Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find that I never use voice control but feel like I should.

What do you use it for? What commands work best?

Try things like these:

Calling:

Call Bob
Call Jim Wilson
Call Kelly Jones

Navigation:

Drive to work
Drive to Home
Drive to Denver Airport
Drive to Pepsi Center
Drive to Pablo’s Coffee on 6th avenue

Music:

Listen to Pearl Jam
Play Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones
Play Hotel California by The Eagles
Play Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin

The voice control is excellent for what it is, but unfortunately covers too few items. In most areas, voice control is the future interface of choice (Amazon Echo, Siri, Google) and tesla is positioned to get the type of buzz it would deserve by enhancing this interface. Unfortunately, they have done zero with this since the Model S came out.

I spoke with a manager at a Tesla Store recently about this, and the enhanced safety of being able to use voice control rather than taking my eye off the road to go to the touchscreen (for something I couldn't do from the steering wheel). He intimated that all guns at Tesla were targeting autopilot and voice command wasn't a priority because once autopilot was perfected a driver wouldn't need voice command -- you could reach for the touch screen while the car did the driving for you. Mistake.

And the annoying thing about the voice control for making calls is you still have to look down and touch the phone record to make the call which is not as safe as my phone automatically dialing for me when it finds the unique record. I wish they allowed it to make the call when it only found one record that matched your voice command.

Reactions: brooklynrab
100% real exchange between me and my S:

"Play Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia"
"Pen discourse at the Bellagio"

Uhh... Not exactly what I had in mind, but I can see how you made that mistake...

Let's try again, shall we?

"Soccer Austin"

What?? How...??? Ok, now you're just messing with me! Let's try one last time:

"Play Hariprasad Chaurasia"
"Honey for sore throat nausea"

I give up...

"Navigate to Sumas"
"Sue me"

you could reach for the touch screen while the car did the driving for you. Mistake.

Uhh, no.

• Funny
Reactions: 2krazykats
The only thing I use voice control on the S for is calling people. Even then, I don't like the fact that I have to select an entry on the touchscreen if an entry has multiple numbers. In addition, holding down the voice control button the entire time is annoying as well. I find that Siri on my iPhone is nominally better, including stuff like sports scores and playing almost any music I can think of with an Apple Music subscription.

Reactions: David29
I wish voice control would work with Siri. Ability to ask questions etc would be super helpful.

If you have an iPhone paired up via Bluetooth to the car and also have "Hey Siri" enabled, you should be able to say/shout out "Hey Siri" at any time and then speak a command to the phone, all without touching the phone or looking away. However, it doesn't always work for me, and because I'm listening to music that's a bit loud sometimes, shouting out the words Hey Siri isn't so fun. Instead, I'll just reach down to my phone on the floor of the center console and just hold the Home button down for about 2 seconds. That will always activate Siri, and then I just say the commands. Even that isn't foolproof all of the time, and sometimes it still takes a few tries to get a music selection right, but more often than not it does work.

All that just to say that somebody should really be working on improving voice control!

If you have an iPhone paired up via Bluetooth to the car and also have "Hey Siri" enabled, you should be able to say/shout out "Hey Siri" at any time and then speak a command to the phone, all without touching the phone or looking away. However, it doesn't always work for me, and because I'm listening to music that's a bit loud sometimes, shouting out the words Hey Siri isn't so fun. Instead, I'll just reach down to my phone on the floor of the center console and just hold the Home button down for about 2 seconds. That will always activate Siri, and then I just say the commands. Even that isn't foolproof all of the time, and sometimes it still takes a few tries to get a music selection right, but more often than not it does work.

All that just to say that somebody should really be working on improving voice control!
Didn't know that. Will give it a try. Thanks!

100% real exchange between me and my S:

"Pen discourse at the Bellagio"

Uhh... Not exactly what I had in mind, but I can see how you made that mistake...

My problem is I can't get my car to recognize my own last name (to call my wife at home). Have no accent or drawl. But my last name is Sandhaus:

"Call Dot Sandhaus"

Call Santa? Not found.

CALL. . . DOT . . . SAND. . . HOUSE!

Call Doctor Santa? Not found.

Oh well

• Funny
Reactions: 2krazykats
My problem is I can't get my car to recognize my own last name (to call my wife at home). Have no accent or drawl. But my last name is Sandhaus:

"Call Dot Sandhaus"

Call Santa? Not found.

CALL. . . DOT . . . SAND. . . HOUSE!

Call Doctor Santa? Not found.

Oh well

You could add an extra entry in your phone directory that is more unmistakably heard, or less likely to be confused as something else. Use a code word, have some fun with it.

How about Home Hotline.

Call Home Hotline!

Or impress your wife....

Call Gorgeous Woman!

... you can thank me later.

Try things like these:

Calling:

Call Bob
Call Jim Wilson
Call Kelly Jones

Navigation:

Drive to work
Drive to Home
Drive to Denver Airport
Drive to Pepsi Center
Drive to Pablo’s Coffee on 6th avenue

Music:

Listen to Pearl Jam
Play Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones
Play Hotel California by The Eagles
Play Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin

I find that it is not very useful because it syncs the entire list of 2k contacts from my phone. There is no way to selective sync a group (which exist on the phone) or just favorites. Combine that with people I call not having good anglo-saxon names and I'm back to dialing numbers :-(