Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visiting Gigafactory 1 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello People.

Next September I'll have the opportunity to drive nearby GF-1 . Long ago I once read that Tesla would soon offer some Factory tours there, but it seems Elon Time is in action and they still don't offer this option. Anyway, even it it's really futile, I'd love to drive there on the parking lot and take some pictures of us with the GF in the background, as I did in 2015 at Fremont.

I saw on google map that there is a kind of Postguard and it seems to be forbidden to approach the place.

Anyone here having some tips to (legally) go there ??

Best regards :)

Right, you won't get past the post without a badge or prior arrangement. I haven't asked about the policy lately, but I am there regularly. I often see "groups" of people on a tour, like I saw some people from Scottrade recently, so they must have been clients of Scottrade. So I imagine select groups can arrange a tour, yet I haven't seen any individuals there (unless really important people). Just send an email and ask.

• Informative
Reactions: Rolf68
Right, you won't get past the post without a badge or prior arrangement. I haven't asked about the policy lately, but I am there regularly. I often see "groups" of people on a tour, like I saw some people from Scottrade recently, so they must have been clients of Scottrade. So I imagine select groups can arrange a tour, yet I haven't seen any individuals there (unless really important people). Just send an email and ask.

Hello.

Thanks for your answer. I already asked while booking a tour at the Fremont Factory, they told me they still don't offer tours at GF-1. But I thought it would be ok to go to the parking and take some exterio pictures, until I discover the gate and the postguard.

Do you have an email to contact directly someone at GF-1 that could open the gate for 15 minutes ? :)

Best regards

Hello.

Thanks for your answer. I already asked while booking a tour at the Fremont Factory, they told me they still don't offer tours at GF-1. But I thought it would be ok to go to the parking and take some exterio pictures, until I discover the gate and the postguard.

Do you have an email to contact directly someone at GF-1 that could open the gate for 15 minutes ? :)

Best regards

They told you wrong in Fremont. What they should have said is there are currently no "individual" tours, but there are regular tours from various companies with about 15-20 people in a group. You will waste your time if you plan to go to the parking area and take external photos. The parking area in inside the guard shack and that location is at least 2 football fields away from the GF, so you can't really see anything of value. And just an FYI, even if you are able to get in as part of a scheduled group, you would have to present a photo ID at the guard shack, and then when you get into the lobby you would have to sign an electronic document saying basically you are not going to take photos, give up you first born son, etc etc :) You would only be able to take photos of the lobby. Even the tour groups can only see very LIMITED areas of the GF. Soooooo, in my opinion, not very impressive anyway. Perhaps at some point, things will change.

by the way, my son is in France for a month and says it is beautiful, although his butt is roasting in heat right now.

Last edited:
Hello Silicon Desert.

Thanks for all those valuable infos. I was already aware you could not take picture inside the factory, and I don't mind signing a NDA. They do the same at Fremont and it's still well worth the visit. Anyway if you cannot even reach the parking lot freely, I think I'll just forget about seing GF1. We'll drive directly from Tahoe to the Highway "loneliest" 50 .

Your son is not exagerating, we got new record high yesterday just near the place we where attending to a EV meeting. I hope the tempereatures will be a bit cooler this week.

Thanks again for your time and best regards from France :)

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Hello Silicon Desert.

Thanks for all those valuable infos. I was already aware you could not take picture inside the factory, and I don't mind signing a NDA. They do the same at Fremont and it's still well worth the visit. Anyway if you cannot even reach the parking lot freely, I think I'll just forget about seing GF1. We'll drive directly from Tahoe to the Highway "loneliest" 50 .

Your son is not exagerating, we got new record high yesterday just near the place we where attending to a EV meeting. I hope the tempereatures will be a bit cooler this week.

Thanks again for your time and best regards from France :)
Rolf, I will send you a private message.

I only get to the Fremont plant about once a month, but yes, tours are available there. Stay cool. Son says it was over 105 F a few days ago and high humidity. I wonder if he was kidding me?

Oh and 50 is a pretty drive, but lots of curvy roads. Pan for some gold along the way . Hey you might be able to buy another Tesla if you are lucky. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello Silicon Desert :)

Thanks for th MP, replyed earlier ;)

Your son is not kidding, we really have record heat this year. By chance today it's cooler.

If you now spots where I can find gold along the 50, I'm all in. I heard there are also some water springs where you can bath? But those location are kinda secret AFAIK :p

Best regards

Hello Silicon Desert :)

Thanks for th MP, replyed earlier ;)
Your son is not kidding, we really have record heat this year. By chance today it's cooler.
If you now spots where I can find gold along the 50, I'm all in. I heard there are also some water springs where you can bath? But those location are kinda secret AFAIK :p
Best regards

Hmmm, I don't know about those water springs. Maybe someone else knows. I better check that out. As for gold..... the only gold I have ever found by "panning for it" was a few specks, but exciting. I found a lot more gold in the wife's jewelry box :eek:
Have a great trip.

• Love