Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice controls for self driving Tesla - improved on 2017 hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone spent much time thinking of how the control interface will work when Tesla turns on full self driving?

Obviously telling the car to drive to an address will be a capability the current cars can handle - but beyond that I wonder if Elon's "spaceship controls" hint is something designed to make modifying routes, passing cars, etc. a more intuitive and elegant task than is possible with the current cars.

For example what if you want to pass the 18 wheeler truck you're cruising behind in a 2016 AP 2.0 car. Will you be able to say "Tesla please pass this truck" and have the car understand your intention? What about "Tesla, I need to pee. Please stop at the next gas station." "Tesla let's take the carpool lane" "Tesla please escape from the CHP who just lit us up for doing 85"

etc. etc. Also the current cars make you press the steering wheel button to be heard - rather than a pure voice imprint system like Amazon's Alexa and some Motorola phones.

If voice recognition is processed by the MCU, and if the MCU is already at its limit then it would seem that a more elegant user interface for self driving may not happen until the MCU is updated next year.

Am I full of crap or way off base on this theory?