Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Commands After Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the latest update redesigned the screen, I have been unable to find the microphone icon.
How do we do voice commands now?

Why do we have to sit in our car to read the release notes or wait for someone to post a video showing us what has changed? Why doesn’t Tesla make the release notes available via the app?

Reactions: Missile Toad
After the latest update redesigned the screen, I have been unable to find the microphone icon.

Why do we have to sit in our car to read the release notes or wait for someone to post a video showing us what has changed? Why doesn’t Tesla make the release notes available via the app?

The same way most people access them before the update, which is with the steering wheel button (to answer the first question). To provide an opinion on the second (why arent release notes in the app), I dont know. They should provide them in both places. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that everything that changed is "in the car" so they provide the notes in the car.

Thanks so much. I always used the microphone icon, so didn't realize that the right scroll wheel could be used for voice commands. I really appreciate your help.

I forgot there was a button on the screen, actually so I didnt even realize it was removed. Happy to help. It might require you to get used to pushing the scroll wheel button vs the one on screen (I am not making light of changing workflows, that can be frustrating even if something is "easier"), but in the end it will be easier for you once you get used to it.

I finally found the microphone using the right scroll wheel, but when trying to use voice activation for phone calls there is no connection. The screen displays "Call so and so" but then disappears without connecting the call. Tesla service says it is a firmware error, but offered no correction. This is a potentially dangerous situation.

I don't regularly use the voice commands but wanted to this morning. Surprise; no mic icon which was there before the update. Thank goodness for this forum. Without it I'd never have known that the scroll wheel was the key. Thanks to all.
This isn't the first time Tesla has removed functionality without including a suitable post-install briefing to explain the lost feature. This seems to be part of Tesla culture -- make the user guess or trial-and-error. Frankly, I don't think their engineering staff mind that people develop the impression that the car is broken.