Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision Only Limitations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MY-Vision only (no radar) and no FSD. A couple things are annoying and trying to figure out what is Vision only limitation and hopefully will be resolved with the latest release.

1. Max speed on AP is 80mph. Traveling on highways with a speed limit of 70, I set it at 78 mph. In my last roundtrip, I passed someone on AP by manually accelerating past 80mph. That caused me to lose AP for the rest of the trip. Very frustrating.
2. On rural highways the speed limit isn't always posted but defaults to ~50mph. In several cases AP limits were set to 35 mph which is annoying, but at least I can manually accelerate to faster speeds without losing AP for the rest of my trip. Is this a Vision only issue or same for everyone?
3. Nag notification seems to be quicker than I see on other youtube videos (~20 seconds.) Has anyone else noticed a quicker nag notification on Vision only Teslas?
4. The interior camera seems to be looking at me because if I'm on my phone (I know... I shouldn't be) it will beep at me right away instead of doing the typical gradual progression. I fixed that with a piece of tape, but thought it was interesting that it's clearly detecting if I'm looking at my phone.
5. The "3" follow distance is getting old too. If I were in a city environment, it would be more frustration.

The next update can't come soon enough.

The max speed and "3" follow distance are vision only. The interior camera seems related to a recent update but I haven't found clear-cut definitions of who has it and who doesn't. I certainly hope it alerts you as soon as you look at your cell phone :D
Rural roads have a speed limit stored in the internal map system, and the car should also read the speed limit signs are you drive and adjust the limit. On a radar car I know rural roads have the TACC, EAP, FSD at speed limit +10kph (+5mph)
I've had a varying nag delay on my radar car, sometimes as often as 20sec...

1. If you go over AP's max speed, it locks you out. For radar it's 90, for vision it's currently 80mph.

2. It's the same for everyone.

3. Nag is same for everyone but it does vary depending on speed and other factors.

4. In the release notes, it tells you that yes it is using the camera to monitor you.

5. With radar, minimum follow distance is 1. This may or may not be changed for Vision eventually.

1. If you go over AP's max speed, it locks you out. For radar it's 90, for vision it's currently 80mph.

3. Nag is same for everyone but it does vary depending on speed and other factors.

4. In the release notes, it tells you that yes it is using the camera to monitor you.

5. With radar, minimum follow distance is 1. This may or may not be changed for Vision eventually.
My only beef with the distance of 3 is its just enough space for people to sneak in front of me

After driving with a Tesla Vision car for over 1k miles and being a Tesla Model X AP2 owner for over 3.5 years, I can say the Tesla Vision is a big step back from radar cars. The combination of the 80mph limit and 3 following distance is very annoying on long road trips. There are several situations where I need to drive faster than 80mph. The following distance is just too long especially on the highway.

Additionally every time the car is cresting a hill it will slow down/hesitate.

I am worried that we will be dealing with these restrictions for a long time based on my history with AP2. I am guessing 2022 before we see them rolled back.

My problem with the 80MPH bit is that it doesn’t really make much sense. For one, I states like Texas there ARE highways with posted 75MPH limits (and believe me, if you’ve been on them…that’s more like a “suggestion”) and at those speeds, it’s not hard to go over 80 when just gradually overtaking someone doing the bipolar thing of speeding up/slowing down constantly. Secondly, please do tell how the radar somehow makes this 10MPH gap more acceptable? I’m genuinely interested…

Additionally every time the car is cresting a hill it will slow down/hesitate.
In many cases, this is technically the correct thing it should be doing, if vision is limited due to the crest of the hill. Even radar is line of sight, so it cannot see what is beyond the crest of the hill... There is a windy road leading up the hill to our house, that even has a sign warning you to slow down as you go over the crest of the hill, because of limited sight distance, since there is a cross street after the crest.

I love the commentary from non-Vision folk. Go back to your following distance of 1 at 90mph!
whatchutalkingbout?

my radar car is set to 7 distance, on highway. I WANT a big gap. I LIKE that it can reliably keep that far a distance and any random stuff the guy in front does, I have the best chance of avoiding it.

why on hell are people short-changing the following distance?

wow. boggle! you WANT to rear-end people? sheesh.

Why is that a bother? The car will slow down and reestablish a safe following distance on a car that ducks into the gap. You arrive at your destination 1 second later.
This is the very reason I installed the bazooka option. I hate people ducking in front of me when there's barely enough room. Luckily it's rare, as I usually do ten over. Or more.

