Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice commands suddenly not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hff and a mobile tech out for a door handle issue. I mentioned it to him and he requested an update be pushed out and I am now on release 21.9. While I haven't used it extensively, my initial assessment is that it is much better.

Tried a few times several weeks ago to do 'bug report' and didn't get too far (now that we're told that that command actually does work <hmphh>). It didn't do word recog at all well. I'm thinking, as others are, that the 'brain' is having issues. Perhaps overloaded? It's very hard to do a bug report like 'curved line at Stonecroft confused AP; needs to be looked at' when 80% of the words aren't recognized and you want it to take the car info snapshot RIGHT NOW to include with it. Lol... Wonder if we need to pull over to do a bug report to have it be locationally useful?

It did recently do simple things okay (navigate to grasonville supercharger), which took a couple of tries. It does seem to learn; we used that on a return leg and it got it the first time, for example.

Not sure 'yelling' should be better unless we're having the microphone issues in Model X's! :D

(Most of what I do with voice is bug reports and simple nav... have to try more and see if things have improved or not.)

I'm on 21.9, and had the same issue a couple of days ago - try to make a phone call, first press activates the system but it doesn't hear my voice command and a further press does not deactivate the system. Have to wait for it to time out, then try again. Eventually I stopped trying and dialed using the screen. I don't use voice often enough for it to be a real hassle, just for phone calls usually, but it's still super-annoying.

Reactions: GreenT
Same here....voice commands now virtually useless and has been since I got my new MCU installed (v 1 - yellow border issue) a couple weeks ago. Called Tesla and they say the new software update should fix it - I should get it pushed to me Monday or a Tuesday.

I'm on 21.9, and had the same issue a couple of days ago - try to make a phone call, first press activates the system but it doesn't hear my voice command and a further press does not deactivate the system. Have to wait for it to time out, then try again. Eventually I stopped trying and dialed using the screen. I don't use voice often enough for it to be a real hassle, just for phone calls usually, but it's still super-annoying.

Same. Has been the same for a few software releases.

I had the problem over the past few days but an MCU reboot (press both scroll buttons for 10s) resolved it completely.
I tried this when my voice command stopped working and it did the trick. Since the most recent update (i.e. V 9.0) I’ve noticed that occasionally the celluar connection drops in areas where I know there are plenty of antennae and normally good reception. There must be a bug in the update.

Yes. This happens to us most of the time. The voice command just behaves as if we said nothing at all. I cannot figure out why it hears us sometimes but not others. Our car is brand new (we took delivery in late September), but this issue seems to have gotten worse over time.

Moreover, I'm fairly unimpressed with the limited functionality of the voice command feature. Other cars that are older and cost one fifth of the price have voice commands that work flawlessly and control many more functions in the car (such as environmental controls). As far as I can tell, the Tesla voice command only does four things: i) plays music, ii) navigates the car, iii) makes phone calls, and iv) sends bug reports. Am I missing anything?

Always on the second try, you say?

Lucky.

Mine usually works (2015 Model S70D), but occasionally just won't. One day last week, I was showing my sister how the Santa Claus "Easter Egg" works. When I tried to shut it off by repeating the phrase "Ho Ho Ho," the voice command could not interpret what I said. later it could not accept a navigation instruction. So I wondered if using the Easter Egg somehow threw it out of service.

I cancelled the Santa Claus routine using the menu, and the voice control worked for navigation the next time i tried it, a day or two later. Coincidence? No idea.

Yes. This happens to us most of the time. The voice command just behaves as if we said nothing at all. I cannot figure out why it hears us sometimes but not others. Our car is brand new (we took delivery in late September), but this issue seems to have gotten worse over time.

Moreover, I'm fairly unimpressed with the limited functionality of the voice command feature. Other cars that are older and cost one fifth of the price have voice commands that work flawlessly and control many more functions in the car (such as environmental controls). As far as I can tell, the Tesla voice command only does four things: i) plays music, ii) navigates the car, iii) makes phone calls, and iv) sends bug reports. Am I missing anything?

Same here, voice command working is a total crapshoot. Worst voice command on any car I've owned.

Same thing was happening to me. I've got MS 2016 couple weeks ago and it was acting funny day 1. Last week I dropped it for a service and of cause it worked no problem for them (lucky me). They checked all the HW connection, mike wiring, etc. Today it was working fine whole day and at the evening stopped. This time I even took a video so I have a proof for next service visit.. Will see what they will say then :)

I must say, the voice command feature has improved markedly over the past few months. I'm not sure which OTA update fixed this, but it's much better now.

I also understand that Tesla is going to constantly add new functions to their repertoire of voice commands.

I've seen several posts like yours and it makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with mine ? I struggle with mine constantly. Many times the circle just spins for a minute without a prompt, then when I get a prompt my command is only accepted half the time. It does not seem to be related to connectivity because the indicator is showing two or more bars usually.

• Love
Reactions: GreenT