Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VMS Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently moved from Tucson, AZ to Elgin, IL about 2 weeks ago I got a VMS error and now the basically non driveable.
Is there anyone in the Chicago area that can help? The nearest SC doesn't know what to do after Iv'e made several attempt to schedule an appointment.
I know there are two plugs in the back of the VMS that need to be pulled and then plugged back in after a few seconds, but I am to old to accomplish this task.
Any help would be appreciated, would hate to see this car die a slow death!

Ok, well looking at the VDS message Wiki doesn't offer much help, but you're probably on the right track with the forced reset. The one time I had a non-responding car was fixed by pulling the two connectors and plugging them back in. It wasn't that hard, but does take a bit of dexterity to reach under the dash. Also care to not break anything or bend any of the pins.

One difference is that you do have some control at the VDS - the screen is responding to presses (mine was inert, if I recall). I expect that's a good sign.

Did the local SC actually do any research, or did they just ignore you? If the later, you might try emailing the Roadster support team at [email protected] and see if they have any ideas. Let them know your local SC has been unresponsive, because the usual response from these guys is "take the car to the SC".

Another resource is to get in touch with either Carl Medlock (Medlock & Sons, in Seattle) or Pete Gruber (Gruber Motors in Phoenix) and see if they have any other ideas.

Hopefully someone else here on this forum will chime in as well. Good luck!

EDIT: Seems like my post crossed with Jason's. He has a good point; I didn't realize the VMS is power cycled with the APS Inhibit. See: Diagnostic Screen Functions | Gruber Motors for details on how to get in. Look for Controls and Inhibit APS, and let the car power down. Then go in again and Uninhibit APS.

Last edited:
Reactions: eHorses
Here is a pic of the high voltage ESS disconnect (orange), located on the left rear of the ESS by the front of the left rear wheel. You might have to take the wheel well liner off to access that area unless you have small arms. The connector with the VMS power is on the bottom (black with red inside-it is unplugged in my pic).

If you don't have APS power, check the impact sensor which is right under the ESS disconnect. Push in the round button on top, it will click if it was tripped.

The car in the pic shown has no body panels on, so yours wont be as visible.

Attachments

• SAM_4601.JPG
    SAM_4601.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 91
The VMS still has power to it with the APS off. You need to either unplug the VMS plugs or the connector under the HV disconnect on the ESS.

With the help of Carl Medlock and Russell Fortune 673 is back and a live again. The past three weeks have really been stressful.

Removing the VMS cables taking out the switch on the ESS and putting things back together, everything is GOOD again.