Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision only sucks ass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Two-rocks

New England IPA
Jan 18, 2021
gone
My model3 2021 with radar was good.

My 2022 is crap. Vision only at night, blinding auto high beams auto on at every engagement , phantom braking galore, 80 mph limits.

Just got back from 950 miles this weekend. Autopilot at night is useless junk. Combine this with v11, and I think I regret buying our second Tesla. Can no longer recommend the car to family, and questioning my stock ownership.

Thanks for listening.

My model3 2021 with radar was good.

My 2022 is crap. Vision only at night, blinding auto high beams auto on at every engagement , phantom braking galore, 80 mph limits.

Just got back from 950 miles this weekend. Autopilot at night is useless junk. Combine this with v11, and I think I regret buying our second Tesla. Can no longer recommend the car to family, and questioning my stock ownership.

Thanks for listening.
Better sell your stock.

I was afraid this was going to be the situation with the non-radar cars. There was that brief period of time my 2020 MY with ~30K miles at the time would have sold for a big profit, but even with all the other benefits I didn't want to give up radar.

It sucks you've got that unfortunate situation but honestly I bet you can sell it for enough markup to cover your costs. Then wait until they are putting radar in them again to buy another one. Or don't. There are several other really great EVs available.

I was afraid this was going to be the situation with the non-radar cars. There was that brief period of time my 2020 MY with ~30K miles at the time would have sold for a big profit, but even with all the other benefits I didn't want to give up radar.

It sucks you've got that unfortunate situation but honestly I bet you can sell it for enough markup to cover your costs. Then wait until they are putting radar in them again to buy another one. Or don't. There are several other really great EVs available.
I don't think you have that choice if you accept updates. Eventually, a version that kills radar will make its way into your car.

Some new members will throw in the “bought” the wrong car fud, others may say plenty of competition on the way.

Sold the sr+ for more range.
It’s our third EV.
CCS charging is not adequate for real world usage yet (needs years to catch up, except they are chasing a moving target), my experience - unless and until you live it, you’ll never know.

The good software UI folks have very clearly left the company. Every new UI takes several steps backwards. Again, unless you live it, you’ll never really know.

Some say a short range EV is a city EV, our vision model3 is then a daytime EV, else it has fewer driver aids than a Corolla.

Other features are illegal and dangerous, aka auto high beams. Have no confidence Tesla will implement a working version of adaptive headlights when simple on off fails miserably.

Green says they're not disabling the radar in vehicles that have them, and likely won't ever do so. What's the source of your info that the radar in your X was disabled with the "Vision Only" update?
It’s quite well known FSD Beta has no radar support. It was a specific release they dropped it and I think they warned you that it was gonna do that when you sign up, I forget. FSD Bets is “Vision Only” And eventually that will be the “trunk”. When, who knows. It would be silly to maintain both if “vision only” is good enough for FSD.

If they decide to keep Radar Active. You probably won’t get Full FSD or you won’t get updates. They are not gonna support FSD with Radar and FSD without.

I don’t know who Green is and I don’t care.

1000 miles and Vision only is running great. Can’t tell the difference from my Radar based car I traded. It’s running the best I’ve seen. It even prevented a possible accident when I wasn’t on AP or TACC. Very pleased with it.

Since I started this thread, happy to say that vision only is almost there. The only issues that remain are 80 mph limit and the dangerous and illegal auto high beams.

No confidence in matrix headlights with the worst auto high beams ever implemented on a vehicle.

Autopilot is now two down on the right and one foreword on the left.

Since I started this thread, happy to say that vision only is almost there. The only issues that remain are 80 mph limit and the dangerous and illegal auto high beams.

No confidence in matrix headlights with the worst auto high beams ever implemented on a vehicle.

Autopilot is now two down on the right and one foreword on the left.
You can disable the auto high beams.

You can't when using vision based auto pilot at night. It also forces auto wipers when it is raining.
After you engage autopilot at night, toggle the left stalk forward. It will disable auto-highbeams. Yes, with autopilot engaged.

Annoying thing is that they toggle back on next time you re-engage AP (e.g. after a lane change on AP).

Like mentioned above, my muscle memory now is two down on the right, one forward on the left.

