Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Commands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm afraid I've given up on Tesla's voice commands. Even basic commands to call or phone someone won't work. Asking it to navigate somewhere is pointless if not comical. Asking it to play music is atrocious.

I fitted a charging plate for my Samsung Note 9 and I just say 'ok google' and then the command and it all works using the phones voice recognition and let the phone select the music on 'Google music' or 'YouTube Music'. Google assistant on the phone has no trouble understanding me.

I haven't to be honest used used Tesla's voice commands to control the functions of the car such as open glove box.

I do think Tesla have to improve this area of the car.

Reactions: Wol747
Bit of an old chestnut this one…

I’m still struggling with changing DAB radio stations. It should be easy FFS.
All I want generally is to swap from BBC radio 2 to BBC radio 4 and back again.
I’ve tried “play radio 2” which works and jumps from radio 4 to radio 2. But “play radio 4” says it’s playing radio 4 and carries on playing radio 2 or pulls something off tunein.

previous cars had button or field 1, 2,3 and so on and each station was assigned a number. Is that the problem here? Have I set radio 2 to number 2? Is there even a number?

Anyone have the definitive answer.

The voice control works reasonably, better than the MBUX I had previously where it talked back.
I use it for calling people, raising and lowering the temperature, turning heated seats off.
I also like the read out and reply to SMS.

It would be nice to have a list of recognised word commands.

Bit of an old chestnut this one…

I’m still struggling with changing DAB radio stations. It should be easy FFS.
All I want generally is to swap from BBC radio 2 to BBC radio 4 and back again.
I’ve tried “play radio 2” which works and jumps from radio 4 to radio 2. But “play radio 4” says it’s playing radio 4 and carries on playing radio 2 or pulls something off tunein.

previous cars had button or field 1, 2,3 and so on and each station was assigned a number. Is that the problem here? Have I set radio 2 to number 2? Is there even a number?

Anyone have the definitive answer.

Crikey, you've already done better than me! I've never managed to change a radio station by voice. Last time I tried I couldn't even switch between sound sources.

I am of the view that voice recognition should be feasible to offer for all the basic car control functions without having to do the external computational thing. We all know that voice recognition in the full sense requires massive computation but fixed responses to easily anticipated commands should not be an issue. Back in the 1990s old Mac computers could reliably respond to voice commands for set functions years before full dictation was possible. These machines had the computational power of an abacus in comparison to what the Tesla has onboard.

The voice control works reasonably, better than the MBUX I had previously where it talked back.
I use it for calling people, raising and lowering the temperature, turning heated seats off.
I also like the read out and reply to SMS.

It would be nice to have a list of recognised word commands.

There's a list of commands in the manual. Whether they are RECOGNISED is s different thing all together. Mostly works, most of the time. YMMV. To turn up the heat say "my balls are cold" ;-)

I say “call Matt” and it starts to navigate somewhere. It’s really poor and in all the years it’s never gotten better.

If you say “caaaaaaaarl Matt” sometimes it works. I often forget to say “dial” or “phone”.

Voice control in the U.K. is absolutely dire.