Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

voice command problems? try this...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was one of many complaining about the loss of voice command functionality after the recent slew of updates, including the most recent firmware on my car: 2020.4.1. Turns out I wasn't using the voice command button as Tesla now has it configured.

This works:

"press and release voice command button" --> "state voice command" --> "wait to see if car got it right (fingers crossed, it did)"

Give it a try.

I was at service center last Friday and was able to troubleshoot this issue with service adviser (btw, he didn't know how correctly perform voice commands properly either at first).

In earlier firmware versions, to use voice command, you had to press and hold the button while giving command, then release (this made the most sense to me). More recently, I think the method has been to press/release button, give command, then press/release button again.

This solution has been mentioned within several other posts, but I'm not sure the message has been widely received. Not sure if this is even in the firmware release notes.

I've always done press-and-release. Then sat there and listened when it suggested I call people I've never heard of and certainly don't have in my contacts list. There was an update last night that claims to have rebuilt the voice command system to use more natural language. Maybe now if I say my wife's name I won't get a stranger.

It does seem to work better for me if I wait until the text appears in the display before I press it again at the end. Or maybe that second press is not even needed. But if I press as soon as I'm done speaking, usually nothing happens.

dithermaster - as mentioned above I really think the current buttonology is to press and release button once, state command and hope it works. No second button click. No holding the button. I’m at about 90% since trying this method.

Indeed, the original method was PRESS AND HOLD.

See my 2013 Model S manual, circa March 2013

TeslaVoice Command.JPG

Mine seems to work on the sequence of Press, release, wait for beep, talk, then wait for it to stop listening. I much prefer the previous sequence of Press once, wait for Beep, talk, then press the button at the end of speaking to let Tesla know I'm done talking.

Not a useless tip at all (see reddy’s screenshot above)! This change was not noted in the release notes or 2020.4 (that I saw, anyways). Threw me for a loop until I saw a comment about press ‘n release in another thread a few days ago. VC works better than ever now. This tip will help quite a few older model owners, I would think (‘15 S 85 here). Cheers.

-shud

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Model S Raven on 2020.4.1

I have only used push-release-talk.

I reckon over all (including previous firmware) well below 20% of my attempts at giving voice commands actually display text on right of IC display. When it does respond, the attempt at converting to text shows up immediately and is usually accurate. Most of the time it just doesn't attempt to display any text at all.

I was one of many complaining about the loss of voice command functionality after the recent slew of updates, including the most recent firmware on my car: 2020.4.1. Turns out I wasn't using the voice command button as Tesla now has it configured.

This works:

"press and release voice command button" --> "state voice command" --> "wait to see if car got it right (fingers crossed, it did)"

Give it a try.

I was at service center last Friday and was able to troubleshoot this issue with service adviser (btw, he didn't know how correctly perform voice commands properly either at first).

In earlier firmware versions, to use voice command, you had to press and hold the button while giving command, then release (this made the most sense to me). More recently, I think the method has been to press/release button, give command, then press/release button again.

This solution has been mentioned within several other posts, but I'm not sure the message has been widely received. Not sure if this is even in the firmware release notes.
Thank you for this post! I was one of the frustrated owners who lost voice commands with software 2020.4.1 because I used the old-school "press button and hold" technique. Press button and release has voice commands back, including the new ones.

The new "press button and release" is a lot better than the old way I learned to do it so I can see why Tesla changed it.