindle Fire (don't think it has access to Google's Play Store). Sure there's some functionality that VisibleTesla has but I'm assuming you mostly want it on a Fire for remote controls.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to run Visible Tesla on my Fire so that I can get notifications sent to my Android phone while traveling.

Visible Tesla gives me a "login failed make sure you use your email for the credential" error message. I posted in the my tesla forum and others are reporting the same issue. I just got my MS yesterday and the mobile app works fine but VT won't let me login.

Visible Tesla gives me a "login failed make sure you use your email for the credential" error message. I posted in the my tesla forum and others are reporting the same issue. I just got my MS yesterday and the mobile app works fine but VT won't let me login.

What version of VT are you trying to use? Are you aware of the issue with the server change, etc.? Read back a few posts--probably just a page or two--for someone with a similar question that I answered with references to the posts that gave the details you may need as well.

Edit: Here are the links for you, from my other post. (Was in a rush earlier, and didn't have time to look for the post.):

There were major changes made by Tesla, requiring major changes to Visible Tesla.

You need the version of the software available in this post:

VisibleTesla - Page 174

Edit: This post explains the background: VisibleTesla - Page 154

Last edited:
The old version stopped working a few months ago. I launched it to see if it worked before I downloaded the latest version and it seems to be working again. Guess I'll stick with the old version for now. Great to have it back.