Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision-only cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the refreshed model S. Rumors are they have gone to all vision after mine was built (I have early one made in June). I am update on 2021.32.5 software. How can I tell if it has gone all vision? What would work differently (or not at all)?

I think you are mixing a few different concerns. Chip shortage is an issue that Tesla has to overcome, but it is unclear what type of chips are in short supply to Tesla and whether they are related to radar or not. In another word, I don't believe removing radar magically resolved chip shortage issue for Tesla. So going vision only and chip shortage are two loosely related things, if they are related at all.

As for software updates lagging behind, it is not that the visions cars cannot handle updates. The situation is more likely that Tesla does not have enough software engineers hired to handle two flavours of their software - one for cars with radar and one for ones without it. Before they only needed to handle one flavour but now there are two because of the vision cars, thus more engineers needed. Unfortunately, hiring additional engineers is equally difficult as acquiring chips nowadays.
I had read somewhere this summer that Tesla also switched to microcontrollers to deal with some of the chip shortage issues, so now there are likely even more hw/sw variants that need to be accommodated and accounted for (with likely quality differences) in releases.

Reactions: CapinWinky
I paid for 1 month of FSD and there are only two features that I actually used. Manually initiating AutoLane change while on autopilot should be STANDARD since it really is stupid to have to re-engage autopilot after changing lanes. It works very well and I used it every single time I had AP enabled. And stopping for yellow/red lights worked pretty well, except for rail road crossings which it always thought was an intersection, and some yellow flashing caution lights where it slowed down dramatically until I told it not to. Other than those two features FSD sucks IMO. AutoPark only actually presented itself a handful of times and twice it would have curbed my rims had I let it continue... Summon was "fun" a couple of times but I could just have easily gotten in the car to move it. Smart Summon wouldn't even connect 95% of the time and the 1 time I was able to use it I had to cancel because it got WAY too close to another car... wasn't gonna test the limits. $200 a month or $10k for FSD just isn't worth it at all until maybe they actually release the version all these "testers" are using.

Reactions: techlogik