TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Voice Command icon not appearing on monitor

Discussion in 'Model X' started by dewittbo, Nov 2, 2019.

1. dewittbo

dewittbo Member

I am using software version V10.32.12.2 and I can no longer access my Voice Commands. The icon won't appear on the Dashboard monitor, so I can't dial my connected phone nor ask for Navigation. I have tried resetting the software via the steering wheel buttons and Power Off. Nothing works.

Any ideas?

2. shinytop

shinytop Member

There is a button above your right scroll wheel that is for Voice Command. Once you press it you can give a voice command. If you mean that does not work I have no idea. Has always worked for me.

3. Mbrockus

Mbrockus Member

I'm on the same software version and using the voice command button it worked just fine.

4. sacfan

sacfan Member

Honk your horn, then it will work. Really! See thread on Tesla Forum. Started being a problem for me yesterday.

5. sacfan

sacfan Member

Actually the button won’t start working but the voice command will. The horn takes the place of the button. Go figure ...

6. dewittbo

dewittbo Member

This is amazingly illogical--but it works. I just dislike honking the horn whenever I want to place a phone call or inputting a hands-free address for navigation....Just wish I knew what happened to disable the button-press...

7. Steinmetz

Steinmetz Maker of Lightning

Am I missing something here? "An icon on the monitor?" To my notion there is only one way to enable voice command and that is the bottom above the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel, as has been mentioned here. Is there a "soft" button on the display as well?
    By the way I have the same software release and the steering wheel button works fine.

8. Solidred

Solidred Member

this happened to me twice, coincidentally after firmware updates...take it to Tesla or have mobile service come out. The entire button module on the steering wheel needs replaced. Takes about 20 min. The scroll wheels and associated buttons are a component.

9. sacfan

sacfan Member

Honk your horn and then your voice commands will be recognized.

10. Mbrockus

Mbrockus Member

I think that is a Model 3 feature that has a microphone icon on the main screen. On a slightly off topic comment... I used the phone app to honk the horn while I'm traveling for work, I get a voice command from wife to CUT IT OUT (**#&*($($((!

• Funny x 1