Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision-only Confirmation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received an email from my SA indicating that I need to accept a change to my MY-LR delivery before they can proceed with assigning me a VIN.

Basically, the text of the acceptance is that since Tesla is moving to a vision-only system, that certain safety features are temporarily disabled until further software updates are issued.

Attached is a screenshot of this text, if you're interested...

(And a question -- do you think they've taken a step forward or backward in going with a full vision-only based system?)

Attachments

• T_MY_LR_Update.jpg
    T_MY_LR_Update.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,369
  • Screenshot_20210525-171729_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210525-171729_Chrome.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
radar has some tricks up its sleeve that vision cannot match:
  1. You get radar bounces from cars ahead of you that you can’t visually see because they are blocked by the car right in front of you. Radar can tell when those cars hit the brakes before you see them, before the car in front of you hits its brakes. That’s valuable.
  2. Radar sees perfectly well in thick pea-soup fog and similar dense rain/snow, which cameras have trouble with.
  3. Radar returns an immediate speed value on any target it detects, and no interpretation of many frames is needed.

Last edited:
radar has some tricks up its sleeve that vision cannot match:
  1. You get radar bounces from cars ahead of you that you can’t visually see because they are blocked by the car right in front of you. You can tell when those cars hit the brakes before you see them, before the car in front of you hits its brakes. That’s valuable.
  2. Radar sees perfectly well in thick pea-soup fog and similar dense rain/snow, which cameras have trouble with.
  3. Radar returns an immediate speed value on any target it detects, and no interpretation of many frames is needed.

Obviously the brains at Tesla know things you don't here, hence the major change...-)