Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision cruise control isn't usable (video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You keep saying that TACC is not intended for the use in the video, and that is a flat out lie. To quote the owners manual "Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads such as highways and freeways. It should not be use on city streets."

The road in the video is a dry, straight, rural highway... it is not a city street.

You know that on non-divided highways and city streets TACC limits you to 5 mph over the speed limit, and on limited access freeways it places no limit on how much you can exceed the speed limit don't you? That means that the car knows when you are on a limited access freeway and when you are not on a limited access freeway. If Tesla did not want us to use TACC on anything other than limited access freeways they could disable it instead of limiting the speed to 5 mph over the speed limit... but to reiterate what I quoted above from the owners manual, they expect you to use TACC on anything other than wet roads, curvy roads or city streets.
Your interpretation and mine differ .. calling someone a liar because you disagree doesnt seems like a particularly constructive argument. You interpret "not on city streets" to mean "TACC can be used anywhere other than city streets" I interpret it to mean "definitely not on city streets, among other non-highway and/or divided road examples".

I've (carefully) driven the car on TACC (with and without autosteer) on various roads where I felt I was pushing the limits of the definition: small two-lane roads with the usual mix of straight sections and some bends of varying degree. And yes, I had the car do a few dubious things. Did I then get disgusted with Tesla and rant that the car didn't do what I want? No, I put it down to my pushing the car beyond its design limits. My interpretation of the OP video is that it falls in that category (in parts). You (and the OP) may interpret it differently, as is your right to do. But it doesnt automatically mean your interpretation is correct.

And your argument about what Tesla could do is bogus, since it assumes there are only two categories of roads: freeways and non-freeways, which is nonsense. Yes, there are freeways where the car can relax its speed limit restrictions (and potentially engage NoA, which is really what this category of road means). But the category "non-freeway" includes two types of roads: those suitable for TACC and those not suitable. So the issue of speed limiting is irrelevant, since it does not define where TACC can/cannot be used.

What Tesla are basically saying is "We expect you, the driver, to use TACC responsibly and carefully, especially when on non-freeways, and be judicious about when the road itself and prevailing conditions make TACC a safe option." Why do you think this is bad?

The issue that I have is around expectations. Its reasonable to expect autosteer to be imperfect on two lane rows, but its really strange that this would extend to issues with TACC as well. A lot of other cars have that functionality implemented really well at this point.

Tesla seems to be much better at autosteer, but a little worse at TACC in general.

The issue that I have is around expectations. Its reasonable to expect autosteer to be imperfect on two lane rows, but its really strange that this would extend to issues with TACC as well. A lot of other cars have that functionality implemented really well at this point.

Tesla seems to be much better at autosteer, but a little worse at TACC in general.
I think things get muddied when someone tries to cross-compare the different levels of CC: (a) traditional "dumb" CC, (b) "auto" CC that can change speed based on follow car, and (c) "smart" CCs that add safety features like emergency braking (accepting that in many cases the emergency braking may also engage even when manual driving).

A lot of the complaints in this forum/thread tend to be "my dumb CC didn't do this, why does my so-called smart CC do this" or "some other car brand does do this much better". Ideally, of course, they are right, the "smart" CC should have all the features of the older systems but add faultless safety systems. In practice, however, these safety systems are not perfect (nor will they ever be) and all car makers have to wrestle with tuning the systems to balance false positives (aka phantom braking) with false negatives (aka not engaging in a true emergency). As others have noted in posts in this thread and others, some cars are great at avoiding false positives, but are tuned so "high" they plow into pedestrians when they should have braked (false negatives), while others are good at avoiding accidents but also trigger phantom braking events (false positives).

Who is right? That's hard to tell, as the only real measure is how many accidents were mitigated by true positives vs accidents caused by false positives or allowed to happen by false negatives. And that is very hard to measure .. its easy to say "this accident was caused by a false positive" but much harder to judge the effects of a true positive or a false negative (where you must speculate on what the outcome would have been had the car behaved differently). So claims like "my brand XXX car never did phantom braking" are not much use if the car also had a high rate of false negatives. I suspect many of those pointing out "brand X" didn't phantom brake never had occasion to discover if the car would have braked in a true emergency.

Do Tesla have it right? Of course not, but I doubt other car makers do either, they are just tuned differently. Will things improve? Almost certainly, for all makers, as the abilities of the cars to distinguish true positives from false improve to the point where phantom braking happens only in the most obscure circumstances.

I've been accused of being a fan-boy and/or apologist for Tesla in this thread. In fact I'm just trying to point out its not as simple as screaming "FIX PHANTOM BRAKING" .. that's easy .. just disable the entire emergency braking system. Fixing phantom braking and retaining emergency braking when actually needed? Far, far harder. That doesnt mean it shouldn't be improved of course, but it's a very hard problem and shouting things like "Tesla should have fixed it by now!!!" is just random hand-waving. By that logic we "should" also have a cure for cancer by now as well.

I'm not a fanboy, I just say that the car is meant for freeways only (no highway driving please!) and any flaws with the car are the drivers fault, the roads fault, the stars not being aligned correctly, the day of the week, the month of the year, or some other nebulous reason that has nothing to do with Tesla having bad software.... but trust me, I am NOT a fanboy!

Keith

PS: Anyone who drives on anything other than a limited access highway has voided their warranty and will not be covered by their insurance company! Closed course, professional drivers only!!!!

I agree that the unnecessry braking events suck and I hope they improve sooner than later, but I wouldn't call system "unusable" on highways (although I agree that it's unusable on city streets). TACC is one of the most used driving features for me.

I am able to lessen the impact by steering away (as mush as lane will allow) from the object that car is braking for. You can also push down the electron pedal to override the TACC.

I just took delivery 2 weeks ago and would say....to put it nicely....adaptive cruise is a HOT MESS!!

It works on highways and divided roads but on a 2 lane road its unusable. I would guess since they have been making cars for 10 years, and haven't figured it out yet....there is little hope this will be resolved with software.

Also, auto brights are not reliable either. My Y flashes oncoming traffic so much, I turned that feature off.

I just took delivery 2 weeks ago and would say....to put it nicely....adaptive cruise is a HOT MESS!!

It works on highways and divided roads but on a 2 lane road its unusable. I would guess since they have been making cars for 10 years, and haven't figured it out yet....there is little hope this will be resolved with software.

Also, auto brights are not reliable either. My Y flashes oncoming traffic so much, I turned that feature off.
Hopefully they merge/integrate the stacks soon, because honestly, these things (at least for me) are much improved in the fsd beta stack than the production stack.

Auto high beams used to flip off the brights 3-4 times on the hill by my house, in the same spots my other cars do actually. With the 2021.44.30.21, the high beams dont do this, as it's better at differentiating light posts.

I also get waaaay less phantom braking on said two lane road as well. I only had one brake event and it was a few weeks ago, but it was a slight pulse of the brake instead of the full on slam. At least that's my experience. With the older releases I couldn't use TACC on this road, but now I'm able to use it without fear of it slamming on the brakes.

Yes, teslas are great cars but a few things are really bad. You’ll find the rest soon enough. Hopefully the good will far far outweigh the sucky parts. Congrats!