Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Command unintentionally turned on all seat heaters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The voice commands are a welcome interface for a number of safety reasons related to taking one's eye off the road to use the touchscreen. But beware, I tried 'my girlfriend is cold' command, thinking it would turn the passenger seat's heat on. I saw that it turned on both the driver and the passenger seats' heaters to max, so I turned them off right away. Unknown to me, the back seat's 3 heaters were also turned onto max. It took us 20 min or more to figure out why our poor puppy wouldn't settle down and sleep on the back seat like usual. What could possibly be the logic of turning on the heat to max for all 5 seats in a Model 3? Any other voice commands that users should worry about? These voice commands are not in the owners manual - just a ref to a brief table on the Tesla website. The other website that tracks all the new voice commands is great aid, but who can guess what the Tesla software programmers are thinking when they write their code?

The voice commands are a welcome interface for a number of safety reasons related to taking one's eye off the road to use the touchscreen. But beware, I tried 'my girlfriend is cold' command, thinking it would turn the passenger seat's heat on. I saw that it turned on both the driver and the passenger seats' heaters to max, so I turned them off right away. Unknown to me, the back seat's 3 heaters were also turned onto max. It took us 20 min or more to figure out why our poor puppy wouldn't settle down and sleep on the back seat like usual. What could possibly be the logic of turning on the heat to max for all 5 seats in a Model 3? Any other voice commands that users should worry about? These voice commands are not in the owners manual - just a ref to a brief table on the Tesla website. The other website that tracks all the new voice commands is great aid, but who can guess what the Tesla software programmers are thinking when they write their code?

How is the car supposed to know where your "girlfriend" is sitting? It makes perfect sense to me that the car would turn all the seat heaters on if you say you are cold, especially since seat heaters are more efficient than turning on the heat.

Advice would be to not use generic commands like "Im cold" and instead say " turn passenger seat heater on" or "set temperature to XX degrees".

Anything that requires an assumption should be checked

==============

(moderator note: thread title changed from "beware voice commands" to a more description thread title for what the OP is reporting)

Reactions: Thp3