Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision cruise control isn't usable (video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn't good to hear...hopefully this gets fixed soon. When I test drove a Y I was only able to test out the autopilot for like 10 minutes. Worked a lot better than the autopilot on our Telluride. However, 10 minutes is not enough to test in all the type of scenarios that I would be using it in.

How do you like the Mach E and the Blue Cruise (autopilot)?

It is good so far, Extended range premium. The cruise control works without phantom braking. Blue Cruise isn't released yet on our car but we aren't big autopilot users anyway.

After 8,000 miles on our 2021 Y now we are seriously considering getting rid of it. My wife's daily commute is about 25 miles each way on this stretch of road in the video. It is constant hard braking events, audible beeping, and behavior shown on the video. The problem is worse at night but happens every drive in the day as well. We were hoping for an update to resolve the issues but no improvement. Literally just this morning the car hard braked 5! times for passing cars (20+mph speed change).
You are aware that TACC is not intended for driving on roads such as the ones you show in the video, right? (See the owners manual for more details). TACC is really only intended for freeways and divided roads.

• Disagree
Reactions: SSonnentag
You are aware that TACC is not intended for driving on roads such as the ones you show in the video, right? (See the owners manual for more details). TACC is really only intended for freeways and divided roads.
That’s great, I’ve seen the manual, but why does that excuse the problem? Other manufacturers have no problem with two lane roads. Why can’t Tesla do it?

That’s great, I’ve seen the manual, but why does that excuse the problem? Other manufacturers have no problem with two lane roads. Why can’t Tesla do it?
I'm not sure you can call it a "problem" if you are asking the car to do something outside of its intended use, regardless of other car makers claims. The FSD system currently in limited beta is intended to drive on all roads, including the ones shown in the OP video.

That is flat out wrong. Here it is directly from the manual.

"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways and freeways."

The video was taken on a straight highway. It is ridiculous to try to say the car cannot use cruise control on a highway, if that were true (it isn't) that would be good enough reason not to own it. Every other brand you can use the cruise control on a highway.

Last edited:
They should have the ability for dumb cruise. My other cars allow you to run with non-aware cruise with a long press of the cruise button or similar. And yes, I have gotten phantom brake events on my non-teslas which is prob why they have this option for long pressing cruise.

Reactions: cusetownusa
So... the car doesn't have geo fencing to disable TACC on roads that "TACC is not intended for", it just doesn't work correctly in areas where every other car on the road can use cruise control.

Talk about your advanced technology!

Pop quiz: Are my headlights intended for all roads or are they not authorized for use on two lane rural highways?

Simply put, Tesla has gotten away with providing crappy software for over a decade now by slapping the word "Beta" next to anything they don't want to spend the time perfecting. And the fanboy community perpetrates the opposite of FUD on unsuspecting potential buyers without ever being called out for it. They act like over the air software updates are a feature rather than a Band-Aid on a bug ridden system. I expect phantom braking to someday only be as bad as it was for the radar equipped cars. That isn't saying it will be good, I am just saying that it will not be as terrible. Personally I like a car to come from the factory with systems that work properly... silly me!

Do you tell potential buyers that Autopilot is awesome, and TACC is fantastic? That is all I ever heard before I got on these forums, and when anyone points out that TACC sucks compared to a Honda from 2005 they are treated like they are lying, or spreading FUD when they are just telling the truth. Cry's of "give me video of it phantom breaking or it is a lie!!!!" are common. Now we have someone who went to the trouble of making a video and the response is "It isn't Tesla's fault, it is your fault for driving on the wrong road and expecting the car to function!"

Regarding Auto Pilot and TACC I weighed the pro Tesla arguments and the realistic arguments on the forum and got fooled. I found a work around via the "speed limit mode" that allows me to live with driving my MYP... if I hadn't found that work around I would have sold the car... if selling to a private party I would not have mentioned Auto Pilot or TACC and if asked how great it was I would have said "that's what people say" rather than giving my own opinion.

Keith

Gourbra
Thanks for posting this.

Anyone know what the beep is? At e.g. 2:57 and 6:04. At first I thought Tesla had forgotten to disable the collision warning beep when you disable collision warning in the settings. But with the one at 6:04, the oncoming car is much further away. Also on the left side, when it was the right pillar camera the car complains about.

I can't say whether the vision-only system is really this bad. I have an older Model Y with radar - thank Jesus.

If this is *not* intended operation, then I have a hunch the cameras are either defective or installed incorrectly. As a first step I would try a different service center to see if they treat you better.

Still no love, then sell it.
Isnt Your radar now disabled? 😒

Last edited:
Now we have someone who went to the trouble of making a video and the response is "It isn't Tesla's fault, it is your fault for driving on the wrong road and expecting the car to function!"
Phantom braking by AP/TACC/NoA when used on freeways etc is indeed Tesla's fault, and they should address it (in fact, Tesla Vision is a move to address it, though clearly its a work in progress). I agree that improvements are way overdue (though I also think the scale of the problem is perhaps out of proportion). However, while you might not like it, it is the OPs fault for expecting the car to do things it was not designed to do. I dont care what Tesla fan-boys do or do not say, nor what videos you can point to on YouTube or elsewhere .. Tesla make it very clear in the car owners manual what the various AP features are intended to do, and driving on winding two-lane roads is not one of them.

