Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision Only vs Radar - Observations from a 3 year owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Model 3 in December 2018. I have taken it on about 15 road trips over 300 miles in that time frame. I was one of the first to receive a Vision Only Model Y in June of 2021. I took that vehicle on the first road trip this past weekend. 850 miles round trip. 50% interstate / 50% highway.

Based on my experience with Autopilot in these two cars, there is no comparison. The radar system is not only far ahead of the current vision-only system, but the December 2018 version of the radar system is also significantly ahead of the current vision-only system.

In 850 miles of driving, I was subjected to 13 phantom braking events. In addition to those 13 events, I also had 2 events where a truck was just on the lane line and instead of the Tesla utilizing the space in my lane to avoid the vehicle (was obvious that they were not coming all the way over), again we were subjected to hard braking. One incident nearly resulted in a rear-end collision. 3 of the phantom braking events resulted in other drivers giving me angry hand gestures.

In addition to the phantom braking, we also had to endure what I would call "a general lack of confidence". The car would consistently slow down 3-5 mph for no valid reason. Examples: Car coming the other way on a 2 lane highway fully in their lane. Car stopped at a stop sign at an intersection. Etc. No human would consider braking in the situations that VO was consistently braking.

Another "feature" that is significantly worse than in my radar car is lane-centering in a situation where turn lanes appear or lane lines move. The VO car behaves much more like the 2018 incarnation of AP where the car seems to only take into account the next 10 feet of the roadway into its decision making. IE, the car seems to think "I must center myself in this lane immediately" despite the clear fact that the "wide" lane only exists for the next 30 feet. Once the lane narrows back up, the Y then aggressively recenters itself in what I would deem an erratic way. So aggressive that oncoming cars were moving toward the ditch to make sure I didn't enter their lane.

Bottom line, I find AP in my Vision Only Model Y to be both dangerous and embarrassing. I will test it periodically to see if this has improved but I have asked my wife to not use it at all until I have more confidence in it. If I had it to do over, I would not have purchased the VO MY. I am hopeful that Tesla *can* fix this, but I'm not 100% sure that these issues can be addressed without some sort of retrofit. It would not surprise me if NHTSA forces Tesla to retrofit these cars with radar if they cannot address these issues soon. Once Tesla is forced to provide AP data to NHTSA in October, there will likely be questions asked.

(Late June VO Model Y w/FSD 210xxx)

i will add on by saying my 2014 Model S with AP1 was much more stable cruising on the highway both in lane keeping and in distance from cars. i never had a case of phantom breaking with AP1.

There were times when cresting large hills AP1 would swerve one way or the other because of losing the lane lines.

I think it stinks we had to buy FSD to have the same features that my 7 year old vehicle came with stock (AP1 changes lanes with AP engaged when you hit the blinkers, parks in parking spaces perfect everytime) where my FSD VO vehicle never detects parking spaces (i really miss this...i know its dumb)

That being said I did pay for FSD and plan on keeping this vehible for at least 6 years so there is plenty of time for it to improve. At this point though, this version of "Autopilot" and all of its features should be treated just as a decent lane keeping system and a TACC that works well in traffic when behind other cars but tends to freak out randomly on the open road with no one in front of you.

Anyways I love my Tesla and wouldnt trade it in for the world. Just wish using the tech I paid for was a little less stressful at times.

Tesla is absolutely aware of this, and this is why they haven't released the Tesla Vision only SW to 3/Y's with the radar.

Heck they haven't even done a wide release yet of the driver monitoring in radarless vehicles.

I'm a little concerned that they might use the FSD beta as a way to bring unified Tesla Vision to all HW3 vehicles. Where they assume the owner will be okay with a reduction in performance of highway AP/NoA in exchange for getting the FSD beta version.

Reactions: Saxgod and Lloyd
Tesla is absolutely aware of this, and this is why they haven't released the Tesla Vision only SW to 3/Y's with the radar.

Heck they haven't even done a wide release yet of the driver monitoring in radarless vehicles.

I'm a little concerned that they might use the FSD beta as a way to bring unified Tesla Vision to all HW3 vehicles. Where they assume the owner will be okay with a reduction in performance of highway AP/NoA in exchange for getting the FSD beta version.

My guess is the unified code of "Vision/driver monitoring/single stack/FSD" would be what we get in Beta. If there is no long-term path for some hybrid of FSD for city streets with "legacy" highway AP/NoA, I doubt they would beta test it.

Reactions: Saxgod
Examples: Car coming the other way on a 2 lane highway fully in their lane. Car stopped at a stop sign at an intersection. Etc. No human would consider braking in the situations that VO was consistently braking.

