Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Commands not working & car reducing my iPhone ringer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TWO problems driving me crazy.

1) I don't know what update caused this problem, but I'm all up to date on my Model S, manufactured in June 2017 (so hardware ver. 2.0), but my car no longer responds to voice commands...no navigation commands, no music play commands. Who knows what's going on here and what can I do about it?

No, I didn't find this already on the forum.

2) Here's a really weird one: Somehow the car is turning down the ringer volume on my iphone 7 (with the latest ios version) spontaneously. This is only affecting my phone ringer volume, not other phone volumes like alerts or music or siri. This problem may have started at the same time as #1 above, but I'm not sure. I haven't been able to nail down exactly under what circumstances this occurs, but it is definitely happening ONLY when I am driving my car or maybe when I am leaving my car. I always play music in my car and of course adjust car sound volume up and down. But I am not playing music FROM my phone when this problem occurs. So somehow the car is controlling my phone when it shouldn't have any interaction with my phone at all.

Anybody else experience this or knows what's going on?

1) I don't know what update caused this problem, but I'm all up to date on my Model S, manufactured in June 2017 (so hardware ver. 2.0), but my car no longer responds to voice commands...no navigation commands, no music play commands. Who knows what's going on here and what can I do about it?

2) Here's a really weird one: Somehow the car is turning down the ringer volume on my iphone 7 (with the latest ios version) spontaneously. This is only affecting my phone ringer volume, not other phone volumes like alerts or music or siri. This problem may have started at the same time as #1 above, but I'm not sure. I haven't been able to nail down exactly under what circumstances this occurs, but it is definitely happening ONLY when I am driving my car or maybe when I am leaving my car. I always play music in my car and of course adjust car sound volume up and down. But I am not playing music FROM my phone when this problem occurs. So somehow the car is controlling my phone when it shouldn't have any interaction with my phone at all.

I have a May 2019 Raven S L+ and it no longer responds to voice commands either. I have done everything EXCEPT a full reset back to ground zero, which by the way is not worth the CHANCE that it will fix it. I have no idea what Tesla did to cause the issue and it is very annoying. Especially considering it affect MCU1 & 2 and HW 2+ and 3. No rhyme or reason

Your voice issue description is scarce, so maybe if you add some details, that could help (how you use it, does it show part of your command or does it just do nothing and shows you the usual commands...)

Anyway, voice has been discussed in several threads, but a frequently reported issue is the change on how to activate: ensure you just click once to start the voice command recording. Do not keep the voice button pressed while talking. And don't click a second time to mark the end of your command.

Personally, I noticed it works quite well right after a reboot but some days later, it becomes like deaf: it won't even display what I said. So indeed it does not work anymore. Back to rebooting then.

Your voice issue description is scarce, so maybe if you add some details, that could help (how you use it, does it show part of your command or does it just do nothing and shows you the usual commands...)

Anyway, voice has been discussed in several threads, but a frequently reported issue is the change on how to activate: ensure you just click once to start the voice command recording. Do not keep the voice button pressed while talking. And don't click a second time to mark the end of your command.

Personally, I noticed it works quite well right after a reboot but some days later, it becomes like deaf: it won't even display what I said. So indeed it does not work anymore. Back to rebooting then.

Try to push for 2 sec the two buttons under the largers buttons "the molettes" to reactivate micro and sound I had this problem just after an update it's like a "mute mode"

Try to push for 2 sec the two buttons under the largers buttons "the molettes" to reactivate micro and sound I had this problem just after an update it's like a "mute mode"
So I gave it a try and it's not working. :(
I tried to push both button together, a few second, 10 seconds, separately,...

Can you elaborate on how you do it?

Thanks for the response. I am aware of the current way of issuing voice commands...press once, wait for beep, say command. Then wait. The car behaves as if I never said anything and gives up waiting. I just got a response from Tesla on this 5 minutes ago: "Known firmware issue."

The other responder who talked about pressing smaller buttons...I'm not sure what he is saying, but now I will go out and experiment with that.

I believe it's your iPhone that is reducing its own volume when it connects to your vehicle over bluetooth. I believe this is an Apple issue.

Thank you for responding. Yes, the phone mutes its itunes volume when I get in the car, but I am talking about the ringer volume, which is independently controlled on the iPhone (independent from Siri and music volume). Who's issue it is I can't tell...I don't know the details of the procedures the car and phone use to link together for music and calling. A good, reasonably technical explanation of the communication protocol steps occuring between the phone and car would be helpful. But I haven't seen that published anywhere.

Thanks for the response. I am aware of the current way of issuing voice commands...press once, wait for beep, say command. Then wait. The car behaves as if I never said anything and gives up waiting. I just got a response from Tesla on this 5 minutes ago: "Known firmware issue."

The other responder who talked about pressing smaller buttons...I'm not sure what he is saying, but now I will go out and experiment with that.

Let us know if that trick worked, it did not for me.
Reboot does fix it for me though.
So the usual : wait on next update it is.

Alan,

Im having both issues. AP2.5/MCU1. Voice commands haven’t worked at all in recent updates (it’ll listen, and sometimes show me predictive text of what I said, but it doesn’t relay anything back to the mothership and the request just disappears).

For the cell phone issue - my MCU/iPhone have a weird relationship, but I’ll see the volume on my phone sporadically going up/down while connected. Not sure who’s at fault (my money is Tesla) but it is annoying.