Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice command "Trunk close" being interpreted as "Trunk clothes".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to have an issue saying "Trunk close", with the vehicle interpreting my accent as "Trunk clothes". Sometimes I'll even see the screen display "Trunk close" then switch to "Trunk clothes".

Is there any way to set vehicle-operation keywords to have a higher priority than arbitrary words like "clothes" which have no meaning in context?

I've tried pronouncing cloze, kloss, closs, clous, clouz, klouz, qlose, qloze, and dozens of other permutations of similar-sounding letters, but I cannot reliably get the car to recognize the word "close". Can anybody else reproduce this behaviour? What part of the word should I be emphasizing or demphasizing?

This is on a Model 3, delivered last week. All other voice commands seem to be interpreted properly.

I have the same problem with "fold mirrors". It wants to interpret that as "old mirrors".

What I do, is I really annunciate the 'f', as in "fffffffold mirrors".

Maybe you could try: "trunk clozzzzzzzzze"
Yes, I've certainly tried accenting the "s" and "z" sounds, with no reproducible improvement. I've also tried emphasizing the beginning of the word to reduce the "th" sound, also with no improvement.

For what it's worth, my childrens' voices also invoke the "clothes" interpretation.

But now I'm thinking to try "lower trunk" (modulo word order).

I've had very sporadic trouble with an occasional voice command over 15 months but nothing repeatable. What worked for me was to raise my face towards the rear view mirror and speak a little slower. Environmental conditions like interior or exterior noise did not seem to be a factor when it happens. Since you're not moving or at risk of distraction on the trunk command, you may have to write it off and just tap the trunk on the screen.

Yes, I've certainly tried accenting the "s" and "z" sounds, with no reproducible improvement. I've also tried emphasizing the beginning of the word to reduce the "th" sound, also with no improvement.

For what it's worth, my childrens' voices also invoke the "clothes" interpretation.
Well I guess the person that put something into the open trunk could reach up and pull it down! ;)

I raise my face towards the rear view mirror and speak slowly "Trunk. Close.".

The fine screen shows the text "truck close" then that quickly changes to "trunk clothes".

Very interesting. It's hearing you correctly and then acts as if it can't match what it hears and changes to the next best guess. I don't know of anything you can do at this point.

I found this "Like most features, voice commands will continue to improve over time in both functionality and performance." on the support page here.
May be fixed at some point or not.

I seem to have an issue saying "Trunk close", with the vehicle interpreting my accent as "Trunk clothes". Sometimes I'll even see the screen display "Trunk close" then switch to "Trunk clothes".

Is there any way to set vehicle-operation keywords to have a higher priority than arbitrary words like "clothes" which have no meaning in context?

I've tried pronouncing cloze, kloss, closs, clous, clouz, klouz, qlose, qloze, and dozens of other permutations of similar-sounding letters, but I cannot reliably get the car to recognize the word "close". Can anybody else reproduce this behaviour? What part of the word should I be emphasizing or demphasizing?

This is on a Model 3, delivered last week. All other voice commands seem to be interpreted properly.
Enunciate

Honestly that seems like a software issue. Is there some sort of soft / hard reset you can do? It’s like it remembers your original accent and is saying “oh wait, I remember he was trying to say ‘Trunk Clothes,’ because he really loves going to that place.”

On a project someone on my team started saying “Lorry is late today”.

So I asked him which lorry? The one bringing the gravel?

Needless to say he was pissed.

What he really was trying to say was “Today my wife Laurie is late coming to work”

How do you expect AI to take care of such acts?

See post #13 above. Problem was tested, failure replicated, and was solved by saying "Close Trunk" in that order. Even had my wife say "trunk close" and it fails. She says "Close Trunk" and it works.