Phantom braking by AP/TACC/NoA when used on freeways etc is indeed Tesla's fault, and they should address it (in fact, Tesla Vision is a move to address it, though clearly its a work in progress). I agree that improvements are way overdue (though I also think the scale of the problem is perhaps out of proportion). However, while you might not like it, it is the OPs fault for expecting the car to do things it was not designed to do. I dont care what Tesla fan-boys do or do not say, nor what videos you can point to on YouTube or elsewhere .. Tesla make it very clear in the car owners manual what the various AP features are intended to do, and driving on winding two-lane roads is not one of them.

Now you're just doubling down and trying to gaslight everyone. My video shows me driving on a two lane straight highway. Just stop it is getting sad.

My friend has a Mach-E GT PE, he just got it and said blue cruise works great on the highway, his only complaint is that it will warn him to put his hands on the wheel, immediately after the "highway". It sounds reasonable and soemthing you'd get used to though.

Tesla is REALLY dropping the ball on hands-free driving though. They had the most amazing system out there and are now being leapfrogged over by other manufacturers and 3rd party APs. They are concentrating on FSD which is nice for a segment of drivers, but MOST drivers just want to relax on the highway. I prefer driving myself in the city, but when I'm on the highway, I want to put my hands down and relax for the next +2 hrs until I need to charge. I'd rather see EAP come back with hands free driving on highways than a car that can drive itself in a city.

The work around is to set a speed limit (function is meant to limit speed of "other" drivers of your car such as your children). The only problem is that it locks in that max speed and you can't change it unless you are in park... and it also locks you into "chill" mode. With the "speed limit" set you just press on the accelerator and the car goes up to that max speed and stays there, no phantom braking, no emergency braking, no nothing... it is just like dumb cruise control but you can't change the max speed, and you have to press down on the accelerator. I use this for my daily commute, if I hadn't discovered it I would be seriously considering selling the car and getting something that actually works.

Keith
Sadly, my workaround is to not use TACC with passengers. I’d rather just calmly drive the damn car than stress out over when the next erroneous (phantom or otherwise) braking event will occur. So much for the EAP/FSD “investment.”. How I long for the cruise control in a previous Cadillac, which, by the way, was a 1968 model long ago. Worked very very well.

Wondering how the car does in daylight hours, same roads?

Our ‘21 with radar had some of these issues, our ‘22 on order test drive did OK - but the time was short and weather was good. Still waiting for the car.

That said, as a motorcycle rider, I hate those roads and never rely on anything to help. Too many hazards, some closing at over 120mph. So relaxing is never an option, but I’m older and don’t trust 0-1’s written by people in between video games.

Wondering how the car does in daylight hours, same roads?

Our ‘21 with radar had some of these issues, our ‘22 on order test drive did OK - but the time was short and weather was good. Still waiting for the car.

That said, as a motorcycle rider, I hate those roads and never rely on anything to help. Too many hazards, some closing at over 120mph. So relaxing is never an option, but I’m older and don’t trust 0-1’s written by people in between video games.

Just our experiences, some of the worst incidents were in the day. The stark contrast of shadows (trees) or passing semis seems to trigger it the worst. Although like in the video I posted it will just slow down for no apparent reason with wide open road ahead also.

Does anyone think this won't get fixed? I'm wondering if they revert back to radar if the newer models can be retrofitted for radar hardware.

I'm not confident the vision based system will ever work as well as other manufacturers systems. Tesla knows it doesn't now, that is why they are still putting the radar on S/X. Objectively it will probably never be able to handle the scenario where the sun is blinding the cameras. Even my AP 2 X locks out the cruise/autopilot when the cameras are blinded.

Just for reference, I owned a 2015 Subaru Outback with the then optional 'Eyesight' cruise control. You set the speed and how many car lengths and engage. If the car in front of you stopped, so did you. My point is this is not advanced rocket science; other manufacturers have this nailed years ago, so what might be the hold up?

Just for reference, I owned a 2015 Subaru Outback with the then optional 'Eyesight' cruise control. You set the speed and how many car lengths and engage. If the car in front of you stopped, so did you. My point is this is not advanced rocket science; other manufacturers have this nailed years ago, so what might be the hold up?
This is what I'm trading in for my Y. I've had 1 phantom braking incident in thousands of miles. It seems like this is becoming a more widespread issue so I'm optimistic they will fix this since others have shown they've been able to do it with only cameras. My main gripe with Eyesight is it won't center the car in the lane.

I'm not sure you can call it a "problem" if you are asking the car to do something outside of its intended use, regardless of other car makers claims. The FSD system currently in limited beta is intended to drive on all roads, including the ones shown in the OP video.

It's quite definitely a problem. I did call it that, I can call it that, I will continue to call it that. The fact that they say it's not intended for 2 lane roads tells me they can't figure it out. Everyone else has, it's potentially dangerous. It's a problem, very clearly.

I would also point out that I had the FSD Beta for a month. The problem STILL EXISTS there, so they still haven't figured it out even though that IS an intended use. It's way past the point of "they will figure it out." They've had way more time than should be necessary to fix this PROBLEM.

Stop excusing them. It's a problem that needs to be addressed. People will continue to use this on 2 lane roads because every other manufacturer had adaptive cruise that works fine on 2 lane roads. Frankly, if Tesla didn't want us to use it on undivided highways, they could prevent it. They don't. Tesla needs to fix the PROBLEM.

Again, to be clear, I LOVE my Tesla. Overall, it's the best car I've ever owned. But I'm still mad that this feature - a feature that has worked in every other car I've owned over the past 20+ years - doesn't work in my "modern" Tesla. I would NOT sell it because of this. But it is annoying, and I'm astounded they haven't fixed it by now.