Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Commands in 2019.40.50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been exploring newly supporting voice commands. Anyone been able to get “open glovebox” to work on your MX? I have 2020 LR and no go. Wondering if this feature is only supported on M3?

what other new commands have you tried and enjoyed?

Almost none. It's working a little better today than yesterday but still about a 95% fail rate. Glove box a no go. Most of the time it doesn't even seem that it's hearing me. I've been able to reply to one text message, can't initiate any. Most commands, even if it hears me, are ignored. MX P100D FSD 2.5 (so no new screen visualizations either).

Edit: Plus, music selection by voice now entirely farkled. Today asked for some Mannheim Steamroller and it played White Christmas by Bing Crosby. Repeated the same request later, same result. Asked for Beatles and it played Gloria Estefan. Sigh.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MrShakeHands
@lakemirror , sorry if this sounds dumb but have you tried some of the reboot options ... most impactful AFAIK is using 'Power Off' from the security menu then sitting in the drivers seat for a minute or two before hitting the brake.

More commands below to try.

There is a Google spreadsheet where people are trying to build a list of all of the commands: V10.2 Tesla Voice Commands

But it isn't complete. (I've submitted a bunch of additions but they haven't shown up yet.)

@lakemirror , sorry if this sounds dumb but have you tried some of the reboot options ... most impactful AFAIK is using 'Power Off' from the security menu then sitting in the drivers seat for a minute or two before hitting the brake.

More commands below to try.

I've rebooted a half a dozen times and done the power-off from the menu. Nada.

I had an appointment scheduled at my local SC yesterday to cure the yellowed MCU. Of course after making the 40 minute trip the tech told me the UV tool is broken and the SC is waiting for another! Not to waste a trip I asked them to get my voice commands working again. I explained that I had updated to 40.50 on 12/24 and that is when the problem started. I left the SC in a loaner with 64k miles on it, a message that the TPM system has a fault, and with a damaged right rear quarter panel. I did rejoice that at least I had transportation.

I was notified late afternoon that my Tesla was ready for pickup. The invoice showed that the left side microphone was replaced as a solution to the voice command problem! The checkout guy was a different person than the one I talked with at check in and he said he had never heard of the voice commands being lost after an update! Guess they have no time to read this forum!

Still no voice commands, but at least I am on the "call list" to come in when the UV tool is working. Tesla, the future of EV, is fast becoming the Ford customer service of today!

The issue on my Tesla Model 3 HW3 & (2) of my buddies:
- Voice commands not responding to my voice
- Voice commands not recognizing commands
- Voice commands just not working lol

Troubleshooting:
- Soft Reboot—(hold both roller balls on steering wheel down until Tesla logo appears on middle screen) = [Issue unresolved]
- Hard Reboot—(hold both roller balls on steering wheel down + brake until Tesla log appears on middle screen) = [Issue unresolved]
- Power Off—(select "power off" from the security menu sitting in the driver's seat for a minute or two before hitting the brake) = [Issue unresolved]

Rumors/Suggestion:
- Voice commands are pulled/pushed from a centralized server that is being overloaded. I believed that for the first few days but now Tesla DEV's should have resolved the issue unless they're all on holiday lol. Possibly with a new update, they will centralize more of the voice commands to the car specific. This would probably require HW3 cars, maybe HW2.5 could pull from the server if they're not powerful enough.

Well.... time to hold out for more information or a release update.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I have owned Tesla's since 12/2015 and I always had to HOLD DOWN the mic button while I spoke a command. I continued this hold and speak method of issuing voice commands after the 40.50 update. Then I read a comment that we no longer need to hold and speak! Just tap the button on activate the mic and speak the command. I tried that today and all voice commands are 100%. However, when I use my hold AND speak the command either does not appear on the dash display...or it displays but does not execute!

2019.40.50.1 update.

voice commands are now a disaster. Calling and navigation now don’t work. All the new features nada too. Many reboots did not help.

The issue on my Tesla Model 3 HW3 & (2) of my buddies:
- Voice commands not responding to my voice
- Voice commands not recognizing commands
- Voice commands just not working lol

Troubleshooting:
- Soft Reboot—(hold both roller balls on steering wheel down until Tesla logo appears on middle screen) = [Issue unresolved]
- Hard Reboot—(hold both roller balls on steering wheel down + brake until Tesla log appears on middle screen) = [Issue unresolved]
- Power Off—(select "power off" from the security menu sitting in the driver's seat for a minute or two before hitting the brake) = [Issue unresolved]

Rumors/Suggestion:
- Voice commands are pulled/pushed from a centralized server that is being overloaded. I believed that for the first few days but now Tesla DEV's should have resolved the issue unless they're all on holiday lol. Possibly with a new update, they will centralize more of the voice commands to the car specific. This would probably require HW3 cars, maybe HW2.5 could pull from the server if they're not powerful enough.

Well.... time to hold out for more information or a release update.

Via Facebook:
1. Unplug flash drive for Sentry/dashcam.
2. Do a soft reboot.
3. Wait until full cellular connection (or WiFi).
Might take a minute or two before everything is working.
The service center said that the flash drive was hindering a full reboot of the communication devices.

Reactions: CASE01
The voice command issue that was created by 2019.40.50.1 in our Raven X was just fixed in 2019.40.50.5. The update arrived this evening and preliminary tests showed it worked flawlessly, including keyboard dictation. This was not the case before, when I had to repeat commands, yell, or it just plain didn’t work. I didn’t instigate any reboots or anything beyond what the update does automatically.

YAY! I just tried nctalkinghead’s method re engaging the microphone and voila, everything works!
Thanks for posting that, as I’d previously always held the button in continuously while issuing a command, like you.

FYI, initially after first downloading 50.1, nothing was displayed on a command. Did a soft reboot and commands now showed but did nothing (holding mic down continuously). Single press/release got this working.

My X is a July 2018 build, 2.5 hdw.