Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision Only Limitations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But radar cars don't slow down in the same situation.
Yes, but that doesn't change things.. Radar is line of sight too. If it doesn't slow down when cresting a hill, you run the risk of a collision with an object beyond the crest... Radar is also lower resolution/granularity... When going down a road, Radar cannot reliably give you relative position of nearby objects in relation to visual cues. If there is a stationary object and you are in motion, radar will have a hard time knowing if that object is in the roadway in between lane markers, or if it's above the roadway, or off to the side of the markers, etc... This is why most radar systems will only track objects that have relative motion of 3mph or more. This is also why many radar systems can track a vehicle slowing in front of you pretty well, but struggle if you approach a stopped vehicle, like a parked vehicle in the roadway, or you come upon traffic where traffic is already stopped and isn't moving.

Note: One of my previous jobs was doing research in 3D positioning, using vision, laser, ultrasonics, and RF.

Reactions: frankvb
But radar cars don't slow down in the same situation.

2022 is not 2 years away. It is 5 months away. Obviously it is speculation (like half this forum), but it is based on my previous experience with AP2.0 rollout in 2017 where they completely re-vamped AP. Improvements were very slow. I hope I am wrong. I have nothing to benefit by having this drag out further.
I hope you're wrong, too. But I expect it will be sooner than you believe.

I have a MY-Vision only (no radar) and no FSD. A couple things are annoying and trying to figure out what is Vision only limitation and hopefully will be resolved with the latest release.

1. Max speed on AP is 80mph. Traveling on highways with a speed limit of 70, I set it at 78 mph. In my last roundtrip, I passed someone on AP by manually accelerating past 80mph. That caused me to lose AP for the rest of the trip. Very frustrating.
2. On rural highways the speed limit isn't always posted but defaults to ~50mph. In several cases AP limits were set to 35 mph which is annoying, but at least I can manually accelerate to faster speeds without losing AP for the rest of my trip. Is this a Vision only issue or same for everyone?
3. Nag notification seems to be quicker than I see on other youtube videos (~20 seconds.) Has anyone else noticed a quicker nag notification on Vision only Teslas?
4. The interior camera seems to be looking at me because if I'm on my phone (I know... I shouldn't be) it will beep at me right away instead of doing the typical gradual progression. I fixed that with a piece of tape, but thought it was interesting that it's clearly detecting if I'm looking at my phone.
5. The "3" follow distance is getting old too. If I were in a city environment, it would be more frustration.

The next update can't come soon enough.
What kind of tape? Are you able to avoid the nag after putting on the tape?

Tesla/Elon's mindset: cheap out as much as we can and remove as much as we can, so we can meet and exceed our delivery goal every quarter.
MY and M3 cars are the mass production models to make profit, so more expensive and time consuming features will disappear gradually until the real competitor(s) come out with similar performance with better/more features for less money with comparable charging network.
Until then, tesla owners have to suck it up and take what is given by Tesla/Elon.

whatchutalkingbout?

my radar car is set to 7 distance, on highway. I WANT a big gap. I LIKE that it can reliably keep that far a distance and any random stuff the guy in front does, I have the best chance of avoiding it.

why on hell are people short-changing the following distance?

wow. boggle! you WANT to rear-end people? sheesh.
Also, the signs say "SPEED LIMIT", not speed suggestion. I keep a safe distance, do the speed limit and keep right except to pass.

• Disagree
Reactions: CapinWinky
This is not the discussion about what's is legal or what is not legal. No one, I mean No ONE can say they obey the law 100% of time. It depends on many different situations and more. Once you are on the road, you are in danger whether you stay under, at, or over the speed limit.

Tesla/Elon's mindset: cheap out as much as we can and remove as much as we can, so we can meet and exceed our delivery goal every quarter.
MY and M3 cars are the mass production models to make profit, so more expensive and time consuming features will disappear gradually until the real competitor(s) come out with similar performance with better/more features for less money with comparable charging network.
Until then, tesla owners have to suck it up and take what is given by Tesla/Elon.
And of course, while you complain about all the little things you insist are absolutely necessary for your imaginary car, you continue to complain about the high cost of buying a Tesla. I figure that until you (or anyone else) have built anything close to what Tesla offers, I hardly think your posts are worth reading.

