Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice commands didn't work for a while ("not connected"). Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voice commands require the internet connection, it looks like the recognition isn't done by the onboard computer but is instead done in the cloud.
EDIT: That's what I think, not 100% sure, but that is how it feels.
I can back this up. I was driving during a power outage and there was no cell service. I tried to use Voice Commands and it said not available. Makes sense. A lot of the voice recognition stuff happens in the cloud for a lot of companies.

Recognizing your words happens in-car. Translating those words into actions uses a network request. (This confused me when trying to figure out how to successfully express voice commands while parked in the garage. It'll display the words as they're recognized, then wait, then punt.)

This design makes sense for navigation requests, internet audio searches, and easter eggs, but it's unreliable and slow for car controls like turning on recirculation and fog lights.

This happens to me about 5-10 times per week, generally at the beginning of a drive. It's a bummer to go without music for the first few minutes or not know which freeway to take to avoid traffic but it's especially annoying when I need to do something important like adjust the windshield wipers, defroster, or do the routine "morning after" turning off of the seat/wheel heaters. My town has the perfect combination of topology and population density to have spectacularly good cellular coverage and the car always shows full bars of course, but the car doesn't care.

Following.

Took delivery of my M3P few days ago. Experienced loss of voice command and navigation for a few minutes today.
May have had something to do with being in the city of "Signal Hill" or raining or a combo...

The downside of a car with reinvented wheels is that some of the things the designers tried aren't entirely successful. Voice commands requiring cellular data is one of them, another is excessive reliance on cameras that get obscured easily by condensation.

There are far more successes, however.

Reactions: Transformer
There is definitely an issue with the vehicle/software connecting to LTE during the first few minutes of a drive - which explains all your issues. For some reason, the vehicle occasionally takes 1-3 minutes to acquire the LTE signal, especially if the vehicle is not plugged in. It seems to be much more reliable when plugged in…which is unfortunate, because usually when you are not plugged in is when you are away from home and often need immediate access to navigation.