Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision Y on 2021.32.10 scary experience in Navigate on AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the Vision cars are just getting upgraded 2021.32.10. I upgraded this morning and was hoping to see some nice improvements, but was left feeling FSD capability is worse than 2021.4.21.3.

I was traveling north of Charlotte, NC on the outer 485 to 77 North. The car was late to exit, did NOT slow down, and split the lanes and slowed down when it realized it was going to fast. Then when merging onto 77 it proceeded it waited for the lane to end before merging and jumped over 2 lanes!

Navigate on AP was never great in my car, but this short experience makes me question it in its entirety. Luckily there were no cars around while test it out.

Reactions: generalmilk
Looks like the Vision cars are just getting upgraded 2021.32.10. I upgraded this morning and was hoping to see some nice improvements, but was left feeling FSD capability is worse than 2021.4.21.3...

With any version, FSD works great in some scenarios and not in others so I have to memorize which are which and I have to be ready to intervene when I drive to stretches of the roads that were not driven with FSD before.

So to compare your old FSD version vs. the new one, are you comparing the exact scenario, exact location?

With any version, FSD works great in some scenarios and not in others so I have to memorize which are which and I have to be ready to intervene when I drive to stretches of the roads that were not driven with FSD before.

So to compare your old FSD version vs. the new one, are you comparing the exact scenario, exact location?
To be honest, I never used it on this intersection, but it is not a complex intersection by any means and there were no cars around. My wife primarily drives the car, so I have only used it on a few occasions.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
...this short experience makes me question it in its entirety...
I think it's a fair wake-up call because collisions still happen with Autopilot and FSD and fatalities still occur while they are used. So your experience just confirms how someone can die while 100% trusting in Autopilot and FSD without any preparation to intervene as needed.

It has been that way since 2014 for Tesla and nothing new.

I think it's a fair wake-up call because collisions still happen with Autopilot and FSD and fatalities still occur while they are used. So your experience just confirms how someone can die while 100% trusting in Autopilot and FSD without any preparation to intervene as needed.

It has been that way since 2014 for Tesla and nothing new.
I am in agreement, one has to decide where and when AP/FSD is safe to engage, it is not yet a substitute for an attentive driver.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Looks like the Vision cars are just getting upgraded 2021.32.10. I upgraded this morning and was hoping to see some nice improvements, but was left feeling FSD capability is worse than 2021.4.21.3.

I was traveling north of Charlotte, NC on the outer 485 to 77 North. The car was late to exit, did NOT slow down, and split the lanes and slowed down when it realized it was going to fast. Then when merging onto 77 it proceeded it waited for the lane to end before merging and jumped over 2 lanes!

Navigate on AP was never great in my car, but this short experience makes me question it in its entirety. Luckily there were no cars around while test it out.
FWIW, my FSD has almost always choked in some form at that interchange. Usually I'm coming from Pineville to get on 77 South and at the last minute it and suddenly tries to swerve to the northbound exit/entrance (the dotted line as the lanes diverge seem to confuse it). It's late enough and bad enough that without my taking control it risks hitting the guard rail. That's the thing about FSD, it's phenomenal except those times it tries to kill you. :D

Then when merging onto 77 it proceeded it waited for the lane to end before merging and jumped over 2 lanes!
Classic NoA problem that comes and goes in some versions - when lanes are merging and NoA for some reason delays moving over, it ends up jumping an extra lane because by the time it moves, the current lane is already a different lane than it was at the start. NoA merges in human-like manner in pretty much just 1 condition - when the target lane is short and the window for merging is small, otherwise it's usually waiting far too long before merging over...

Reactions: scottycs
Vision getting updated in US? One of the few. Most are EURO cars getting this update. What were you on before? 4.21.3? I don't see any US Model 3 or Y on the tracking firmware sites showing vision only getting this update. When did you take delivery?

Vision getting updated in US? One of the few. Most are EURO cars getting this update. What were you on before? 4.21.3? I don't see any US Model 3 or Y on the tracking firmware sites showing vision only getting this update. When did you take delivery?

Yes, I am in the US. Multiple people have gotten updated from what I seen online. I took delivery at the end of June. Came from 4.21.3.

I mean poor behavior behavior exiting (in any kind of traffic) is basically the #1 flaw in Navigate on Autopilot. I basically gave up on it a year ago, it's too stressful to wonder if it will make the exit or not. We can only hope that the updated version that will be released on FSD Beta 10.1 will be better/usable.