I notice that those "real competitors" are still sitting in the wings with few cars, low range, slow acceleration... ah, but they do have real leather gear shirt knobs! Give me a break. And be sure to buy a Honda or Toyota. They're going to need your money so they can stay in business, and this leaves more Teslas for the rest of us to enjoy.

Going on a few thousand mile road trip next month, similar to several others I've taken, where I can charge for free every few hundred miles to get to my destination. Smooth, quiet, quick to pass, luxurious interior, all those things that Elon gives me. Boy, life is hard. Sure glad I didn't buy an Audi.

And of course, while you complain about all the little things you insist are absolutely necessary for your imaginary car, you continue to complain about the high cost of buying a Tesla. I figure that until you (or anyone else) have built anything close to what Tesla offers, I hardly think your posts are worth reading.

I notice that those "real competitors" are still sitting in the wings with few cars, low range, slow acceleration... ah, but they do have real leather gear shirt knobs! Give me a break. And be sure to buy a Honda or Toyota. They're going to need your money so they can stay in business, and this leaves more Teslas for the rest of us to enjoy.

Going on a few thousand mile road trip next month, similar to several others I've taken, where I can charge for free every few hundred miles to get to my destination. Smooth, quiet, quick to pass, luxurious interior, all those things that Elon gives me. Boy, life is hard. Sure glad I didn't buy an Audi.
Please specify or identify where in my statement refers to any complain. All I see it FACTS and facts hurt feelings of many people including "You". Typical....
Also, LOL to "Luxurious interior" comment. seriously??!

Reactions: cwerdna
I had a 2021 MY LR with radar which i recently sold and rented a M3 Radar for a road trip. I can say the 80mph on Texas roads with 75mph speed limit was kind of annoying. I wish they would up it to 85mph sooner so you can be +10 on speed limit. Also, autopilot police for anything above 80 if you wanted to speed up to let someone pass. I know on my radar MY i had a little wiggle room, but not on the vision. I hope tesla send new update soon before I pickup my MYP (im assuming it's vision) . If not, i would just need to change my driving habits to always cancel autopilot before speeding up .

Just black electrical tape, nothing fancy. Yes, stops the immediate nag notification when looking down.

I'm fine if it nags me for not looking at the road using the camera, but then it has to significantly reduce the steering wheel touch nag, which it doesn't do. IMO
Someone else has mentioned that this makes the system nag more frequently if you have something that covers the camera. Would you say this is true?

It’s interesting. I mean there has to be a fallback if the camera fails. Honestly that fallback could be to not allow AP/FSD. But then does anyone want that either. Which is more of a liability, legal code sure, or something Tesla would be willing to argue.

It’s interesting. I mean there has to be a fallback if the camera fails. Honestly that fallback could be to not allow AP/FSD. But then does anyone want that either. Which is more of a liability, legal code sure, or something Tesla would be willing to argue.
Hopefully they did testing with a broad spectrum of people... I once was in a room with a customer showing us their eye tracking IP. It did not work on people with smaller eyes, as it kept returning an error saying their eyes were closed. Likewise, I had another customer a very long time ago, showing us their voice recognition IP... It worked fabulously with their marketing folks... But it failed miserably when we tried it for ourselves, as it couldn't recognize US english accents..

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
I cant help but feel like I am getting the raw end of the deal. I feel like once things go back to normal, they'll resume radar and I'll feel even worse. Any thoughts? I want my car so I don't want to wait, but can't help but feel like I'm getting screwed like a light bulb or maybe even a screw. It's like Tesla wants to make as many deliveries as possible so they just keep taking bits and pieces off to make it happen at the cost of sacraficing quality by removing key components due to the current supply chain constraints.

I wouldn’t use this as a reason to not buy the car or delay the purchase.

I would question if the wiring is still there on new cars and the radar could just be plugged in if they desire to go back. That said I doubt they will. If they do it’ll be a long while. They would probably and more cameras or something else.

That all said I also remember on my first 2020 M3 it had auto dimming mirrors that I replaced wide angle euro auto dimming mirrors.

I got a second M3 six months laters and wanted to do the same there and Tesla didn’t install the mirrors on that one. But I was sure they wouldn’t of changed the wiring room. But no the wiring for auto dimming was also swapped out.

Months later they added auto dimming back to the cars and it’s been in their since.

So yeah you never know what they’re going to do. Or do, undo, and redo.