Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visiting Gleneagles september 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to get tickets to visit the Ryder Cup 2014 Golf tournament, to be held in September 2014 at Gleneagles in Scotland. I am expecting delivery of a Tesla Model S P85 later this year and would love to take it from the Netherlands to Scotland.

However, reading though this forum and checking a lot of the maps with charging points, leads me to believe that coverage in Scotland isn't quite a good as the rest of the UK. I've read also about some ambitious plans for changing this, but I have no idea when this is about to happen.

So, I guess I am looking for some advice on the feasibility. So far I have found one hotel that will allow me to load 3x16A (11Kw) overnight to provide me with a full charge. DFDS Ferries have no loading facilities on board, so some careful planning is in order.

I know it is early, but was told that once the tickets where assigned, hotel rooms would go really quick

Any thought or advice would be most welcome!

René de Vries
The Netherlands

I'm not familiar with the area around Gleneagles, but you may be able to find a hotel near a camping site or trailer park. Most of these will have power available.

You could try Best Western on the way up - they are not exactly 5* but it might help?

Other than that, check out the "zap map" which seems pretty up-to-date.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks, @j1mbo - that was an excellent tip. I send Best Western an e-mail, an received this response:
Good afternoon Rene,

Thank you for your recent email.

I have attached a list of hotels that have electric car charging points currently installed. There is also a list of hotels that are currently having them installed, although this list is from June this year so many that are on the second list may have already completed the instalment.

According to this list the ones in Scotland that already have them installed are listed below.

BEST WESTERN Kinloch Hotel - Isle of Arran
BEST WESTERN Kings Manor Hotel - Edinburgh
BEST WESTERN Philipburn Country House Hotel - Selkirk
BEST WESTERN Glenspean Lodge Hotel - Fort William

If there are any that you were interested in that are not on this list please let me know and I will be able to confirm whether they have completed the installation yet.

I have attached the PDF with the full list.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Attachments

• electric car units[1].pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 249
Yesterday Ecotricity announced that the Moto Services at Stirling will shortly be equipped with an AC/DC rapid charger (CHAdeMO and 43kW Type 2). There are two hotels at that site. It is 35 km from Gleneagles.

There is a similar AC/DC site at Broxden park and ride near Perth available now, on the CYC network. There is also a Travelodge hotel there. It is 24 km from Gleneagles.

Finally I would expect a rapid charger to be installed at Moto Kinross (27 km) before your visit.

Rapid chargers are popping up daily now. Keep track here: UK and Ireland Rapid Chargers - Google Maps