TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Voice Control Not Linked To Navigation Favorites?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Petra, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Petra

Petra Member

So, I normally don't use the voice commands but was messing around with them yesterday and I noticed that, while the car will navigate to places of interest via voice command in v8.0, asking the car to navigate to a user created navigation favorite (with a custom title) doesn't seem to work. Based on the feedback from the car, it correctly picks up what I'm saying but seems unable to match that with the identically named item in navigation favorites.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or, perhaps a better question, has this ever worked? I'm just curious since I don't normally use the voice commands.

2. thimel

thimel Member

I'm pretty sure the navigation voice command does a Google search and doesn't look at anything local on the car. You can navigate to someone in your contact list by saying "phone John Doe." It will bring up matching contacts and by touching the address, it will navigate there. Note this always works in 7.1. In 8.0, if there is only one matching contact, it immediately calls it without showing a list.

3. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Navigate to "Home" or "Work" is recognized. I have never tried anything else.

4. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

Home and Work, but that's it. The other favorites are not recognized by name.

5. Petra

Petra Member

That's what I figured... Though, with the new sensor suite and push for eventual level 5 autonomy in new vehicles, I could see Tesla integrating nav favorites into the voice command set at some point in the future.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

You what else voice control is not linked to? Try and voice navigate to one of your contact addresses...

7. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

Anything truly useful.

• Funny x 2
  8. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

My sister's 5 year-old Lexus has a far more robust voice navigation system that doesn't require cellular connectivity to a server in order to figure out what she is saying. Seems like Tesla's system is a big step backward.