Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Command not working after MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my MCU2 upgrade a few days ago but the voice command feature is not working.

It displays the microphone icon and the message (Connection Error, Try Again) on the instrument panel. Tried it with a good LTE and wifi signal,
not sure if that matters, but still no luck.

Maybe something was not connected during the upgrade?

Any suggestions or back to the service center.

Does you Bluetooth calls work via the car? I would think that would confirm the mic is connected. Also may want to bite the bullet and reset to factory if you confirm the mic is working.
Yup, bluetooth calls work. Factory reset would be last choice, hate to re-do all my settings again, was actually surprised when every one of my settings was still there after the MCU2 upgrade.

Yup, bluetooth calls work. Factory reset would be last choice, hate to re-do all my settings again, was actually surprised when every one of my settings was still there after the MCU2 upgrade.
They restored them. They must take a backup prior to replacing it. It's a complete replacement all new boards and screens. I hated factory resetting mine but it was worth it to have everything work and avoid the wait for a service center appointment.

In bad news they messed my steering wheel, bezel around the screen, my dashboard is loose above the screen. And there's an extra screw in my cup holder...

I also had them replace my front passenger seatbelt as it was locking up too easy. They messed up that repair too.. Cedar Springs SC in Dallas is not so good with interior repairs. They did great when they replaced my Rear Camber links (although it cost 1800 in labor for 230.00 parts). Now I have to wait until Aug 10th to have them fix their mess ups.

20220718_131615.jpg

20220718_132640.jpg

20220718_132615.jpg

20220718_132236.jpg

20220718_132440.jpg

Finally got my MCU2 upgrade a few days ago but the voice command feature is not working.

It displays the microphone icon and the message (Connection Error, Try Again) on the instrument panel. Tried it with a good LTE and wifi signal,
not sure if that matters, but still no luck.

Maybe something was not connected during the upgrade?

Any suggestions or back to the service center.
How did you resolve this issue?
I just got the upgrade to MCU2 and am having the same problem.... Thanks

You can go back to the service center's geofence and put your car into service mode yourself, and force it to reload the firmware. Choose complete download option. You don't need to wait for it to download there once it is started.

Mine was doing the same thing (voice command connection error) but that was fixed after it reloaded the firmware.

Thanks..... can you please explain a little more about reloading the firmware. I know how to get into service mode but I see a warning in the software section about reloading for an MCU upgrade. Where can I find the MCU2 firmware that needs to be reloaded?

Last edited:
Thanks..... can you please explain a little more about reloading the firmware. I know how to get into service mode but I see a warning in the software section about reloading for an MCU upgrade. Where can I find the MCU2 firmware that needs to be reloaded?
Ok, I found the warning on mine - This screen?
2022-09-05 18-15-49.jpeg

This is what the service center had me do on mine, and it worked fine. I don't know why they have this warning other than maybe to limit the number of downloads / data load.

Yes, that warning is the same either way - you can see the switch underneath for either full or partial. I was also having an issue with the suspension not behaving after the MCU upgrade, and their suggestion was the full reload.

It didn't fix the suspension but the voice command started behaving afterwards.

The only other thought I have is if you want to try something else before loading the software - go to your wheel configuration and change the size of the wheels from one to the other. This will force the ENTIRE car to reboot, and maybe that will clear it. Then just change it back, and the car will reboot again.

If that doesn't work, you can still do the software reload.

Reactions: Snax