Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice command doesn't register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When pushing the right scroll wheel to kick off a voice command, mine will only work half the time. I'll speak the command and it acts like it doesn't hear me. And then 10 minutes later I'll try again and then it works fine.

Does anyone else encounter this? Not sure if it's just a software bug or an issue with the microphone.

Reactions: gregoryg
Yep, this has been reported by several folks with some of the recent firmware releases. I hadn't noticed that you could wait and it would possibly work 10 minutes later. I usually am impatient, so I reboot the main screen and then submit a bug report for the mic not working and then another one for the original thing I was trying to bug report (since bug reports are generally the only thing I use the voice commands for).

Yes, still an issue for me on 44.2. I thought it might be related to playing media from my phone, because if I manually pause my media sometimes it will work. But maybe it’s just coincidence. I’d say it works less than 50% of the time.

I am having the same issue on that firmware version. It worked more consistently a month ago. The issue is intermittent. I do not think it is a wifi/LTE connection issue.

I bet it has to do not only with local connectivity but also with server availability. It seems that all voice commands require server-side validation.

Did Tesla ever say who’s processing all the voice commands, what the voice data retention policy is etc.?

Issue not completely resolved. Had more issues this morning. But still better than before.

Here’s what I have ascertained:

The voice commands work by processing your input locally, at first, and then by sending it to the cloud to a more capable engine. You can see how it first transcribes what you said, often times not quite correct, and then it fixes it after half a second or so. If the cloud connection fails, instead of just rolling with what it has, it does nothing (a rather puzzling implementation).

This should be an easy fix by their software team, however they may be tied by agreements with their voice recognition provider who, I bet, would very much like to collect all your voice input data for their own legit and totally-not-nefarious purposes.

When pushing the right scroll wheel to kick off a voice command, mine will only work half the time. I'll speak the command and it acts like it doesn't hear me. And then 10 minutes later I'll try again and then it works fine.

Does anyone else encounter this? Not sure if it's just a software bug or an issue with the microphone.
It could be one of two things. First is my car can take 1-3 minutes to get the ATT bars, meaning I am off line. When off-line there are no voice commands. If you are showing cellular coverage then maybe your media center is down. Sometimes a reboot will solve it but occasionally I have to stop and do a hard restart.

It could be one of two things. First is my car can take 1-3 minutes to get the ATT bars, meaning I am off line. When off-line there are no voice commands. If you are showing cellular coverage then maybe your media center is down. Sometimes a reboot will solve it but occasionally I have to stop and do a hard restart.

For me the signal bars and the functioning of the voice commands do not correlate well.