Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question, is there any way to get a notification of a software update? I have an Android phone which doesn't have Tesla notifications so it would be nice if Visible Tesla could let me know.

Thanks for a great app!
Are you asking about a notification when there is an update pending or when an update has just occurred? There's not enough information available form the APIs to implement the former. The latter is possible, but there hasn't been any interest in that to date.

Joe

Some abnormal stats have been submitted

Folks,

Some of you have enabled anonymous submission of statistics information (thank you!) and I've noticed a couple of odd things. I'd like to get your input while maintaining your anonymity. To facilitate that, I've placed a form on visibletesla.com that allows you to submit information without having to supply your email address or other identifying information. You can provide it if you want, but you don't need to.

The user with anonymous App ID:
7aaceb881b63d8fd40af78883a9a28304e56181194b43f28d65f3fc1b9284fa8

• You have a very high percentage of failed requests to Tesla's servers. I wonder whether you are often in a zone without cell or wifi coverage. If not, Tesla may be throttling your access. I'd appreciate knowing which it is if you are willing to share. You can send me an anonymous response by clicking here and filling out the form.
  • To determine whether this is you, press the Details button on the Overview Tab and scroll to the bottom of the window. You'll see the App UUID and the Vehicle UUID displayed there. Check whether your App ID matches the one given above.

Thanks,
Joe

jpasqua,

When I click on the Details button of Visible Tesla, there is no such App UUID or Vehicle UUID listed anywhere in that window.

I'm having several other problems with the app as well, including that the Graphs don't appear to continuously gather data like the documentation says (many gaps, despite setting Inactivity Mode to Stay Awake and setting the car's Energy Saving off). Also, many of the options that the app is reading from the vehicle are not correct or are listed as Null.

I think some of this may be related to the fact that this is a new 85D, whereas it looks like the app only recognizes as an 85.

Features Request

Jpasqua,

First and foremost, thank you so much for Visible Tesla. I hope that, some day, Tesla Motors will officially support third-party apps and you will be able to monetize your effort. I would gladly pay for it. In the meantime, I would love the following additional features:

1) HTTP command to turn on climate control

2) Additional variables (to be used in a custom web page) containing TRIP time, miles and energy (KWh)

3) Expose additional information already known to VT in the form of variables (again, to be used in a custom web page). Some examples: Car Locked/Unlocked, HVAC On/Off, Internal and External Temp and Climate Control Set Point, and so forth

4) Ability to run VT on Windows as a service

5) Ability to run VT on iOS (either as a "thick" or "thin" app). I believe that would mean removing the dependency on Java.

I hope the above provides some food for thought.

Thanks so much again.

Hi 1NJ85D,

Comments are inline below.

Jpasqua,

First and foremost, thank you so much for Visible Tesla. I hope that, some day, Tesla Motors will officially support third-party apps and you will be able to monetize your effort. I would gladly pay for it. In the meantime, I would love the following additional features:
Thank you. Even if Tesla decides to support third party apps, I have no plans to monetize VisibleTesla. It's always been done for fun.

1) HTTP command to turn on climate control
Since turning on the AC is directly supported by Tesla's REST service, you can invoke it yourself without involving VT. Are there reasons it would be more useful/easy to do this via VT than going directly to Tesla's API?
2) Additional variables (to be used in a custom web page) containing TRIP time, miles and energy (KWh)
Are you asking for the time remaining in a trip that has been entered into NAV and is currently underway? If so, I don't think there is a way to get to this information in Tesla's APIs. If I missed it, someone please let me know.

3) Expose additional information already known to VT in the form of variables (again, to be used in a custom web page). Some examples: Car Locked/Unlocked, HVAC On/Off, Internal and External Temp and Climate Control Set Point, and so forth

There is no problem adding these. I just need a block of time to do it.

4) Ability to run VT on Windows as a service
5) Ability to run VT on iOS (either as a "thick" or "thin" app). I believe that would mean removing the dependency on Java.
I would like to refactor VT so that the UI is decoupled from the backend. That would allow it to be run as a service and display the UI on any device including iOS. This is not likely to ever happen for a couple of reasons, primary among which are:

1. It would be a lot of work and I just don't have the time.
  2. Given that Tesla is not supporting third party developers (and actually just made it much harder) I probably won't risk putting a lot more effort into VT. I'll just do minor updates as I have time.

Last edited:
Hi 1NJ85D,
Since turning on the AC is directly supported by Tesla's REST service, you can invoke it yourself without involving VT. Are there reasons it would be more useful/easy to do this via VT than going directly to Tesla's API?

I agree it would be best to go straight to the Tesla API. The caveat is that I can do some coding but am not a programmer. I was able to get the old interface going with CURL but I have not even seen detailed documentation of the new interface. I would love some pointers, if you could. I do not wake up at the same time every day. My home automation system knows at what time I wake up and leave the house and I could use that to call an HTTP URL to turn on the climate control 30 mins before I leave.

Are you asking for the time remaining in a trip that has been entered into NAV and is currently underway? If so, I don't think there is a way to get to this information in Tesla's APIs. If I missed it, someone please let me know.

I am looking for time/distance/energy accumulated since starting the current trip at 0 / 0 / 0. In other words, the simple "trip computer" many of us had in our ICEs and now miss in the Model S. My "vision" is to have a VT custom page running on the Model S's web browser.

