Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision and Auto Emergency Braking issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching and didn’t find a specific result so here I am before anyone makes a comment.

I know the auto brake has been discussed numerous times. Lately with the switch to vision it’s been activating almost every time I drive. I live in South Korea, if anyone’s ever driven here you’ll know it’s terrible. From the tiny roads to the random braking with no one in front of said car. Some of the roads are so congested that it takes hours to go 4km.

My issue is the car is constantly beeping at me showing red cars on the screen that aren’t a worry to me at all but the car seems to think there’s a threat. Even on auto pilot it’s always hitting the brakes on the highway which makes other drivers stare at me as if I’m brake checking them on purpose or something.

My main issue is the auto emergency braking. If I forget to turn it off when I start my drive there’s a 99% chance it’s going to get set off. This is an issue because cars are in such close proximity to me that I feel I’m about to get rear ended. usually when it happens it takes a second for the car to let me start driving again and there’s constant horns going off behind me, as well as dirty looks. It’s gotten so bad that I’ve actually considered selling the car. I don’t know why it cannot be permanently disabled but if there is a way that you guys know of, please let me know because it has caused a lot of issues so far. One incident almost came to a fist fight. Another cause my eighty year-old mother to spilled coffee all over the front seat and her lap. I have a sticky note on my screen to remind me to disable every time I drive. I feel like on such an advanced car, This should not be an issue to be having. I feel like I can’t use any of the auto features that the car is known for like auto pilot. My car doesn’t even want to accelerate in traffic on auto pilot is turned on. I don’t really care too much for the auto pilot but I do want the auto E breaking to stop. I have emailed Tesla numerous times and not gotten a response. I wish I could say I was exaggerating on how much this activates, but I am not.

I have tried re-calibrating the cameras, and reset the car and done everything I can that I found when searching. I have cleaned all the camera lenses and made sure there was nothing on my windshield. I have even tried re-calibrating the cameras at different lighting conditions, thinking maybe it was something with a glare that caused it. I’m literally grasping at straws here. anyone have any clue what can be going on? Since the switch to vision, the car has had about six different updates, and it is the same with every single one.

I don’t know why it cannot be permanently disabled but if there is a way that you guys know of, please let me know because it has caused a lot of issues so far.

There is no way to permanently disable automatic emergency braking. It says so directly in the tesla model 3 manual (bolded emphasis on the statement from tesla applied by me)
===============================

Automatic Emergency Braking​

Model 3 is designed to determine the distance from a detected object traveling in front of it. When a frontal collision is considered unavoidable, Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to apply the brakes to reduce the vehicle's speed and therefore, the severity of the impact. The amount of speed that is reduced depends on many factors, including driving speed and environment.
When Automatic Emergency Braking applies the brakes, the touchscreen displays a visual warning and sounds a chime. You may also notice abrupt downward movement of the brake pedal. The brake lights turn on to alert other road users that you are slowing down.
Green letter A within a circle
Emergency braking in progress
Automatic Emergency Braking operates only when driving between approximately 3 mph (5 km/h) and 90 mph (150 km/h).
Automatic Emergency Braking does not apply the brakes, or stops applying the brakes, when:
  • You turn the steering wheel sharply.
  • You press and release the brake pedal while Automatic Emergency Braking is applying the brakes.
  • You accelerate hard while Automatic Emergency Braking is applying the brakes.
  • The vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian is no longer detected ahead.
Automatic Emergency Braking is always enabled when you start Model 3. To disable it for your current drive, touch Controls > Autopilot > Automatic Emergency Braking. Even if you disable Automatic Emergency Braking, your vehicle may still apply the brakes after detecting an initial collision to reduce further impact (see Multi-Collision Braking).

I tried searching and didn’t find a specific result so here I am before anyone makes a comment.

I know the auto brake has been discussed numerous times. Lately with the switch to vision it’s been activating almost every time I drive. I live in South Korea, if anyone’s ever driven here you’ll know it’s terrible. From the tiny roads to the random braking with no one in front of said car. Some of the roads are so congested that it takes hours to go 4km.

My issue is the car is constantly beeping at me showing red cars on the screen that aren’t a worry to me at all but the car seems to think there’s a threat. Even on auto pilot it’s always hitting the brakes on the highway which makes other drivers stare at me as if I’m brake checking them on purpose or something.

