Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Command not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
A few days ago, I noticed I could no longer issue voice commands successfully. When attempting to "Call..." or "Navigate to...", the dash would tell me it was "Processing" much longer than normal, then would ultimately fail with a "No Connectivity" message.

I thought it was perhaps an anomaly, but I noticed it again today. I tested several more times where I have known good connectivity (i.e. I have Slacker running and the map tile update). Same issue.

Rebooted the center console. No change.

I know my mic works, as I can use speakerphone. And the message is not the same as when I'm speaking unintelligibly.

I haven't rebooted the dash console yet, so I'll try that next. Other than that, any thoughts?

I was surprised that this was the only thread that showed up when I searched for this issue this morning. Mine stopped working before the holidays. I went through the normal reboot procedures to try to fix it that way, but still got the same results you described ("No Connectivity"). I clearly have connectivity as all other functions work. I called Fremont in December and was told that a firmware update had knocked out that functionality somehow. The rep told me to wait awhile and he would push another update to me to correct things. I expected things to work the morning after, but still no dice. After the holidays, I tried again and still had no luck so called again. At that point, the Rockville MD Service Center told me it was a widespread issue that Tesla was working on and that there was nothing I could do. Ugh. It's been about 3 weeks....

A few days ago, I noticed I could no longer issue voice commands successfully. When attempting to "Call..." or "Navigate to...", the dash would tell me it was "Processing" much longer than normal, then would ultimately fail with a "No Connectivity" message.

I thought it was perhaps an anomaly, but I noticed it again today. I tested several more times where I have known good connectivity (i.e. I have Slacker running and the map tile update). Same issue.

I know my mic works, as I can use speakerphone. And the message is not the same as when I'm speaking unintelligibly.

I haven't rebooted the dash console yet, so I'll try that next. Other than that, any thoughts?

Is your bluetooth and Wifi also down? That happens to me whenever I use sleep mode and service didn't fix it. Some times it takes multiple reboots to get it to work again. In my case I have to leave sleep mode off so I don't have to deal with it every time I get in the car. I was waiting unit after the holidays to have them look at it again.

I was surprised that this was the only thread that showed up when I searched for this issue this morning. Mine stopped working before the holidays. I went through the normal reboot procedures to try to fix it that way, but still got the same results you described ("No Connectivity"). I clearly have connectivity as all other functions work. I called Fremont in December and was told that a firmware update had knocked out that functionality somehow. The rep told me to wait awhile and he would push another update to me to correct things. I expected things to work the morning after, but still no dice. After the holidays, I tried again and still had no luck so called again. At that point, the Rockville MD Service Center told me it was a widespread issue that Tesla was working on and that there was nothing I could do. Ugh. It's been about 3 weeks....

Ah, ok... well I'm glad I'm not the only one (misery loves company and all). I have to call the Rockville Service Center about a couple of things anyway, so I might mention it, but I'll not hold out for anything until the FW update.

Thanks for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Is your bluetooth and Wifi also down? That happens to me whenever I use sleep mode and service didn't fix it. Some times it takes multiple reboots to get it to work again. In my case I have to leave sleep mode off so I don't have to deal with it every time I get in the car. I was waiting unit after the holidays to have them look at it again.

Nope, WiFi and BT are just fine...

Ah, ok... well I'm glad I'm not the only one (misery loves company and all). I have to call the Rockville Service Center about a couple of things anyway, so I might mention it, but I'll not hold out for anything until the FW update.

Thanks for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, WiFi and BT are just fine...

Aren't you on 5.6? Perhaps that's why? (As a data point, 5.8.4 has been working perfectly for me. Haven't rebooted my car in months).