Having the above request for an HTTP command to turn on the climate control reminds of something I would find very useful, if someone knows how to do it.
I'm new to the Tesla world, but have had a LEAF for nearly four years. The remote command I use the most often is to turn on the climate control. Someone wrote a short script which could be put on a server so all I had to do was bring up a bookmarked web page to turn on the climate control. This was very useful because the Nissan app was VERY slow. The Tesla app is much faster, but it still takes three button presses to turn on the climate control. The script and instructions were provided so one could put it on one's own server and provide that server with the needed account and password.
Would that be easy to do for the Yesla? Any volunteers?

First i want to say what a wonderfull software programme VT is! Unbelievable Tesla doesn't make one of its own.

Then my question:
I tried to export the gps-data but don't get prompted where to save the kml-file. Hope someone can help me soon because i need the tracking data of next weekend.

Last edited:
Any chance it would be possible to have VT continue trying to connect to the car if it doesn't seem to be available? Mine times out with the "Unable to communicate with your Tesla" message. Basically everywhere my car is usually parked has no cell or WiFi reception, so coordinating the opening of VT with one of the times the car is out and about can be tricky since I'm by definition away from my desk.

Still no luck with the Graphs tab not working. I've tried all the loading options in preferences. I guess I have to wipe out my data files and start over?

It would be helpful if you indicated which OS you're running VT in, and which version of VT.

OS is (edit) Windows 7 Professional
and VT 0.50.00

- - - Updated - - -

Any chance it would be possible to have VT continue trying to connect to the car if it doesn't seem to be available? Mine times out with the "Unable to communicate with your Tesla" message. Basically everywhere my car is usually parked has no cell or WiFi reception, so coordinating the opening of VT with one of the times the car is out and about can be tricky since I'm by definition away from my desk.

Still no luck with the Graphs tab not working. I've tried all the loading options in preferences. I guess I have to wipe out my data files and start over?

Tthe car is in the garage at home and thus has wifi-reception. Plus the "map-it" function does work flawless.

Last edited:
- - - Reply to FVO - - -

Since you say you are trying to export kml data I assume you are in the trips tab and are using the "Export It!" button. That's the part of the app that exports a KMZ file.

To make this work you must select one or more trips at which point the "Export It!" button will be enabled. If you don't select a trip the button will be grayed out and nothing will happen if you try to click it.

If you've selected a trip and the button is not gray and you press it without seeing a dialog box pop up, then there is a problem. In this case I suggest that you upgrade to 0.50.07 and try again. If it doesn't work, please check the log file and send it me if you can. For details on where to find the log file, check the Troubleshooting section of the FAQ.

Joe

- - - Reply to Gizmotoy - - -

Gizmotoy,

I sent you a PM requesting some information that will help me look into your problem.

Joe

- - - Reply to FVO - - -

If you've selected a trip and the button is not gray and you press it without seeing a dialog box pop up, then there is a problem. In this case I suggest that you upgrade to 0.50.07 and try again. If it doesn't work, please check the log file and send it me if you can. For details on where to find the log file, check the Troubleshooting section of the FAQ.

- - - Reply to Gizmotoy - - -

Joe

Joe,

Edit, i have version 0.50.07 on a windows 7 Pro. OS :redface:.
Could you send me by pm your emailadres?

Last edited:
Love this program!

I run VisibleTesla 0.50.07 on an iMac in Norway. We use Kilometers an meters as units, not miles.
VT shovs km on all tabs except trips tab. My trips come up with miles not km. Same happens when i use map it. When i hover my mouse pointer over part of my trip graph it shows miles, mph and feet, not km, km/t and meters as expected.
Range in lower right corner under my trips is in km as it should.
Any idea hov to solve this? Is it a software glitch ?

On my PC running Win7 Ultimate 64 bit the, "Make PC Shortcut" script does not work. I have to manually create a shortcut from the icon and then edit the shortcut properties to point to the vtrunner.bat file to get VT to work. Not a big deal but just FYI. Great program. Wish there was an android version.

- - - Reply to X-rayangiodoc - - -

On my PC running Win7 Ultimate 64 bit the, "Make PC Shortcut" script does not work. I have to manually create a shortcut from the icon and then edit the shortcut properties to point to the vtrunner.bat file to get VT to work. Not a big deal but just FYI. Great program. Wish there was an android version.

Can you tell me what happens when when you double-click "Make PC Shortcut"? Do you get an error dialog, does it silently fail to put an icon on your desktop? Something else? "Make PC Shortcut" is a very small Visual Basic Program (just a text file). If you're comfortable doing so, you can open it up and put in some print statements to see where it is going belly up.

- - - Reply to Rawen - - -

Love this program!

I run VisibleTesla 0.50.07 on an iMac in Norway. We use Kilometers an meters as units, not miles.
VT shovs km on all tabs except trips tab. My trips come up with miles not km. Same happens when i use map it. When i hover my mouse pointer over part of my trip graph it shows miles, mph and feet, not km, km/t and meters as expected.
Range in lower right corner under my trips is in km as it should.
Any idea hov to solve this? Is it a software glitch ?

Yup, that's a bug. It got broken during some major changes I made a while back. Thank you for letting me know. The fix is in github and will be in the next release.

Joe

Last edited: