Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visualization question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 for a month and I wonder about the visualizations. It seems the visualizations miss a lot, if they are actually the Self Driving preview.

It doesn't notice parked cars, or cars that might be pulling out of driveways. Similarly, it doesn't show cars crossing my path, or traffic coming in the opposite direction.

It also doesn't seem to take note of problems with the street, such as steel plates, potholes. speed bumps, stray garbage etc. I would definitely wasn't to avoid those, and I do, as I drive myself. Is the FSD computer aware of theses things?

Finally, it doesn't read, or respond to temporary (usually orange) speed limit signs. That has been problem once while using Autopilot.

I think you are expecting way too much. It does not show any of the things you mention.

AutoSteer will keep you in the center of your lane. It will not swerve for street imperfections.

FSD Preview can read and display standard Speed Limit signs, but does not adjust speed for them. The speed limits come from the Nav map.

Keep in mind that it really doesn't matter what it shows or doesn't show you, the computer is seeing and doing calculations on way more things than it's showing on the display. Tesla is only letting us see some things to get us used to the system. Down the road, it won't show us anything on the display that it sees, because it will be so reliable that it doesn't need to.

And yes the system still has issues with certain speed limit signs. On the highway going the 65mph speed limit I came to a trucks 35mph area and my car slowed to that limit, when it was directed at trucks (semi). It clearly wasn't programed to see the "trucks" on the sign.

“because it will be so reliable that it doesn't need to..”
I love our Tesla, but really? In whose lifetime?
I know right?! But that's the goal. For sure though, I will never buy FSD again and for Elon to think it will be worth $100,000 some day is ridiculous. By the time he gets FSD completed and it gets regulatory approval, other manufactures will have a similar feature and won't be overcharging for it. And robotaxi's everywhere, maybe in the next Century. Nice try Elon. lol