Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision-only cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP is really only meant for use on highways. It is not FSD and thus by design is not supposed to be very good on "regular" roads. This is noted in the owners manual.

AP works great for me on my commute on the highway and seem much better on 2021.32.21 than previous.
Yes, I have a mix of highway and non highway driving everyday. I understand it’s not the complete FSD yet. I’m just stating the most obvious differences I’ve seen since the update. We haven’t had one in months so I’m sure a lot has been tweaked since then.

This new version seems to hesitate a lot more when it’s trying to see/determine where the lane lines are. I’m sure you’ve experienced the car wanting to be in the center of a lane that’s beginning to split into two lanes, then suddenly it picks one. This part of the highway expands left into a new, additional lane… 99% of the time the older software picked that new, left most lane. But so far on the latest update is pretty much 50/50 or it just says “take the wheel!” and AP turns off.

That’s mostly what I’m seeing as much worse than before. Combined with constant road construction here in FL, with orange cones for lane markers along with lane lines that might be old or temporary, FSD definitely has its work cut out for it. Excited to see how the real FSD handles these kinds of situations.

Reactions: Stan930
Yes, I have a mix of highway and non highway driving everyday. I understand it’s not the complete FSD yet. I’m just stating the most obvious differences I’ve seen since the update. We haven’t had one in months so I’m sure a lot has been tweaked since then.

This new version seems to hesitate a lot more when it’s trying to see/determine where the lane lines are. I’m sure you’ve experienced the car wanting to be in the center of a lane that’s beginning to split into two lanes, then suddenly it picks one. This part of the highway expands left into a new, additional lane… 99% of the time the older software picked that new, left most lane. But so far on the latest update is pretty much 50/50 or it just says “take the wheel!” and AP turns off.

That’s mostly what I’m seeing as much worse than before. Combined with constant road construction here in FL, with orange cones for lane markers along with lane lines that might be old or temporary, FSD definitely has its work cut out for it. Excited to see how the real FSD handles these kinds of situations.
It's funny we are discussing this, bc I just drove to work this morning on my 25 mile commute in the pouring rain and I was thinking to myself how well AP did. Didn't slow down due to poor visibility or phantom brake at all and was very smooth. There's a left exit on the highway (I'm traveling in the left lane) and AP knew not to go left onto the new exit lane, but stay in the current lane. Didn't hesitate at all and just kept on going in my lane even after the car in front of me went left to exit. Very pleased. Everyone's experience is different and every road is different though!

It's funny we are discussing this, bc I just drove to work this morning on my 25 mile commute in the pouring rain and I was thinking to myself how well AP did. Didn't slow down due to poor visibility or phantom brake at all and was very smooth. There's a left exit on the highway (I'm traveling in the left lane) and AP knew not to go left onto the new exit lane, but stay in the current lane. Didn't hesitate at all and just kept on going in my lane even after the car in front of me went left to exit. Very pleased. Everyone's experience is different and every road is different though!
Exits and lane splits are marked differently, which is likely what you're experiencing. Interstate & state highways exits will have a broken lane line, where as a 1 to 2 lane split will not. The basic AP will not cross a line, which is likely why it held the lane in the Exit scenario.

Exits and lane splits are marked differently, which is likely what you're experiencing. Interstate & state highways exits will have a broken lane line, where as a 1 to 2 lane split will not. The basic AP will not cross a line, which is likely why it held the lane in the Exit scenario.
No, I think you misunderstood the scenario. It is a new lane that is created/begins to the left where the exit is, so the left lane I was traveling in split into 2 lanes. Yes, a line is there eventually on the left delineating 2 separate lanes now, but for XXX amount of feet the new lane is still being "created" so it looks like one big lane to AP. So my point was it held tight to the right line and not the left line which was going further and further left.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Toneus
No, I think you misunderstood the scenario. It is a new lane that is created/begins to the left where the exit is. Yes, a line is there eventually on the left but for XXX amount of feet the new lane is still being "created" so it looks like one big lane to AP. So my point was it held tight to the right line and not left line which was going further and further left.
Next time you drive it, check the visualization. I'd be interested if there is a pavement seam or roadway difference that the AP is picking up on. Should show up as a blue line if it is. If it shows nothing, then yeah sounds like it's lane following better. I see you recently got an upgrade, what version was that?

Reactions: Jeremy3292