My main issue is the auto emergency braking. If I forget to turn it off when I start my drive there’s a 99% chance it’s going to get set off. This is an issue because cars are in such close proximity to me that I feel I’m about to get rear ended. usually when it happens it takes a second for the car to let me start driving again and there’s constant horns going off behind me, as well as dirty looks. It’s gotten so bad that I’ve actually considered selling the car. I don’t know why it cannot be permanently disabled but if there is a way that you guys know of, please let me know because it has caused a lot of issues so far. One incident almost came to a fist fight. Another cause my eighty year-old mother to spilled coffee all over the front seat and her lap. I have a sticky note on my screen to remind me to disable every time I drive. I feel like on such an advanced car, This should not be an issue to be having. I feel like I can’t use any of the auto features that the car is known for like auto pilot. My car doesn’t even want to accelerate in traffic on auto pilot is turned on. I don’t really care too much for the auto pilot but I do want the auto E breaking to stop. I have emailed Tesla numerous times and not gotten a response. I wish I could say I was exaggerating on how much this activates, but I am not.

I have tried re-calibrating the cameras, and reset the car and done everything I can that I found when searching. I have cleaned all the camera lenses and made sure there was nothing on my windshield. I have even tried re-calibrating the cameras at different lighting conditions, thinking maybe it was something with a glare that caused it. I’m literally grasping at straws here. anyone have any clue what can be going on? Since the switch to vision, the car has had about six different updates, and it is the same with every single one.
Well, you recalibrated the cameras, which seems like the most likely source of the problem. At this point, you should make a service appt.

You should take some videos, from behind the driver, showing the AEB alerts, and the distance ahead to other vehicles, might be useful when you go to the SC.

I’ve made service appointments twice. Both times they didn’t do anything but scan the car and drive it around the block from the videos on the dash cam. One time they did replace the drivers side camera but this was before this issue back in July when I first got the car. And they are the ones who suggested recalibrating the cameras.

As far as turning down the sensitivity how is that done ? I’m assuming Tesla has to do it?

You can change the sensitivity of the forward collision warning, so check that setting and change it if possible.

As far as turning down the sensitivity how is that done ? I’m assuming Tesla has to do it?

From the same tesla model 3 manual I linked above, there is a description of the feature @EVRider-FL is talking about, as well as how to adjust it. Note that this is also a setting that defaults to on at each drive, according to the manual:

==================================

Forward Collision Warning​

Model 3 monitors the area in front of it for the presence of an object such as a vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian. If a collision is considered likely unless you take immediate corrective action, Forward Collision Warning is designed to sound a chime and highlight the vehicle in front of you in red on the touchscreen. If this happens, TAKE IMMEDIATE CORRECTIVE ACTION!
Screenshot of the detected vehicle in front of the Tesla highlighted in red
Visual, audible, and haptic feedback warnings cancel automatically when the risk of a collision has been reduced (for example, you have decelerated or stopped Model 3, or the object in front of your vehicle has moved out of your driving path).
If immediate action is not taken when Model 3 issues a Forward Collision Warning, Automatic Emergency Braking (if enabled) may automatically apply the brakes if a collision is considered imminent (see Automatic Emergency Braking).
By default, Forward Collision Warning is turned on. To turn it off or adjust its sensitivity, touch Controls > Autopilot > Forward Collision Warning. Instead of the default warning level of Medium, you can turn the warning Off, or you can choose to be warned Late or Early.
Note
Forward Collision Warning automatically resets to Medium at the beginning of each drive.
Warning
The camera(s) and sensors (if equipped) associated with Forward Collision Warning are designed to monitor an approximate area of up to 525 feet (160 meters) in your driving path. The area being monitored by Forward Collision Warning can be adversely affected by road and weather conditions. Use appropriate caution when driving.

If you turn Forward Collision Warning off, it turns on for the next drive, but if you change the sensitivity, that setting remains in effect. The OP should set it to Late to minimize warnings.

I set the Froward Collision Warning to Off a few weeks ago after the alarm went off twice in 10 minutes. It has stayed off ever since. I set my wife’s profile to Off also and it’s still off. Running 2022.40.4.1. I know the manual says it will revert back to the Medium setting on the next drive, but that hasn’t been my experience.

I set the Froward Collision Warning to Off a few weeks ago after the alarm went off twice in 10 minutes. It has stayed off ever since. I set my wife’s profile to Off also and it’s still off. Running 2022.40.4.1. I know the manual says it will revert back to the Medium setting on the next drive, but that hasn’t been my experience.
Good to know, thanks. Maybe Tesla got tired of people complaining about false Forward Collision Warnings. :)