Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"VMS: VMS firmwareversion doesn´t match car-wide release"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took the logs from the car and now the car got softwareproblems!

Hade a 60km drive last day and charged the car during the night.

Descided to take the logs in the morning. Maybe made a really bad decision and took an original red Tesla USB (from when the car was new 2010, newer used it myself before it was lying in the car). It includes the correct folder "VehicleLogs" and some PDF instructions on how to take the logs, charge, use radio, suspension adjustment instructions and other stuff.

Started the process. Everything looked normal. After 25min when I come back the "red fault" lamp in the cars instrument was flashing and the car said "VMS: VMS firmwareversion doesn´t match car-wide release" and on the next side "Can´t start Version number mismatch" and "Softwareproblem Service required". But I now have got a log on this red USB stick in the folder from this morning.

Could it have been "virus" or more of an older softwareversion on the USB-stick I used that collided with the cars probabaly newer software version? Strange since it only looks as if it contains PDF documents and the correct "Vehicle Logs folder" I guess the former owner newer had used this USB-stick since there were no old logs on it.

Can it even be possible that the USB-stick was some kind of Workshop USB stick and that the car tried to upload to the car and older version of the software and it corrupted the cars existing softwareversion? The car was last serviced in november 2017 when it might have got an new softwareversion. I thougt this USB port was a read only device?

Visited our local SC and talked to the Roadster mechaninc they have. He checked the log that I got on the USB-stick and maybe saw some problem regarding not beeing possible to select "drive" on the gearbox selectbuttons.

The mechanics suggested trying to reboot the WMS by disconnecting all the cables from it. I asked if this was ok without taking away any power first but he said that this would be no problem.

Advise from anyone on how to proceed? Everything in the car seems to be ok and running except the red fault lamp and that I can´t get it out of P-mode. Tow mode works ok. In the servicemenu I can see the FW-versions below.

1) Please say this is only a freak coincident that the fault came up when I took the logs or did I so anything wrong?
2) Is it ok to take the cables out from the VMS with the car turned of with the key and the chargingcable disconnected?
3) Does anyone have an idea on what to do next? Have got a new log on another USB- stick. And the parser tool but don´t remember how to use it or what to search for in the logs.

IMG_9275.JPG

Disconnected both big cables on the VMS for 30sec. But nothing changed unfortunately.

The switch on the chargeport seems to be ok since I get another red charginglight if I open the chargeport and it goes away if I close the chargegport.

Disconnected both big cables on the VMS for 30sec. But nothing changed unfortunately.

The switch on the chargeport seems to be ok since I get another red charginglight if I open the chargeport and it goes away if I close the chargegport.
Sorry to hear disconnecting the VMS did not solve the problem. I had a similar error with getting a log file and the VMS reboot solved my issue.

The red fault lamp still was lighted with the VWS disconnected. Should I try another way of rebooting it?.

I know there is a command in the servicemenue to shut the VMS off? Could also take away the batteryplug i guess. But not sure in what order things has to be done. I think I can reach the plug from behond since I have rather long and small arms/hands.

I doesn’t seem to be charging 80% right now so no hurry yet regarding bricking.

Could it have been "virus" or more of an older softwareversion on the USB-stick I used that collided with the cars probabaly newer software version? Strange since it only looks as if it contains PDF documents and the correct "Vehicle Logs folder" I guess the former owner newer had used this USB-stick since there were no old logs on it.

Can it even be possible that the USB-stick was some kind of Workshop USB stick and that the car tried to upload to the car and older version of the software and it corrupted the cars existing softwareversion? The car was last serviced in november 2017 when it might have got an new softwareversion. I thougt this USB port was a read only device?
My understanding was that the only devices that the VMS would accept on the USB port were storage devices. The VMS mounts the filesystem on the USB stick and writes the log file to it. I suppose that there could be some kind of malware on the USB stick that could exploit a weakness in the VMS Linux OS or application firmware, but that seems pretty unlikely as the explanation for the symptoms you observed. AFAIK it is not possible to update any software using the USB stick.
1) Please say this is only a freak coincident that the fault came up when I took the logs or did I so anything wrong?
2) Is it ok to take the cables out from the VMS with the car turned of with the key and the chargingcable disconnected?
3) Does anyone have an idea on what to do next? Have got a new log on another USB- stick. And the parser tool but don´t remember how to use it or what to search for in the logs.
1) Yes, I believe this is a freak coincidence.
2) The procedure for replacing the VMS calls for disabling the APS first, but I have successfully done VMS reboot (by disconnecting the two big cables) without disabling the APS but with the car just turned off. In one instance after doing this I had a fault on the VDS indicating that it could not communicate with the VMS, but that cleared itself after a minute or two.
3) If you are using VMSParser, you can get a dump of the error codes like this:

VMSParser -p -r ERR 202003xxxxxx.tar

It only prints the error message text for a few of the codes, though. You can get a fairly complete list of error codes and messages here.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
why would they allow write access from usb device; to sum it up it seems like you didn't launch or run any executable file; the logs to usb is car to usb not usb to car; so I am pretty sure you do not have a virus or malware.

I just got my car and not a expert but perhaps it's in the state of trying to write to the usb still or stuck in that state or process of writing. Did you try and use another usb device, new and or formatted and create the folder again and redo the write logs again.

Maybe something is wrong with the usb stick. I would buy another one like I said above and attempt again. do the car switch on and off on and off same process. I spoke with Gruber Motor company and probably the best advice I was given on all aspects of the car and he said it only takes 10 minutes to pull the log so something is definitely wrong.