Here is my two cents:
Same thing happened to mea couple of weeks ago. Voice controlswere working fine and then they just stopped one morning and after giving avoice command it would take an abnormal amount time to process and then I wouldget the message that “Voice Control Not Available – No Connectivity”. I called the local service center and theyadvised they were aware of the problem with several other cars and took myinfo.
I tried all of the normal reboots with noluck. I did notice that when I connectedto my home wireless network or connected to the hotspot on my AT&T phonethat the voice commands worked fine. Thiswent on for about a week and I then followed up with Tesla right after NewYears (1/2) to see if they had figured anything out, and they advised they werestill waiting to hear from the factory for a solution. In speaking with the Tesla rep it seemed thatone of the triggers may have been when the car switched over from my homenetwork over to 3G which may have initially caused the glitch. Not sure if there is any weight to that ornot.
Here comes the strangepart, I parked my car on 1/2 (Thursday Evening) and did not get back in ituntil the following Monday, 1/6. I went tocheck it again as I was going to send the service center another email and itworked fine, no problems with voice commands, and I was 3G. It has worked fine since then with noproblems.
I emailed the servicecenter to let them know it was working and they advised they were not aware ofanything that had been pushed out but were going to check into it further. I have not heard anything back…..
I can only hope that theypushed something out that did not require any input from the user end and thatis what fixed the issue.

Add me as a "me too", had the exact same issue yesterday. Interestingly my signal indicator showed 5 bars BUT, did not say 3G next to it as it usually does. I did a reboot and all was well. let's hope it stays that way.
photo_1.JPG
photo_2.JPG

*Sorry they're so fuzzy, shot photos while in motion...don't tell my kids.

I'ts been reported that the connection back to the Tesla mothership is via a VPN. I wonder if the command processing commands are routed to the server infrastructure over this VPN, and they had some back-end issue with the routing over the 3G connection as opposed over an external connection.

Not terribly likely, but I can envision a few cases where this might be...

Last edited:
I'ts been reported that the connection back to the Tesla mothership is via a VPN. I wonder if the command processing commands are routed to the server infrastructure over this VPN, and they had some back-end issue with the routing over the 3G connection as opposed over an external connection.

Not terribly likely, but I can envision a few cases where this might be...

The mothership could still see me when the tech was looking at my car, but maybe it's some separate link for voice commands. In either case, it sounds like the root of the problem is w/ the WiFi/3G switchover like Gerstein alluded to. Fremont called me back today with a few other suggestions. First, they suggested I try it using a wifi hotspot (it worked!). Then they suggested that I go somewhere and connect to a wifi connection. Once connected, I am to drive away so that the wifi connection gets broken. I think their hope is that it will reset its link back to the mothership for voice commands. I haven't had chance to pull this one yet, but will keep folks posted.

The mothership could still see me when the tech was looking at my car, but maybe it's some separate link for voice commands. In either case, it sounds like the root of the problem is w/ the WiFi/3G switchover like Gerstein alluded to. Fremont called me back today with a few other suggestions. First, they suggested I try it using a wifi hotspot (it worked!). Then they suggested that I go somewhere and connect to a wifi connection. Once connected, I am to drive away so that the wifi connection gets broken. I think their hope is that it will reset its link back to the mothership for voice commands. I haven't had chance to pull this one yet, but will keep folks posted.

Not just voice, I tried to manually enter the address and it still showed "No Connection" (see the fuzzy photo in my post above)

Interesting that manually typing the address failed for you. It works for me.

This does feel like a firmware/Tesla mothership issue, nothing to do with AT&T.

I wonder if the voice processing is done at Tesla's datacenter or is routed out to an external service (Google?)... if the latter, that routing could be jacked up...

If so it's car specific. My car has the same issue, but my loaner that I have works perfectly. Both running 5.8.4....

Peter

PS, I wish I was back at 5.6....

Interesting that manually typing the address failed for you. It works for me.

This does feel like a firmware/Tesla mothership issue, nothing to do with AT&T.

I wonder if the voice processing is done at Tesla's datacenter or is routed out to an external service (Google?)... if the latter, that routing could be jacked up...

Okay, it gets stranger for me.............

I last reported that my voice control connectivity stopped for a week or so and then just started working again, for some unknown reason. This only applies to being in the 3G network, when I am on wifi everything worked fine.

So for about the last two weeks voice control worked fine, until yesterday morning when I tried navigating or listening to music using voice control over 3G I received the same error that voice control did not have connectivity. When I type an address or manually search over 3G I am good but no voice commands...............

From the lack of response on this thread it is obviously a very minimal impact but an impact nonetheless. I will contact service again..........

Anyone else get it working again????

I am on the latest firmware and have a low vin 19XX.