Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Command not working after MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my MCU2 upgrade a few days ago but the voice command feature is not working.

It displays the microphone icon and the message (Connection Error, Try Again) on the instrument panel. Tried it with a good LTE and wifi signal,
not sure if that matters, but still no luck.

Maybe something was not connected during the upgrade?

Any suggestions or back to the service center.
Same thing happened to me on Model X after MCU2 upgrade. Tried everything short of factory firmware reset. Have SC appt in a few weeks, but wish it was fixed when they had it.

Reactions: Gr8pursuit
So I set up a service ranger visit because I still wasn't getting theater options and any voice recognition. The day before the service ranger was to come out he asked if they could send a software upgrade which they did. Took about 90 minutes and as soon as the upgrade was set everything switched on and worked. They were able to do this all remotely. Good luck

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
So I set up a service ranger visit because I still wasn't getting theater options and any voice recognition. The day before the service ranger was to come out he asked if they could send a software upgrade which they did. Took about 90 minutes and as soon as the upgrade was set everything switched on and worked. They were able to do this all remotely. Good luck
Did your homelink, driver profiles, etc... remain intact after reloading the software upgrade? I just did the MCU 2 upgrade yesterday and none of my settings were restored. I had to redo homelink, driver profiles, bluetooth, wifi, every single thing you can imagine. Wasn't happy about that. Now I have a ticket open to reactivate my car's slacker account for streaming music, and I have no voice command. I don't understand why they don't run through a functionality checklist before releasing the car to the owner.

Did your homelink, driver profiles, etc... remain intact after reloading the software upgrade? I just did the MCU 2 upgrade yesterday and none of my settings were restored. I had to redo homelink, driver profiles, bluetooth, wifi, every single thing you can imagine. Wasn't happy about that. Now I have a ticket open to reactivate my car's slacker account for streaming music, and I have no voice command. I don't understand why they don't run through a functionality checklist before releasing the car to the owner.
Yes. No profile settings or customization were affected.

You can go back to the service center's geofence and put your car into service mode yourself, and force it to reload the firmware. Choose complete download option. You don't need to wait for it to download there once it is started.

Mine was doing the same thing (voice command connection error) but that was fixed after it reloaded the firmware.
Any idea if reloading the firmware via service mode factory resets the car?

In bad news they messed my steering wheel, bezel around the screen, my dashboard is loose above the screen. And there's an extra screw in my cup holder...
same here, after the MCU2 upgrade, my steering wheel is crooked and they are telling me it's because my car needs a 4-wheel alignment - in otherwords they are refusing to correct it.

had the voice command issue but it eventually started working after a few days. IIRC only thing I had to re-program was homelink. I got the FM radio add-on as well.

Just performed the service mode software reinstall and still no voice command or TuneIn radio. Even worse I can’t log into Spotify anymore. This MCU 2 upgrade has been a
Just performed the service mode software reinstall and still no voice command or TuneIn radio. Even worse I can’t log into Spotify anymore. This MCU 2 upgrade has been a nightmare.
Quick update voice commands and TuneIn working two days after the reinstall.

Would you spell out all the steps you did to reinstall the software?
From the car's main menu choose - software - then press and hold the Model S symbol for like 5-10 seconds. A pop up will appear asking for a password. Type "service" (all lowercase no quotes). From there you should see a software reinstall button. I pressed that and did the full reinstall after accepting the message about not performing it unless you replaced the ECU. Obviously you perform this at your own risk but it did the trick for me, and my voice command and TuneIn radio started working about a day or two later and all my profile settings, homelink, etc... were still there so it was less invasive than the factory reset some people have been doing. That was going to be my last resort before taking it in for service.

• Informative
From the car's main menu choose - software - then press and hold the Model S symbol for like 5-10 seconds. A pop up will appear asking for a password. Type "service" (all lowercase no quotes). From there you should see a software reinstall button. I pressed that and did the full reinstall after accepting the message about not performing it unless you replaced the ECU. Obviously you perform this at your own risk but it did the trick for me, and my voice command and TuneIn radio started working about a day or two later and all my profile settings, homelink, etc... were still there so it was less invasive than the factory reset some people have been doing. That was going to be my last resort before taking it in for service.

Thanks for the details.

What year is your Model S?

Also, did you have to do it away from the service center or within the vicinity of the service center Geo-Fenced area?

Apparently the requirement to be within the geofence has been taken away, possibly as part of the right-to-repair lawsuits that have been done against Tesla in some states.

So you can place it in service mode anywhere. From the "service center people lie to you" file, one also said that you could only put it in service mode IF you already had an active service request in the app on your phone. This has also been proven to be complete nonsense.

• Informative
Ok, I found the warning on mine - This screen? View attachment 849293

This is what the service center had me do on mine, and it worked fine. I don't know why they have this warning other than maybe to limit the number of downloads / data load.
I have the same problem with an upgrade completed this week, do you have to be connected to the SC wifi for this to work? SC is 45 minutes from my house. Thank you.