Did you try that vehicle charge port door open and close, open and open 10+ times over and over? I read this is supposed to reset the inhibit state of the battery and possibly reset vehicle settings back to default quick reset; mistaken or not I'd try anything at this point.

You need to send your logs to gruber motor company quickly Home | Gruber Power Services ; send them an email, they can definitely debug the logs for you using hex programs; moreover, they explain they do this as a friendly service especially in your case.

Can you elaborate what is P-mode? Can you drive the car or not?

Edit; Ah Park mode; so you can't get it out of park mode seems like it's still in process of trying to write logs.

Last edited:
I spoke with Gruber Motor company and probably the best advice I was given on all aspects of the car and he said it only takes 10 minutes to pull the log so something is definitely wrong.
Normally dumping the log takes only about 10 minutes. However, I have experienced a few instances where the dump took significantly longer, like 25 minutes, without any other indication of trouble with the car. One such instance that was particularly memorable was when I was taking the car in for annual service a few years ago. I always take a log dump right before I hand over the car because once when I got the car back the entire log had been erased, including the permanent section.

If your question was directed to me, I have a couple of USB sticks that I use, but primarily it is the red 1GB Tesla-branded one like @LeoNordic mentioned. I use it every month successfully, deleting one year's worth of files when space gets too low.

no i'm trying to help out thread creator but seemed like you chimed in and I thought I was helping you out but no this was intended for thread poster.

Thanks for all the advice!

The first log i got on the red USB was probably corrupted since it was only 6,2MB, then I tried a new one immedeately after and it was more normal 9,2MB. Then tried with another USB and also got 9,2Mb. So my guessing is that something happened during the writing of the first log and that is also why the log got corrupted/didn´t get finished. I´m in contact with Gruber also and the give fantastic support so hopefully they will come up with some ideas.

Now I aalso have tried the chargeport open/close 14 times but no result. Have disconnected the VMS twice, 30 sec and 3 min before. Have the errorcodes 1533 and 887 that says the text I wrote in the first post.

If I look in the "Vital stats" I also have a funny reading för "T-trans" It says -40dgr but all other temperature readings are like +10 like in my garage. I don´t know if this has anything to do with this.

I can put it in Tow-mode and move the car by hand, but the selectorbuttons D/R/N doesn´t work only make some flashing when I try to push them.

Have contacted my local Tesla SC and they are trying to fins a timeslot for me. Sadly they already have 3 bricked Roadsters in their workshop, out of swedens 12, so they don´t need another one! My battery are at this moment at approx 80% so no problem right now, have put it in "Storage mode" so hopefully this will save some battery. Otherwise I will pull the service disconnect plug if needed.

If you press "inhibit APS" in the service menue does this lower the consumption? Then how to wake the car up again? Get in the car and use the odrinary display to get into the servicemenue and press something like "activate APS"??? (I know I need to have window down to be sure to be able to open doors when APS inhibited)

Attachments

• T-Trans strange.JPG
    T-Trans strange.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 51
Here are som more photos of what the display are showing

Attachments

• Battery right now.JPG
    Battery right now.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Errorcode 1.JPG
    Errorcode 1.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Errorcode 2.JPG
    Errorcode 2.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Errorcode 3.JPG
    Errorcode 3.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Errrorcode i january.JPG
    Errrorcode i january.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Firmware.JPG
    Firmware.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 55
If you press "inhibit APS" in the service menue does this lower the consumption? Then how to wake the car up again? Get in the car and use the odrinary display to get into the servicemenue and press something like "activate APS"??? (I know I need to have window down to be sure to be able to open doors when APS inhibited)
The VDS continues to have power from the 12V battery in a 2.x car. In a 1.5 car, as @MLAUTO explained to me, sheet #1 and #2 power a small voltage convertor inside the ESS that provides the 12V standby power. It can't be turned off. So, yes, you can use the VDS to go back to the same screen where you pressed Inhibit APS to activate the APS again. The APS runs off the entire pack voltage for the needed 12V to operate the car.

• Informative
Reactions: petergrub
Grubercompany have looked into it and they think the car only needs an update of the VMS to solve the problem. This is the explanation I got.

"-The firmware.rc file sits in a folder called /flash on the VMS, but that folder is copied to the log file every time you download a log file. Use 7Zip, or any program that can decompress/unzip, to extract the contents of the .tar file. You will find a folder named flash internally that contains the firmware.rc file. Open the firmware.rc file in a text editor and you will see that the reported VMS firmware should be 15.1.1 which is consistent with the vehicle version 4.7.2. The picture from the VDS of the firmware versions shows the VMS version as 15.1.0"

My own guess is that during the copying of the flash from the VMS something went wrong (maybe a loss of the last digit .1 in the firmware version got lost?) and then the system gets a "conflict" since the filenames are not identical in different places. So it maybe should be called a freak accident that it happened at that exact spot in the reading/writing process.

Since it is 2,5 years since last service of the car (but only 1180km driven) Tesla will do the update of the firmware and give the car a service at the same time so hopefully that will solve the problem. I will report back how it goes. Thanks for all the help here on the forum and by Peter Gruber and his team!

No one really knows why it happened. But next time I got the advice to use a newly formated and empty USB to get the logs.

Actullay the Tesla SC didn´t charge me anything for the job, including the small service that they did on the car. Excellent customer handling!

Our best guess is that something happened during my first attempt to get the log (the log that got corrupted). That made the car hook up to an older FW version in the Flasmemory and then the car got confused since it was not the one it expected, or had stored in other places. I might also be that it somehow lost the correct "ending" in the actual FW versionname and that the last digit was interpretated as a "0" instead of a "1"

This is the FW I got now. 15.1.1. When it was not working it said 15.1.0 on this menue.
FW.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and gregd