Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision-only cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recent M3 owner, vision only of course, and found that when AP is engaged the car feels like it's hugging the double lines in the middle of the road (i.e. trending left versus staying in the center of the lane) enough so I've felt uncomfortable using it. This was on the 2021.03.105 update, which I've had for weeks (recently updated but haven't tested since the update).

Anyone else notice this behavior?

Mine is also a vision only M3LR picked up August and got the update this week
Same here (except picked it up in June). Got the update Tuesday afternoon.

Couldn't drive it yesterday, so today was my first drive with the update (from 2021.4.21.3 -> 2021.32.21). Maybe it's just me, but operations seem smoother... But then again I always enjoy the drive no matter where we go.

Just out of curiosity, it's been stated that the vision only system is superior for FSD, however I've noticed that radar support has NOT been removed from the legacy fleet. That is kind of odd isn't it?
With the public releases, Vision is not superior to radar-equipped vehicles. In fact, the experience is far worse (at least in my experience).

I think Tesla is focusing 100% on the code that currently runs FSD beta, which does not use radar. Once that code is ready, it will be used in all aspects of Autopilot in public releases, whether you have FSD or not. Until then, the existing code, which likely has been abandoned internally, will be used.

The software team definitely had to pivot last minute to back-port no-radar support into the current public code. It's fine but not as good as radar, so I cannot wait to get FSD beta.

Downloaded 2021.36 yesterday afternoon.
E68D28B4-B2BE-4E5F-99E4-CF5148C1959B.jpeg

So far AP is worse IMO with this latest update... it seems WAY more indecisive and at times jerks the wheel while screaming the warning to take control to then suddenly go away like nothing happened... Some of the intersections on my drive can be tricky to decipher, but it usually can handle them 95% of the time. Since the update I have had to take over every single time when approaching them.

To add to the mix... I had an odd issue yesterday... on my way home from work the TACC and Autopilot refused to enable. Same drive I take every day... Decided to pull off the road and stopped the car, parked, locked, got back in... nothing... soft reboot... hard reboot... nothing... I could receive and listen to texts, but was unable to reply to any of them via voice through the car. It would translate them, but would show a failed to send error. I was also unable to make voice calls via the car... Bluetooth music was playing, and the phone was connected to the car as the key so it didn't seem like an issue with BT connectivity...

Now what really pissed me off is that since AP wasn't working and neither was voice to text or call.. I picked up my phone to call my wife (who was blowing up my phone) and the car that was at least 5 car lengths in front of me decided to make a right turn and of course I got the ridiculous forward collision warning for a split second. Even though this type of situation is EXACTLY what vision only should be able to get correct over radar. Well... it dinged my Safety Score! It went from a 97 to a 92!!!

Rant over.... back to the update topic... I have the FSD subscription so I am on 2021.32.22 while a buddy of mine who has the same car as me (M3P, week earlier delivery) got 2021.32.21 because he doesn't have FSD or the subscription... last night he told me he was getting the 2021.36 update.

So far AP is worse IMO with this latest update... it seems WAY more indecisive and at times jerks the wheel while screaming the warning to take control to then suddenly go away like nothing happened... Some of the intersections on my drive can be tricky to decipher, but it usually can handle them 95% of the time. Since the update I have had to take over every single time when approaching them.
AP is really only meant for use on highways. It is not FSD and thus by design is not supposed to be very good on "regular" roads. This is noted in the owners manual.

AP works great for me on my commute on the highway and seem much better on 2021.32.21 than previous.

To add to the mix... I had an odd issue yesterday... on my way home from work the TACC and Autopilot refused to enable. Same drive I take every day... Decided to pull off the road and stopped the car, parked, locked, got back in... nothing... soft reboot... hard reboot... nothing... I could receive and listen to texts, but was unable to reply to any of them via voice through the car. It would translate them, but would show a failed to send error. I was also unable to make voice calls via the car... Bluetooth music was playing, and the phone was connected to the car as the key so it didn't seem like an issue with BT connectivity...

Now what really pissed me off is that since AP wasn't working and neither was voice to text or call.. I picked up my phone to call my wife (who was blowing up my phone) and the car that was at least 5 car lengths in front of me decided to make a right turn and of course I got the ridiculous forward collision warning for a split second. Even though this type of situation is EXACTLY what vision only should be able to get correct over radar. Well... it dinged my Safety Score! It went from a 97 to a 92!!!

Rant over.... back to the update topic... I have the FSD subscription so I am on 2021.32.22 while a buddy of mine who has the same car as me (M3P, week earlier delivery) got 2021.32.21 because he doesn't have FSD or the subscription... last night he told me he was getting the 2021.36 update.
Sorry but your case is not a "Tesla Vision with no radar" because M3 had radar hardware. Is only for Y and news S plaid