TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

voice commands

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Thebluebird, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Thebluebird

Thebluebird Member

My Model S is not recognizing voice commands. Or it will work once, then it doesn't again. Constantly resetting can't be the solution.

2. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

Yep--- The voice command in the Tesla is the crappiest I've had in any car over the last ten years. My son's Model 3 is the same. Total hit or miss. Resetting doesn't always help mine.

3. Markk993

Markk993 Member

agreed... sometimes it works perfectly other times it seems like it does not hear anything I am saying... frustrating

4. AustinP

AustinP Active Member

Works great for me. Calling, asking a direction or searching for a song are working great for me. My car is setup in French. It is so brilliant that I can mix the French command with a English song name. This is compared to the unusable -for me- Audi system in my previous A4.
    I do reckon that if 3G coverage is weak or plain not there, voice commands do not work. Which is expected for a online system.

5. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Works terrifically for me.

BUT, as has been said, this an online system and therefore you need solid cell connection from your car.

6. Agassi

Agassi Member

I agree the voice commands in Model S are very limited. Recently , my touch screen has been disabled for a week and I could barely do anything with the voice commands. I have documented my experience here:

When Model S Touch Screen is Disabled | Agassi Tesla

I think Tesla need to work on adding more voice commands.

7. tkdkenny

tkdkenny Member

Mine worked fine until V9, now it doesn't hear me at all. It's not even registering, not a word. I was hoping it was a known issue like the Spotify bug. Maybe it's language specific.

8. Agassi

Agassi Member

I also do get this problem occasionally. The system would not hear what I say. None of the words are being recognized and shown in the driver display. I noticed that this sometimes occurs because I loose connection to LTE or Wifi. I do not think it is a language issue.
    Sometimes, I had to restart the system in order to put it back up running. Must be some bug.

9. Rushwald

Rushwald New Member

I have a model 3 and an iphone 7. the voice recognition has worked perfectly for the entire year i've had the car. however, all of a sudden the voice recognition doesn't work for either phone call, music or navigation. it's like it doesn't hear me at all. any ideas on what is happening?

10. Reddy Kilowatt

My S stopped recognizing my voice command about a year ago. I've had it into Tesla twice for repairs they did a Parrot card re-flash with no luck. they said V 10 was going to fix it and that didn't work either.

Anyone have any luck with V10 helping the issue?

11. Reddy Kilowatt

I did have an issue once but and I phone update fixed it within days. No matter what I do the car voice doesn't recognize my voice phone or not.

Did you reset your car? two thumb wheels and or power down the car to see if it resets. Another member suggested I do each twice. that didn't work on my car. Tesla will also tell you to do a reset also.