Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, spoke to Tesla AND according to their technicians, I’m already on the latest software (2020.36.11)

I was of the belief there were updates since then? According to Tesla......no.

You're on the latest software available for your particular car. That's not the same thing as the latest software that has been released for other cars ... even ones of the same age and model as yours... yes, it's an odd way of doing things!

So, spoke to Tesla AND according to their technicians, I’m already on the latest software (2020.36.11)

I was of the belief there were updates since then? According to Tesla......no.

Version is entirely dependent on a number of (mostly unknown but you can guess) factors and will be specific to your car. Both could be right. Your car may have the latest version for your car (sounds like it has) but there may be later versions that are not targeting your car. You have limited control over when your car will be targeted. Standard/Advanced may control how your specific targeting is delayed.

In the past there were times that voice control was unreliable until the car was rebooted with all usb drives etc disconnected, same symptoms as those described. Might be worth trying if you car is consistently unreliable.

Until they process the commands in the car first, and then farm the 'cloud' type commands via the LTE connection this is not going to work well. So if you ask for seat heaters off, the car will understand it and do it, if you ask to play Bob Marley, it'll send that via LTE and process it on Tesla servers to send back to the car. This way the car can time out and say something like unable to process your command at this time, please try later and then we'd at least know where we were. However, that means devoting some software guys to making proper useful changes like setting TACC at current speed and working voice control vs dare I say pointless games and autopilot! (Runs for cover, dons helmet)

Just in case anyone hasn't found this, voice control can be used to show various overlays without needing to touch the screen.

The words "show" or "display" often work but "display" sometimes reduces screen brightness by 30%. If so use the command "increase brightness 30%" & it returns.

Examples:
"show trips" (..."close trips" ...& etc for below)
"show tyre pressures"
"show messages"
"show calendar"
"show consumption"
"show charging" opens charge port & brings up charging screen
"display music" - brings up music full screen view ("close music" clears completely but if minimised view was previously selected it doesn't return to that unfortunately)

...."show Map" (clears screen to just map view, no music)

There are several more but these are what I mostly use.

In spite of working perfectly in the past, since 2022.20.7 (& .8) saying the word "trips" always shows the word 'tricks' & 'command not recognised' which is ridiculous because it always worked previously & the word is so similar.

One letter difference - not recognised.

However, over the past few days I have played around with various pronunciations & it seems that saying "cherrrips" works every time & the correct card opens.

...whereas "USB" frequently brings up 'USP' on the screen before instantly changing to 'USB' and then the media player changing & playing where it left off.

One letter difference - recognised.

In spite of working perfectly in the past, since 2022.20.7 (& .8) saying the word "trips" always shows the word 'tricks' & 'command not recognised' which is ridiculous because it always worked previously & the word is so similar.

One letter difference - not recognised.

However, over the past few days I have played around with various pronunciations & it seems that saying "cherrrips" works every time & the correct card opens.

...whereas "USB" frequently brings up 'USP' on the screen before instantly changing to 'USB' and then the media player changing & playing where it left off.

One letter difference - recognised.
To me that looks connectivity related. The example of USP USB delay is the car's initial onboard analysis (wrong) quickly followed up by the correct analysis from a Tesla central computer via LTE. The car itself usually fails miserably unless you have an excellent LTE connection. It's strange that it worked more consistently in the past though ...

My in car microphone doesn't appear to work at all at the moment, and hasn't since a couple of updates. No one can hear me on calls, and pressing the scroll wheel doesn't register any words spoken.

Not done a service request yet because it is apparently something others have experienced. Was going to wait until I got 2022.24.5 to see if it was fixed.

(Cool story etc)

To me that looks connectivity related. The example of USP USB delay is the car's initial onboard analysis (wrong) quickly followed up by the correct analysis from a Tesla central computer via LTE. The car itself usually fails miserably unless you have an excellent LTE connection. It's strange that it worked more consistently in the past though ...
I have countless examples over the past 2.5 years on 2 cars with full LTE signal and it just not working, coming up with completely random words, instead of calling someone, it decides to navigate to a random destination. 3 years ago it worked perfectly until they did an update and it stopped working, bizarre!

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
@Adopado i don’t think it’s connectivity related as I live in a city with 4g/5g basically everywhere & being retired my journey patterns have been similar since early 2020 when I got the car. Voice recognition has always been used by myself & my wife and things that used to be recognised every time no longer are.

Maybe adding native English as an in car option has had a negative influence on voice recognition.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
My in car microphone doesn't appear to work at all at the moment, and hasn't since a couple of updates. No one can hear me on calls, and pressing the scroll wheel doesn't register any words spoken.

Not done a service request yet because it is apparently something others have experienced. Was going to wait until I got 2022.24.5 to see if it was fixed.

(Cool story etc)
Don’t hold your breath. We might get lumbered with 2020.20.9 instead. …if it fixes the alarm that is 😂

A further update - since 36.1 (& 36.2, now 36.5) however I try to pronounce the word "trips", it more often than not brings up.... 'tourettes - command not recognised'

Tesla is not only programming multiple bugs into their software, it is now accurately predicting my reactions.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MrBadger and Dilly