Reactions: ajstan and Yelobird
I haven't tried at night, but until recently, TACC was useless on two sided roads. Did a back and forth trip last weekend on 85 km of two sided roads with speed limit ranging from 50 km/h to 90 km/h. On the first 85 km, got just one slow down and one hesitation. On my way back on the second 85 km, two slowdown and two hesitations. Hesitation were climbing up small crests that were going down right after so the car couldn't see in front. Slowdowns where gentle, no abrupt braking. Roads were really curvy and hilly with some curves with speed recommendation of 40 km/h. Crossing traffic turning right on those curves created absolutely no braking. Things are looking better because last fall, it was painful to use TACC on those same roads.

It’s quite well known FSD Beta has no radar support. It was a specific release they dropped it and I think they warned you that it was gonna do that when you sign up, I forget. FSD Bets is “Vision Only” And eventually that will be the “trunk”. When, who knows. It would be silly to maintain both if “vision only” is good enough for FSD.
How is this "quite well known"...? Sources? Links? In vehicles with radar equipped, the radar is still used for forward collision warning and for automatic emergency braking. Also, in vehicles with radar and FSD, the radar is still polled and used when FSD is not engaged. Moreover, the Tesla Service Center managers here in Virginia have all told me they continue to stock replacement radar units for vehicles that have them and have been told to continue servicing and replacing them indefinitely. You just don't really know what you're talking about.

Also, "vision only" is never really going to work, and Teslas will never be "fully self driving" on "vision only"...it's a sham.
I don’t know who Green is and I don’t care.
Green (@greentheonly) is an expert (and possible current/former insider?) who, along with one or two others on here (who happen to be guru-level programmers), is aware of the details decompiled Tesla firmware/software and is among those who continuously reports on the code trees as they've been decompiled. These guys have repeatedly shown that Teslas with FSD and/or "Vision Only" codebases continue to actually poll the radar in vehicles that have them under certain conditions and make use of the data. And in vehicles without FSD, radar is still used as part of Autopilot, FCW, and AEB. I believe he and others have posted on here in response to threads about this very question.
1000 miles and Vision only is running great. Can’t tell the difference from my Radar based car I traded. It’s running the best I’ve seen. It even prevented a possible accident when I wasn’t on AP or TACC. Very pleased with it.
Glad your experience (sample size = 1) is good. Legions of owners on here are posting to the contrary and tons of vetted, public reporting bears out their complaints.

Reactions: SalisburySam
How is this "quite well known"...? Sources? Links? In vehicles with radar equipped, the radar is still used for forward collision warning and for automatic emergency braking. Also, in vehicles with radar and FSD, the radar is still polled and used when FSD is not engaged. Moreover, the Tesla Service Center managers here in Virginia have all told me they continue to stock replacement radar units for vehicles that have them and have been told to continue servicing and replacing them indefinitely. You just don't really know what you're talking about.

Also, "vision only" is never really going to work, and Teslas will never be "fully self driving" on "vision only"...it's a sham.

Green (@greentheonly) is an expert (and possible current/former insider?) who, along with one or two others on here (who happen to be guru-level programmers), is aware of the details decompiled Tesla firmware/software and is among those who continuously reports on the code trees as they've been decompiled. These guys have repeatedly shown that Teslas with FSD and/or "Vision Only" codebases continue to actually poll the radar in vehicles that have them under certain conditions and make use of the data. And in vehicles without FSD, radar is still used as part of Autopilot, FCW, and AEB. I believe he and others have posted on here in response to threads about this very question.

Glad your experience (sample size = 1) is good. Legions of owners on here are posting to the contrary and tons of vetted, public reporting bears out their complaints.
Those are amazing programmers. They are polling hardware that doesn’t even exist. Pretty fancy stuff.

You can believe want ever you want.

Tesla tells new FSD Beta members their cars will use Pure Vision, axing radar altogether | TESLARATI

If you car came with radar and it’s broken, yes they are gonna fix it. And they don’t care if your on beta or not. Because you may opt out or get kicked out any time and the standard release software in cars with radar is still active.

All new Teslas have NO RADAR.

FSD Beta does not use Radar. “Vision Only” you receive a letter stating it.

Enabling Ignore. Ba bye.

Lol. Love when people debate fact with assumed theory. Please remove me from your legion of owners also, vision works perfectly in my car also.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS