Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visor repair 2014 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife broke the hinge on the visor mirror cover, but if I could remove the cover I could probably repair it. Does anybody know how to remove the visor from the body and how to remove the mirror cover from the visor?

Tesla replaced the visor "under warranty."

I saw how to remove it: The U-shaped trim piece pops up. Use a plastic prybar tool at each side of the "U." Then the visor is secured with a single Torq screw. (It has a "lip" to hold the other side. (Not your traditional 2-screw mount!)

But even with the visor removed, I could not manipulate the residual part so as to fit it to the mirror cover and glue it. The design appears to be faulty: too much stress on a tiny area + normal plastic deterioration with age = faulty design.

I had a BMW many of whose plastic parts deteriorated with age, even where not(!) exposed to UV!

I had a chemist friend who worked for Bell Labs, "back in the day," and it was a major challenge to formulate plastic parts to withstand stress and age. ABS was found to be much "tougher" and more durable than PVC. (Remember the old "500" telephone?)