Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice command frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two days into ownership and I'm pulling my hair out because I can't get the car to do the simplest possible voice command, eg play my local radio station. I've tried every possible permutation from the simplest that works almost everywhere "play WBUR" to ever more complex "play FM radio station WBUR" or "tune to FM radio 90.9". Even after manually tuning to it and making it a "favorite", still no dice. Can anyone tell me how to turn the freaking radio on without poking at the screen?

On a related note, is there any way to play a non-mainsteam internet radio station other than running it through your phone? I have weird taste in music so the streaming services are pretty much useless for me. Trying to decide if there is anything useful that "premium connectivity" provides.

Tesla voice commands are lacking in the area of media control. I have no solutions. One reason I relied on my iPhone & voice assistant (Siri) + Bluetooth and used audio commands mostly. Ultimately, I installed a display behind my steering wheel which supports apple CarPlay & android auto since the voice assistance is much better.

You can use your phone as a WiFi hot spot so you don't need Tesla's Premium Connectivity plan. You may be able to stream the internet radio program if you have the Tesla internet browser in full screen mode. You would have to experiment.

...On a related note, is there any way to play a non-mainsteam internet radio station other than running it through your phone? I have weird taste in music so the streaming services are pretty much useless for me. Trying to decide if there is anything useful that "premium connectivity" provides.
TuneIn is one of the built-in streaming services - you can find a lot of radio stations there.

Not Radio voice command related, but general observation of a new Tesla MY owner here. Some days it will recognize the voice commands and some days (very few) Tesla will just say "Voice Command not recognized". Overall it is much better than any other cars I have owned however.

I have frequent problems with voice commands not being understood. My most common one is when I say "Fold the mirrors"; it nearly always responds "Hold the mirrors.....Command not understood".

I used voice recognition software occasionally during my working career, and there was often a procedure you could go through to train it to your particular voice. That would be a nice option in the car.

Reactions: macheboston
A week into owning my MY...Tesla voice command is very good at having commands available to control car features (wipers, heated seats, rear lift gate, etc).

But I'm shocked at how bad Tesla is at voice commands for music/audio. My 2016 RAV4 had voice commands for radio that worked (locally — no network required) for radio control. My Mach E had CarPlay and I had ready access to Siri. On the Mach E, short press for car's voice control; long press for Siri.

This really shows why Tesla needs CarPlay. Better music/media/audio app control and integration, Siri Shortcuts, more control of phone/text, etc.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I have frequent problems with voice commands not being understood. My most common one is when I say "Fold the mirrors"; it nearly always responds "Hold the mirrors.....Command not understood".

I used voice recognition software occasionally during my working career, and there was often a procedure you could go through to train it to your particular voice. That would be a nice option in the car.
The F seems to get lost. Try saying a-fold mirrors or mirrors fold.

With my latest update my Y no longer responds to voice commands, and when I am on the phone my voice isn't heard by the person at the other end of the call. The microphone icon comes up when I press the right button, but when I speak it shows nothing and does nothing. Hopefully an easily squashed bug. v2022.20.19.

With my latest update my Y no longer responds to voice commands, and when I am on the phone my voice isn't heard by the person at the other end of the call. The microphone icon comes up when I press the right button, but when I speak it shows nothing and does nothing. Hopefully an easily squashed bug. v2022.20.19.
That surprises me - I have been using them in a Model Y for a long time. Have you re-started the computer (press both scroll-wheels)? You are way behind in your firmware release - the newest is 2022.40.4.1.

That surprises me - I have been using them in a Model Y for a long time. Have you re-started the computer (press both scroll-wheels)? You are way behind in your firmware release - the newest is 2022.40.4.1.
I've rebooted many times. The lack of response to voice commands is episodic, some days it works, other days it doesn't hear me at all.

I have FSD, that is the second latest version compatible with FSD. The latest, 2022.36.20/10.69.3.1, is slowly rolling out, to be replaced next month by 2022.x.y/v11 of FSD.

I've rebooted many times. The lack of response to voice commands is episodic, some days it works, other days it doesn't hear me at all.

I have FSD, that is the second latest version compatible with FSD. The latest, 2022.36.20/10.69.3.1, is slowly rolling out, to be replaced next month by 2022.x.y/v11 of FSD.
VCs rely on there being a good data connection to the server so they don't always work. Perhaps that's the reason.

You can use your phone as a WiFi hot spot so you don't need Tesla's Premium Connectivity plan. You may be able to stream the internet radio program if you have the Tesla internet browser in full screen mode. You would have to experiment.
I've tried that technique with iPhone 12 on Verizon Unlimited Plan but cellular reception depends on your location. When I tried it, the effective bandwidth was so low it just didn't work!

A'int that the truth!

Today it can't hear me. The mic symbol pops up but it doesn't show anything I say. I have a service appointment on Dec 1 to have the side repeater cameras replaced to stop the bleed through of light in the blind spot camera view at night, will have them take a look at the voice problem at the same time.

I'd do a separate service request just for the voice problem but since I already have a service request pending there is no where on the app to add another request.