Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice command to make calls not working?

Conks01

Jan 16, 2021
Bristol
Hi,

Has anyone else had this problem?

It was working fine and all other voice commands work but when you press the right button and say 'call____' nothing happens.

Doesn't matter who I ask to call or just stops dead?

It works and makes calls through the calls menu?

Have done both a soft and hard reboot plus power off option also.

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks.

Reactions: Shamrock17

jrcase

May 9, 2019
Knoxville, TN
Same here. I did several reboots too. I use an iPhone. I think it started happening after the iOS update 14.4. Maybe just a coincidence but it seemed to happen to me about the same time I updated my phone software.

beachsideev

May 23, 2020
usa
This is weird because I stopped being able to make calls with the voice command this week to. however if I start the call on the phone it switches over to the car no problem. The volume level on streamed music has been wonky lately too.

I use an android phone.

rincewind

Nov 5, 2019
London England
I'm in England and believe me, voice activated calls have never worked properly. Even a simple name e.g. "Call Paul" ends up call Pool or something worse. I just use Siri.

Hank101

Go Tigers!
Apr 19, 2016
Greenville, SC
What a wild coincidence - Just scheduled mobile service for this issue. Seems to have started happening last couple of days. Repaired phone twice, rebooted infotainment twice, reloaded phone app software, nothing helped.

Sounds like someone at Tesla is "fidgeting" with something in the background.

Conks01

Jan 16, 2021
Bristol
What a wild coincidence - Just scheduled mobile service for this issue. Seems to have started happening last couple of days. Repaired phone twice, rebooted infotainment twice, reloaded phone app software, nothing helped.

Sounds like someone at Tesla is "fidgeting" with something in the background.

? Let us know how it goes please. My LR is booked in for the 15th so I'll add this to the list what with the drivers side camera not working and charge port that doesn't open on touch, and the cars only 5 weeks old!

danarcha

Feb 9, 2020
South Bend, IN
This happened to me tonight. Usually it works fine but today when I pressed the scroll wheel and said, "Call [wife's name]" the display showed, "Call [wife's name]" but that's it... Nothing else happened. I have a second contact with my wife's first name, so usually two buttons appear and I have to press which contact to call. Those buttons didn't appear, nothing else happned.

Reactions: Transformer

leonar40

Jan 6, 2021
Bloomington, IN
Yep, same here, I was just searching for this. Obviously something changed. I'm not getting notified on text messages anymore either. I can still make calls using the phone menu and they switch over to the car fine so I know my bluetooth is working ok. I'm sure it will get fixed soon.

beachsideev

May 23, 2020
usa
What I find strange is I didn't get an update before this started happening. Is it possible they are pushing updates without notifying us?

danarcha

Feb 9, 2020
South Bend, IN
Not sure about the rest of you but this is now working so was wondering if it was a Tesla problem their end

I've believe that anytime you use a voice command it connects to the Tesla servers. So maybe something was down with their servers that caused phone call voice commands to stop functioning?

Dec 26, 2019
Silicon Valley
I've believe that anytime you use a voice command it connects to the Tesla servers. So maybe something was down with their servers that caused phone call voice commands to stop functioning?

Yes, surprisingly it seems the words get recognized in-car and echoed on screen, then the text command gets interpreted by servers. If the car can't contact a server, then at best it might display "command not understood" or something.

V10 and Voice Commands?

kpgrizz

Feb 4, 2021
Louisville,Ky
It's working! Went for a drive last night & used voice command to complete several calls without an issue.
Let's hope it lasts. Now if the missing album art for USB music would return, I'll be a happy camper.

EdShark

Feb 4, 2021
NJ
It's working! Went for a drive last night & used voice command to complete several calls without an issue.
Let's hope it lasts. Now if the missing album art for USB music would return, I'll be a happy camper.
Mine is working too. My friend that is a super IT person thinks that part may not be total bluetooth issue and may have been fixed by tesla in the clould

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC