TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Voice command not working after latest update

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Raabatini, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Raabatini

Raabatini Member

It works 2 out of 10 times at best, frustrating. Worked flawlessly until last update. Did reboot, no luck. Anyone else have this?

• Informative x 1
  2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Try re-pairing your phone. Remove it totally from the car and the car from the phone and re-set it up. Be sure to toggle all the BT settings for text if you want that to work, also.

Seen each release bork this on some people and a re-pair fix it.

3. Raabatini

Raabatini Member

Its all voice commands, navigation, phone, ,etc, voice commands rarely work now

• Informative x 1
  4. plasmo

plasmo Member

Same here. My voice is completely not recognized for ALL commands since update. It just has a green circle, waiting for some input... like the microphone is off or something.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. boaterva

Ah, thought it was text to phone, my bad. That’s weird. No problems here and if you’ve rebooted, the only thing I’d say to check is that the car has connectivity. (So test when on wifi.)

There have been other reports of this, wonder if yet another 40.50.x is on the way.

6. Raabatini

Raabatini Member

Glad to hear that I'm NOT crazy. Ya, green thing just comes up and doesnt know what to do, its lost. I have noticed that if u hold down the button longer, it works, occassionally

7. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Tried this today on .7 for first time... half a dozen voice commands, all worked flawlessly.

Only thing that didn't was replying to texts.

I could receive em and the car read them. I was prompted to tap screen to compose reply. It listened for the reply- and correctly transcribed it to the screen. But when I tapped again to send it just went away and vanished.

If I press the steering wheel button and give a voice command to SEND a text- that worked fine too AND actually sends it. Just replies appear to vanish somewhere for some reason.

8. emailrob

emailrob Member

I fixed mine. Had the same issues, green icon would appear but and it would listen but nothing appeared on the screen.. Just did a soft reboot - press and hold both wheels for 10 seconds or so on the steering wheel. It'll take 5 or so minutes to fully reboot - doesn't wipe anything.

Everything went back to normal and voice commands were remarkably accurate - more so than my Android Auto on my Pixel

9. AUBONES25

AUBONES25 New Member

This is good to know as I've had the same problem. Voice commands just sit there with a green icon like it can't hear me. Will try the reboot tomorrow. Thanks

10. Raabatini

Raabatini Member

I tried reboot 3 times, makes no difference.

• Informative x 1
  11. boaterva

If you haven’t tried power off, I’d try that but it’s weird the different results we’re seeing. Especially text replies and sending should be the same as both use the same phone capabilities.

Be sure all the message sync options are on on both Bluetooth menus (car and phone).

12. Knightshade

They are.

And the reply appears on my screen just fine- it's simply that when I tap the screen to send the message goes away but doesn't actually get sent.

Voice command "text so-and-so" DOES send it though.

So yeah it's weird since I agree they should either both work or neither should.

13. Turlejay

Turlejay Member

I have similar issues. It either doesn't work, or appears not to work only to figure it out 15 seconds after the command.

14. Raabatini

Raabatini Member

They just released and update, seems to have fixed my problem, so will test more over the next few days.

15. Knightshade

Eh? Latest update listed on Teslafi is still .7, which came out last year!

16. Nb1277

Nb1277 Member

What version are you on now? I just got 2019.40.50.7 update a few days ago (maybe 4 or 5 days) but seemingly no improvement for me.

• Like x 1
  17. Raabatini

Raabatini Member

I think they basically reinstalled the same patch, mine shows v10.2 2019.40.50.7 ad132c7b057e.

I got alert on app few hours ago about update, so i said update now.

Tries 4 tests, all worked, so they fixed something

18. FinallyGotMyM3

Yes I just noticed that today. I found I had to speak VERY slowly and very clearly

call
    First name of person
    Last name of person

this only happened after the .7 update for me. I’ve rebooted and still have the issue. Hopefully next release fixes it.

19. MD&AB

MD&AB New Member

After 4 releases same problem as the rest of you. I finally called it in to the 1-800 number. The CSR said that Tesla is still working on the problem and he took down my VIN and said he would pass it on.

• Like x 1
  20. AbsVMod3

AbsVMod3 New Member

Same issue, going on for weeks now. I’ve been using my AirPods to talk on the phone in the car. The back speaker clicks, and I enter destinations manually. It’s very frustrating.