It would not surprise me if NHTSA forces Tesla to retrofit these cars with radar if they cannot address these issues soon. Once Tesla is forced to provide AP data to NHTSA in October, there will likely be questions asked.
You may wish to review your Owner's Manual for the scenarios where highway FSD beta is currently designed to work. Two lane highways with stop signs ain't those places.

• Disagree
Reactions: ahmadr
I used to be on Tesla.com forums earlier, and I am just lurking here for the past few months.

looking through this thread, I am really surprised Tesla went radarless. I was getting ready to purchase a new S or X (I have a 2013 S 60 and a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD). I’m not so sure now.

My June build vision only model Y with FSD is also terrible. It brakes all the time for no reason. A lot. I saved dashcam footage with 3 phantom braking incidents within 10 minutes and was determined to book a service appointment, but I know it would be a waste of time. I find on single lane 2 way highways it's particularly bad, that combined with flashing high beams on oncoming cars after dark its embarrassing (vision cars require auto-beam enabled when using AP).

I won't use AP with my wife in the car anymore , the unnecessary breaking makes hers uncomfortable. My previous 2020 X with radar was significantly better.

Last edited:
Yes thanks for posting what we’ve been complaining about for 4 months and yahoos on this forum giving us thumbs down by pointing out what garbage Tesla vision is like already…haha.

Frustrating and annoying we know.

But don’t worry, city street driving is coming at the end of this year for all who have FSD!!! You don’t need to be no stinking Beta user. It’s going to be sorted in 3 short months!

• Funny
Reactions: ahmadr
I can’t compare to the radar version but vision sucks. I Purchased a subscription for a road trip. At dusk, every time a car passed me it slammed on the brakes because of the shadow the passing car cast. If also brakes hard when there is a different color of pavement from a seem or big patch job. Every time the lane line widens at an on ramp it swerves violently to the right. I never had a stretch of uninterrupted autonomous driving longer then 10 miles. Glad I’m only out 200 bucks.

Yes thanks for posting what we’ve been complaining about for 4 months and yahoos on this forum giving us thumbs down by pointing out what garbage Tesla vision is like already…haha.

Frustrating and annoying we know.

But don’t worry, city street driving is coming at the end of this year for all who have FSD!!! You don’t need to be no stinking Beta user. It’s going to be sorted in 3 short months!
I assume you are being sarcastic in your last paragraph?

Today I drove 122 miles on the highway with my Model Y and thinking back to how AP/NoA performed when I initially got it on my early Model 3 it is amazing how much better it is now. There were several tight exits over the past few years that were suicidal without taking over along with many other problems on the highway. Today the exits were fine. With 2021.32.22 my drive was flawless which has to be true since my wife didn't complain which I don't believe has ever happened before.

Two things that still need improvement that I'm hoping the 10.2 release will address when the stacks are combined. First, don't try and move to a faster lane when the exit is less then 1.5 miles ahead in fairly heavy traffic and second don't move to a faster lane that causes the car coming up behind me to brake. I have addressed both by simply enabling the setting to confirm lane changes. Hoping in the future to let the car handle all lane changes on its own.

Reactions: Jeff N and Bigriver
Today I drove 122 miles on the highway with my Model Y and thinking back to how AP/NoA performed when I initially got it on my early Model 3 it is amazing how much better it is now. There were several tight exits over the past few years that were suicidal without taking over along with many other problems on the highway. Today the exits were fine. With 2021.32.22 my drive was flawless which has to be true since my wife didn't complain which I don't believe has ever happened before.

Two things that still need improvement that I'm hoping the 10.2 release will address when the stacks are combined. First, don't try and move to a faster lane when the exit is less then 1.5 miles ahead in fairly heavy traffic and second don't move to a faster lane that causes the car coming up behind me to brake. I have addressed both by simply enabling the setting to confirm lane changes. Hoping in the future to let the car handle all lane changes on its own.
Third, when merging onto a freeway, don’t wait until the last min to merge, merge as soon as there’s an opening.

Fourth, when there’s an upcoming lane change to follow route, don’t wait until the last minute either to complete the lane change. If there’s room, get into the correct lane earlier.

Tesla is pulling this stunt again?

Why remove radar until the vision system is perfected?

Would your refuse delivery of a radarless car?
Knowing what I know now I definitely would refuse delivery. I got my first Tesla (VO) in June and I'm very disappointed in the software. If there was an alternative that had the range and charging network, of sell it in a second