TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Visiting Gleneagles september 2014

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by redevries, Oct 13, 2013.

1. redevries

redevries René de Vries

I was able to get tickets to visit the Ryder Cup 2014 Golf tournament, to be held in September 2014 at Gleneagles in Scotland. I am expecting delivery of a Tesla Model S P85 later this year and would love to take it from the Netherlands to Scotland.

However, reading though this forum and checking a lot of the maps with charging points, leads me to believe that coverage in Scotland isn't quite a good as the rest of the UK. I've read also about some ambitious plans for changing this, but I have no idea when this is about to happen.

So, I guess I am looking for some advice on the feasibility. So far I have found one hotel that will allow me to load 3x16A (11Kw) overnight to provide me with a full charge. DFDS Ferries have no loading facilities on board, so some careful planning is in order.

I know it is early, but was told that once the tickets where assigned, hotel rooms would go really quick

Any thought or advice would be most welcome!

René de Vries
    The Netherlands

2. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

I'm not familiar with the area around Gleneagles, but you may be able to find a hotel near a camping site or trailer park. Most of these will have power available.

You could try Best Western on the way up - they are not exactly 5* but it might help?

Other than that, check out the "zap map" which seems pretty up-to-date.

Let us know how you get on!

3. redevries

redevries René de Vries

Thanks, @j1mbo - that was an excellent tip. I send Best Western an e-mail, an received this response:
    I have attached the PDF with the full list.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Attached Files:

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#4 dpeilow, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    Funnily enough we once considered Gleneagles as an HPC location. There is a Roadster HPC at Dalmahoy Marriott near Edinburgh. They may be able to help.

Also have a look here: ZeroNet - Zero Carbon World

5. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Any time!

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Yesterday Ecotricity announced that the Moto Services at Stirling will shortly be equipped with an AC/DC rapid charger (CHAdeMO and 43kW Type 2). There are two hotels at that site. It is 35 km from Gleneagles.

There is a similar AC/DC site at Broxden park and ride near Perth available now, on the CYC network. There is also a Travelodge hotel there. It is 24 km from Gleneagles.

Finally I would expect a rapid charger to be installed at Moto Kinross (27 km) before your visit.

Rapid chargers are popping up daily now. Keep track here: UK and Ireland Rapid Chargers - Google Maps