Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I downloaded 50.7 two days ago. Since then I notice that about 80 percent of the time voice commands are not working - if I press the button for a voice command it does not hear my voice and all and just prompts me to talk. Other times it will sit like its waiting for me to talk for 30 or 45 seconds and then show what I said when I first pressed the button.

Any ideas? Anyone else seeing this? It’s almost like I have a bad microphone or something like that.
FYI - I did a reboot of the system once and voice worked for a bit after that but then stopped working again.

Last edited:
Reactions: fiatlux
i see pretty much the same thing on 50.1. If I tap the green mic icon to close the session and then try again, it will barely usually (60% ?) work the next time. The voice commands are pretty much not practica/usable for me at this point. I was hoping 50.5 would fix it, but that download has been stuck for about a week :( - hoping it can be resumed by service soon.

i see pretty much the same thing on 50.1. If I tap the green mic icon to close the session and then try again, it will barely usually (60% ?) work the next time. The voice commands are pretty much not practica/usable for me at this point. I was hoping 50.5 would fix it, but that download has been stuck for about a week :( - hoping it can be resumed by service soon.

My download was “unstuck” by Tesla remote service and I am now on 50.7. I used voice commands 2 times today. First time, it worked on the first attempt. Second time, it failed four times and worked on the fifth attempt.

At this point, I think it’s more of a safety reduction due to the distraction factor. :mad:

Same here. Voice commands are hot garbage. Not only that, my wife's name is Dorie and when I say "call Dorie" it reads Dory and says that contact does not exist. I never had that issue on previous versions. Major step backwards this update. Answering texts is useless as well.

Reactions: cbaaz
It's the same for me. Has anyone experimented to see if there are any parameters that make it more likely to work? For example, speaking more loudly, waiting a second before talking, etc?
everything i see posted has been anecdotal. i think we need to first understand if voice control is server-side (has to fetch translation) or client-side (loaded locally). if server-side, it's probably dropping a ping/handshake and the transaction never completes. if client-side, there's likely an out-of-order things of processing happening and it gets tripped up on the command.

when i first got the feature, it worked fine for a couple days, then completely bombed. after the latest update it will work to initiate an SMS but will never take anything to dictate said message.

i haven't figured out how "submit a bug report" works, but i've been doing it almost every time.

Dito since (at least) 50.5. But as long as I hold down the right wheel and speak slowly, until I see it registered on the screen, it works. I used to be able to press once then say whatever and it handled it.

I'm wondering if this might be some hardware 3 thing (longer time to process on older hardware).

Can't find where I read this however, I remember reading that after these updates on the new voice commands to do a reboot with any or all USB ports disconnected. Something about that module could not reboot for the USB's still in place.

Thank you for posting this......

I tried it today. Pulled *ALL* USB cables and rebooted. So far, voice is WORKING 100% (roughly 10/10).

Granted, I'm only 1 datapoint with about 10 samples, but it's sure as hell worth a try.

I am using german language. Voice input now works very consistently, but using anything other than complete known phrases does not. For example:

Navigate home - works
Navigate to work - works
Navigate to example road 5 - unknown command.
Open glovebox - works

Interestingly the error message is in english even though system language and my spoken words are german. Text is recognized correctly, just not acted upon.

Tried rebooting, tried changing language to english and then back again. No joy.

Workaround: press navigate, THEN use voice input to "type" in the address box, then press return.