Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Command and Siri

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get it.

If the music is too loud to hear "hey Siri", it's too loud to issue voice commands.

It's not so hard to hit pause, say "hey Siri" and then issue your commands.

What am I missing?

You're missing the fact that you press a voice command button which automatically mutes the audio source. In other vehicles with Siri Eyes Free you simply long hold a button and it enables Siri. There's nothing seamless about pausing my source, saying hey siri, and then starting my source back up. Yeah it might work but so does reaching down and holding the home button. The point people are making is that other cars have had this tech for a couple years and it seems to be really easy to implement.

I press the voice command button and say Hey Siri etc. The car mutes the audio source, pausing if it can, while it processes the Hey Siri command.

By the time it returns and tells me that it cannot understand the command and reinstates the music, the phone has responded and is acting.

You're missing the fact that you press a voice command button which automatically mutes the audio source. In other vehicles with Siri Eyes Free you simply long hold a button and it enables Siri. There's nothing seamless about pausing my source, saying hey siri, and then starting my source back up. Yeah it might work but so does reaching down and holding the home button. The point people are making is that other cars have had this tech for a couple years and it seems to be really easy to implement.
My response was to @Electric Feel not a response to the fact that Tesla has done nothing to accommodate this needed functionality.

That it should be a single button long-press that does both, like my BMW.

And your BMW should get 0 gpm like the Tesla. They are different cars. Every good car has some feature we wish we had in our current ride. In a perfect world, that would happen. This isn't that world. We can hope for changes in 8.0. But for now, think of the extra button push as exercise for your thumb. Get your thumb in really buff shape then challenge a BMW guy to a thumb wrestling challenge. You will kick his butt. Oh, wait, he might take you because of all the time he spends holding the gas nozzle up to refuel his ICE bucket. Darn.

And your BMW should get 0 gpm like the Tesla. They are different cars. Every good car has some feature we wish we had in our current ride. In a perfect world, that would happen. This isn't that world. We can hope for changes in 8.0. But for now, think of the extra button push as exercise for your thumb. Get your thumb in really buff shape then challenge a BMW guy to a thumb wrestling challenge. You will kick his butt. Oh, wait, he might take you because of all the time he spends holding the gas nozzle up to refuel his ICE bucket. Darn.

I dislike responses like this because they attempt to marginalize the concerns of the original poster by mentioning features of the car that are entirely irrelevant to the original complaint. One has nothing to do with the other. We all know how great the Model S is in other aspects. No doubt it's an amazing car. That doesn't mean it doesn't have some downright silly omissions (iPhone integration) and your response adds nothing to the topic and just serves to marginalize the original poster's valid gripe.

I get what you're saying but in the case of the Model S, it truly is missing some really basic features that you expect to find in cars half it's price. So I tend to think people have a valid gripe when they mention the omission of those features, especially when it appears some of it can be added with a firmware update.

Reactions: CSFTN
I dislike responses like this because they attempt to marginalize the concerns of the original poster by mentioning features of the car that are entirely irrelevant to the original complaint. One has nothing to do with the other. We all know how great the Model S is in other aspects. No doubt it's an amazing car. That doesn't mean it doesn't have some downright silly omissions (iPhone integration) and your response adds nothing to the topic and just serves to marginalize the original poster's valid gripe.
in
I get what you're saying but in the case of the Model S, it truly is missing some really basic features that you expect to find in cars half it's price. So I tend to think people have a valid gripe when they mention the omission of those features, especially when it appears some of it can be added with a firmware update.

And I understand your point. I was just trying to add a little humor. I did say that we can hope for changes in 8.0. And I do hope that many of our concerns will be addressed. His gripe was indeed valid. But there will always be something about the car we wish was different. Just trying to have a little fun. I won't let it happen again.

And I understand your point. I was just trying to add a little humor. I did say that we can hope for changes in 8.0. And I do hope that many of our concerns will be addressed. His gripe was indeed valid. But there will always be something about the car we wish was different. Just trying to have a little fun. I won't let it happen again.

Well now I feel like a jerk. :(