TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Visors too small

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Mario Kadastik, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

it seems the Model S visors weren't quite designed for Nordic countries. In the winter the sun (when it's shining at all) is low on the horizon throughout the day, not just during rise/set. Right now the Model S visors are extremely small and it makes you sit upright uncomfortably to get any blocking. Is there any way to improve their coverage for the Nordic countries that really need to block the sun, which is lower on the horizon... Am I the only one who finds this annoying?

2. GSP

GSP Member

I don't have a MS, but for years I have been keeping a baseball cap in my cars. It is more effective than sun visors, and it also works when you look out the side windows. I usually use both cap and sun visors, but don't have to fiddle with the sun visors as much.

I hope that helps.

GSP

3. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

Mario, the visors are too small for the folks in the US as well. Alas, I do not suspect any improvements to the design to occur any time soon, if at all. I would encourage you to send an email to ownership for what it's worth.

4. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

It's not easy to find the right size for visors because at the one side they should block sun rays, at the other side they shouldn't block the view sight to the driver. IMO Tesla made the right choice to make them a little bit small in order to allow a better view sight to the driver. Personally I use sun glasses to work out the sun rays issue while driving.

5. Mario Kadastik

I copied here basically what I wrote to ownership ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I have glasses and buying a second set as sunglasses has always been something I hate so my current glasses are photocromatic. However that doesn't work in cars as the windshield kills the UV that is used to make the glasses turn black. And to be honest the Tesla visors are non-existent. It's not a question of varying slightly if it blocks more or less. In the current case at its maximum setting it blocks marginal region of the visible area. For standard visors you can pull them down partially or go >180 degrees on it by going over the maximum blocking area as it reduces the area it blocks yet blocks all coming from above (useful in summer), but if we have winter I need to block at times ~half of the visible area to be able to drive at all. This isn't doable at all right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I have glasses and buying a second set as sunglasses has always been something I hate so my current glasses are photocromatic. However that doesn't work in cars as the windshield kills the UV that is used to make the glasses turn black. And to be honest the Tesla visors are non-existent. It's not a question of varying slightly if it blocks more or less. In the current case at its maximum setting it blocks marginal region of the visible area. For standard visors you can pull them down partially or go >180 degrees on it by going over the maximum blocking area as it reduces the area it blocks yet blocks all coming from above (useful in summer), but if we have winter I need to block at times ~half of the visible area to be able to drive at all. This isn't doable at all right now.

6. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Ha! Luxury. You should see the sun visors in the Roadster! (... in a Monty Python Welsh accent)

7. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but have you tried adjusting your seat so it’s higher? I find that it works really well for me, although there is no way to block the sun between the passenger visor and the rear view mirror.

8. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

I found that a piece of cardboard or cloth can easily be inserted in the flap that swings over the mirror on the visor and provides adjustable sun shielding. I've only done this for my sensitive passenger; for me wearing sunglasses has sufficed even for low sun (and a direct block cuts too much visibility for my taste). Note also on the above comment on UV light activated photo-chromatics for prescription lenses---there are new lenses designed for driving that are activated by ambient visible light.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

*couYorkshiregh*

10. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Exactly! I bought a pair of hard plastic square-ish things that clip onto the visor, to use when the sun's in an . . . unfortunate location. But the way they're designed and the size of the visor and mirror, it's a bit of a pain to get them on and off. I don't use them much. I don't have a link to this product any more, though, sorry. ;-( I think I bought it directly from the manufacturer. Anyway, Googling car visor extender shows a variety of products out there, but yeah, the visor should be another inch or so....

11. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

You're not the only one who finds it a problem. When I'm driving in certain directions at certain times of day (sunrise and sunset) I end up holding my hand up to block the sun out, because it's straight in my eyes and the visors are usless. I really don't see a solution.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

It took me a while to figure this out, but I think the visors are fine. In most cars, you can flip the visor down and back on to the glass and they will still cover some of the glass. Not so on the Model S... they will go up and only cover the headliner! (This also makes it hard to hold a sunshade in place in the summer).

But if you flip them straight down, so they are vertical, they do cover the top part of the glass from the driver's perspective. In fact, in this position, I wouldn't want them any lower or I might not be able to see all of the road.

Give it a try... it works for me.

13. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Tinting the windshield might help some - I used 3M Crystalline 70. When combined with sunglasses, it does a pretty good job.

14. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Yes, I do this also. Looks and seems a little weird at first, but it does the trick. Of course I am in Pittsburgh around 41 degrees N latitude, and not 60 degrees or more like the folks on the Baltic and in Scandinavia!

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

When the sun is right on the horizon, there is no visor in the world that's going to help you!

16. Mario Kadastik

Well in Estonia that is the case the whole time of daylight Dec-March. And all my previous visors worked fine. I did set it vertical and it didn't even come close.

also, tinting front windshield is illegal in Estonia.

17. D_McAllister

D_McAllister Member

Good tip thanks :biggrin:

18. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I have found the exact same to be true. If you look at the visors on any other car with a steeply raked windshield, you'll notice they are quite thin and small. Check out the visors on an Aston Rapide...

19. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

I occasionally need to do this in other cars, with normal-sized visors; thus, with its smaller visor, this is insufficient in the Model S.

20. William13

William13 Member

Mario, there are visor attachments available that will work. They will not match the class and style of the Model S though.

They come it opaque and tinted versions and attach to the car's current visor.

I bought one for my daughter to use in her Prius but it was not fashionable for her and she uses her hand or a book. Good luck.