Catch me if you can! :D

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
Vision release for radar cars seems to be behind schedule as well, no surprise there.

You would think there would be an option for radar owners to just choose if they want to install the Vision or radar build until Tesla desires to go 100% Vision. Certainly easier to do than a major rollout the FSD beta button promised months ago as well.

Things like cabin camera options should be available or if your on Vision or radar.

It’s all just hurry up and wait like most of the stuff.

My problem with the 80MPH bit is that it doesn’t really make much sense. For one, I states like Texas there ARE highways with posted 75MPH limits (and believe me, if you’ve been on them…that’s more like a “suggestion”) and at those speeds, it’s not hard to go over 80 when just gradually overtaking someone doing the bipolar thing of speeding up/slowing down constantly. Secondly, please do tell how the radar somehow makes this 10MPH gap more acceptable? I’m genuinely interested…
I didn't make the decision, that's just the way it is right now.

Tesla just recently made this vision change in the last few months, so they are being careful with its limitations. I realize it is easy to go over 80mph by touching the accelerator, but Tesla puts those limits in place for a reason. As of now, there just may be certain roads where autosteer isn't the best choice because of fast traffic.

I too have a Vision Only MY (199XXX) and am waiting for the next firmware upgrade. The comment about 4 weeks is not accurate as our MY received multiple upgrades shortly after delivery. They were certainly bug fixes as Vision Only is so new.

The comments that my Vision based friends make are valid. A couple of comments for our OP...

1) AP Jail is a real thing, and I too found myself in it for manually accelerating past 80 in an evasive situation. Although the messaging reads like maybe you'll get your new toy back in 24 hrs. Simply stopping and putting the car in Park will likely result in a Get Out of AP Jail card; it did for me.

The 80 mph max can be a problem for the higher limit roads we find ourselves on. I personally found myself having to make the decision on a recent road trip, to drive manually with the flow of traffic at 82, or get out of the way slowing to turtle speed. Even raising the limit to 85 mph would be welcomed. Even though Elon posted that the previous 75 mph limit "Turned out to be unnecessary", there must be some real time driving data to support the 80 mph limit.

4) Yes, any activity that results in a head down situation (which I'm guilty of too) results in quicker NAG. Seems a bit over the top at times, occasionally I'll back up the MY routing with Waze running on the mobile device which is often on the nearly under the dash on the wireless charging pad. I'm not interested in a optional phone holder, so hold the recommendations. Even a subtle movement at times will generate such a NAG to where my wife and I have stared responding with comments like, "Yes Pearl I'm paying attention, I know I'm near the lane line. Stop yelling at me".

5) I think unless you have a Vision only version, the 3 car follow distance setting it is not fully understood what we are experiencing. In our cars, the 3 car distance appears to be estimated by the identified vehicle type and size. The most representative description of real distance I can provide is the vehicle in front of us is maybe a car length or two from being off the top of the on screen lane display. I'd estimate it's closer to 4 maybe 5 car lengths at times. I believe AP is using vehicle type & defined size to estimate the visual range to the vehicle in front. A small compact car vs. a large car or truck will visually appear to be at different distances and I think the AP is doing the best it can once it chooses a car type.

Like was described above, if you're not running in a normal NASCAR passing draft you will quickly find yourself on the conveyor belt to the back of the passing lane as AP tries to preserve the 3 car (really 4 to 5) follow distance. The AP does seem to hold speed and not brake (it does slow slightly) if the car that has entered the lane in front of you is moving faster than you.

I'd like to see the limit raised to 85, and the follow distance of 2 (or a more realistic 3) made available for freeway speeds. A little more smoothing for bumper to bumper would be nice as well.

Cheers!

In many cases, this is technically the correct thing it should be doing, if vision is limited due to the crest of the hill. Even radar is line of sight, so it cannot see what is beyond the crest of the hill... There is a windy road leading up the hill to our house, that even has a sign warning you to slow down as you go over the crest of the hill, because of limited sight distance, since there is a cross street after the crest.
But radar cars don't slow down in the same situation.

So this means two years to you?

2022 is not 2 years away. It is 5 months away. Obviously it is speculation (like half this forum), but it is based on my previous experience with AP2.0 rollout in 2017 where they completely re-vamped AP. Improvements were very slow. I hope I am wrong. I have nothing to benefit by having this drag out further.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