Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision-only cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up August 6, but got a May 2021 build (purchased from new inventory). Car picked up with 2021.4.18.10 and got 2021.4.21.3 a few days later, but nothing since.

There don't seem to be too many Model Ys receiving the .32 update, according to TeslaFi data. The software updates have been very fragmented ever since this Vision rollout, even with radar-equipped vehicles. I cannot wait for Tesla to remedy that with one stack.

Reactions: jebinc
The 2021.4. is vision only but not the IC shortage cars. 2021.3. and .11. are vision only with IC shortage parts (possibly different kinds of parts for each version).
The 2021.4 cars have gotten a few updates and select cars from that group have been getting updates sporadically to things like .12. and .24.. The 2021.3.104 and later IC shortage cars already have all the features that later went out to the .4.18 cars.

I don't know how the details of 2021.4.21 compare to the different flavors of .3. and .11., but I think it allows setting following distance down to 2.

The 2021.4. is vision only but not the IC shortage cars. 2021.3. and .11. are vision only with IC shortage parts (possibly different kinds of parts for each version).
The 2021.4 cars have gotten a few updates and select cars from that group have been getting updates sporadically to things like .12. and .24.. The 2021.3.104 and later IC shortage cars already have all the features that later went out to the .4.18 cars.

I don't know how the details of 2021.4.21 compare to the different flavors of .3. and .11., but I think it allows setting following distance down to 2.
@CapinWinky Do you know which IC version cars are delivering currently? IC shortage or as designed?

Where did you find this info? Im over here stuck on 2021.4.21.3

Where did you find this info? Im over here stuck on 2021.4.21.3
If you have a 2021.3.x or .11.x car, in your revision history it lists items from 2021.4.x. Someone posted a screenshot, but I also have a .3.105 and it lists the winter improvements with .4.12 and the cabin camera.

The reason a .3 and .11 branch exist is just speculation, but we know they replaced some simpler chips with more complicated ones that had better availability and had to write firmware for them. The logic goes that the firmware for these items is being validated before .3 and .11 get to rejoin the main branch. The fear is that they never join the main branch and remain a low priority in subsequent years.

I find it hard to believe that a chip shortage has anything to do with anything. I say this because there are Beta FSD users with all kinds of years/model with HW3 etc...that get updated. IDK which firmware they are on, but they clearly can support FSD and Beta all of them on any current hardware, including vision only cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: Saxgod

What is "IC"?

You’ll have to take my word for it, bubala. But if you look at TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker you’ll see a 2021.3.104 car that got it. I’m not a Tesla.fi member because I don’t want to pay them or give them access to my account, and I’m not posting a screenie of my app because it has my address and VIN on it :)
Don’t know how to take a photo and use a basic paint tool to blur that out and wipe meta data? Literally a 3min operation.

But thanks bubala.

And so this is a 2021 M3 Vision only you say with 3.104? So you just picked this up recently your car and took delivery? Not a May, June , July M3 delivery?

So back to 4.21.3 again. None have received any updates in the US. So we are narrowing the delivery date time frame to a range of M3 for whatever reasons, possibly materials and parts reasons I surmise. That are not getting updates for some reason.

Are model Y's in the same boat as Model 3, re not receiving recent updates? I would think all Vision cars from May on would be in a similar boat, no? I ask as I pick up my MY today... Setting expectations...

Last edited:
Just posting more info and killing time waiting for next update:
714EB013-E557-4274-B842-349DFE3CFBA3.jpeg

I'm getting really annoyed at the lack of updates on the vision only vehicles, while 95% of the fleet is plowing ahead to FSD button release. I have this sinking suspicion we'll be relegated to no man's land for some time.
I have that same suspicion. Since vision cars are a few generations behind on updates, it seems unlikely that we will be in the beta program. I hope I'm wrong.

X-Post, but wanted to share and say my MYP was delivered with 2021.11.103, yes, 103. Manufactured Date is 9/7/21...

Well, my MYP delivery was scheduled for 5pm, but I received a call at 11:30am asking if I would be interested in having the car dropped off in my driveway, and the trade driven away. Since I had already inspected the car yesterday, after stalking the delivery center, I said, "Sure!" since I pointed out items to be taken care o yesterday. It arrived at 12:30pm and all went smoothly. My car came with flaps and rear door PPF as Seattle region is considered as a region to recieve these items for free. No, my $150k+ Plaid came with nothing of the sort....

I just finished washing and clay barring it, in prep for me applying three coats of CarPros cQuartz 3.0 UK version over the next two days (curing between coats). If anyone is interested in pictures, ask and I can provide them after detailing on Monday. Tuesday, mobile service will install the Homelink module. What's interesting is on the Plaid, when I try to schedule service, it's weeks out.... Hmmmmm.

The home delivery person was very knowledgeable, and even shared an email received by all employees - from Elon. In summary, employees were told Tesla first focused on getting the Tech right (well, still think they have room to improve there; maybe he meant engineering?), and now the push will be Lexus/MB like quality. Elon will be personally inspecting, randomly, vehicles coming off the various lines over the next 12 months. Kind of late for my MY and Plaid, but thought I would share.