Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision only in traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model y on order and just noticed various posts on phantom braking. I understand there are many people who stop suddenly from ~65mph down to 30mph.

What I am most interested in is using the autopilot in stop and go traffic in the LA area. Does anyone who has a vision only car have experience with using autopilot in stop and go traffic on the freeway? Would it work well in my use case?

It'll work well. People tend to make the issues grand when in fact they're not. Phantom braking exists and you lightly tap the electron (gas) pedal to override it.
For stop and go traffic, it's godsent. Don't expect it to turn, because FSD is not officially out. If you purchased it, you'll need to drive very carefully after opting in - and seriously don't do that right away. Enjoy the car a bit and learn about it before you opt in to FSD Beta. It's a fun car and I'm sure you'll love it. Autopilot will at best keep you on your lane. Although it doesn't turn, it bends with the road and follows the car ahead of you pretty consistently. Just don't trust it. Respect your limits and learn your own reaction times to correct it.

Last but not least, welcome to the family! And don't feed the trolls ;-)

65-30 would be unusual. I've seen it scrub 10-15mph at highway speeds (e.g. 60+ mph), more akin to you suddenly lifting off the accelerator. It feels more severe because you're not anticipating it (same reason passengers tend to be more susceptible to getting car sick while you're fine as a driver). It'll happen every once in a while, but having the right mindset here and knowing it could happen helps. Tapping the accelerator will get you back again.

Most would say on the highway it's pretty solid, even when it goes down to sudden pockets of stop/go traffic. And once you're in that stop/go traffic, there is nothing better. It'll creep along and stop as traffic moves, although some say it's a bit aggressive accelerating/stopping. Switching to Chill mode helps if it really bugs you.

On local roads (without FSD beta) it's average ... not really designed for it and not really recommended even though you can do it.

It's probably in its worst form in FSD Beta - but being a work in progress, it is unpredictable as you'd expect. It's frustrating at times, and rewarding at other times.

In the end, not worrisome. It's a damn good system, but it's constantly being developed so behaviors will change over time. People tend to get excited by software updates because some of them do improve the car's autopilot behaviors.

Reactions: TresLA and hellocar
I have a model y on order and just noticed various posts on phantom braking. I understand there are many people who stop suddenly from ~65mph down to 30mph.

What I am most interested in is using the autopilot in stop and go traffic in the LA area. Does anyone who has a vision only car have experience with using autopilot in stop and go traffic on the freeway? Would it work well in my use case?
I live in West Hollywood with a vision Model Y and the cruise control in stop and go traffic is great especially down Santa Monica.
However, I don't have experience with autopilot lane changes on the freeway when traffic is at a standstill. I will usually manually move over to my desired lane and then engage autopilot.

Before the FSD Beta I felt like AP in stop and go traffic was great.

With the FSD Beta (moved the car to Vision only) its absolutely lousy. Phantom braking isn't the issue in this case, but that it isn't smooth. Instead it launches too fast.

Now I don't know if this behavior is limited to the FSD Beta (10.4 and 10.5) or if this behavior is limited to the performance Model 3.

All I know is that with my 2018 Performance Model 3 is that it's really bothersome. I'll try using chill mode, but that's not supposed to impact AP.