Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

voice command problems? try this...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a full list of supported commands somewhere? Just found out that I can ask it to lock/unlock doors. It's cool when I'm waiting for someone and don't want to press the unlock on the screen to present the door handles.

This explains why I've been having so many issues with voice recognition.

I really prefer the press and hold method because if I'm conversing with someone in the car, I can release the button and immediately continue with the conversation.

Hope they bring press and hold back...

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I have an original Model S, and while it originally required the Press-and-Hold, at some point it started working with Press-Release and start talking, and it would figure out when you were done. At least that method worked fine for "Call X Y" from my contact list. After the December software update, this stopped working. It would sometimes just get a few words of my utterance, but usually none. This past week i tried Press-Hold and it sort of worked - it would show most or all of the speech, but still not make the call.

HERE IS WHAT WORKS on my older Model S - the voice response system seems pretty sluggish. Press & Hold - Make the utterance - KEEP HOLDING until you get the response at the bottom of the screen.

PRESS ... "Call X Y" ...wait until "Calling X Y" appears at the bottom then and only then RELEASE, and it makes the call.
PRESS ... "Set temperature to 68 degrees"...keep holding..."Temperature set to 68 degrees" appears at the bottom. RELEASE.

This method is working 100% for me. However, it may be different in your fancy new Model 3's and newer Model S's with a much faster processor in the MCU.

It seems if i press and hold while i talk, then release right as i'm done talking, it chops off the last word or two, like i released too early.
If i hold an extra second or two, it shows the full utterance, e.g. "Call X Y" but then it doesn't do it! The only way it works is to keep holding until it acknowledges the result of the command.

This is bad for two reasons:
1) I have to keep holding the button and steering - so don't do it if you need to turn.
2) I have to glance down at the display to make sure it acknowledged the command before I release.

Please reply and let me know if this works for anyone else that is still having problems.

I have an original Model S, and while it originally required the Press-and-Hold, at some point it started working with Press-Release and start talking, and it would figure out when you were done. At least that method worked fine for "Call X Y" from my contact list. After the December software update, this stopped working. It would sometimes just get a few words of my utterance, but usually none. This past week i tried Press-Hold and it sort of worked - it would show most or all of the speech, but still not make the call.

HERE IS WHAT WORKS on my older Model S - the voice response system seems pretty sluggish. Press & Hold - Make the utterance - KEEP HOLDING until you get the response at the bottom of the screen.

PRESS ... "Call X Y" ...wait until "Calling X Y" appears at the bottom then and only then RELEASE, and it makes the call.
PRESS ... "Set temperature to 68 degrees"...keep holding..."Temperature set to 68 degrees" appears at the bottom. RELEASE.

This method is working 100% for me. However, it may be different in your fancy new Model 3's and newer Model S's with a much faster processor in the MCU.

It seems if i press and hold while i talk, then release right as i'm done talking, it chops off the last word or two, like i released too early.
If i hold an extra second or two, it shows the full utterance, e.g. "Call X Y" but then it doesn't do it! The only way it works is to keep holding until it acknowledges the result of the command.

This is bad for two reasons:
1) I have to keep holding the button and steering - so don't do it if you need to turn.
2) I have to glance down at the display to make sure it acknowledged the command before I release.

Please reply and let me know if this works for anyone else that is still having problems.

I really think it depends on what firmware you're running on. My original S90D buttonology worked just as you describe above, although even that changed with firmware updates (at the time I traded it in, the method was "click and release" --> state command --> "click and release again").

With the newest software updates, starting around the end of December, the function has clearly changed to "click and release" --> state command --> see if car gets it right (no additional button clicks).

Thank you for this post! I was one of the frustrated owners who lost voice commands with software 2020.4.1 because I used the old-school "press button and hold" technique. Press button and release has voice commands back, including the new ones.

The new "press button and release" is a lot better than the old way I learned to do it so I can see why Tesla changed it.

How one presses the button seems unimportant when the functionality of voice commands (esp. re the phone) is so lousy.

I must have the worst luck. I could never use the press to call until my last ranger visit. he reset the car did other work and left it started working most of the time until I discovered what he did. He had removed my USB and turned of sentry mode. As soon as I plug back in a cycle the car, voice no longer works.

I have kept the USB out for a while now and it has been working for the most part. still have a lot of "call Janes" as noted above when I call certain people. Even with the 2020.4.1 big voice rewrite the system still sucks for phone calls.